How do we regain custody of our child?

Here's the place to discuss how to win in juvenile courtrooms.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Ambersmom

How do we regain custody of our child?

Postby Ambersmom » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 am

Does anyone know if you can regain custody of your child once they have been adopted out? I understand that once parental rights are terminated, the child is free to be placed for adoption. However, in our case we believe the adoption was near complete before our parental rights were terminated. Social workers basically admitted in court that they had a prospective adoptive parent for our child and that this person had been in the picture for many months prior. We have the court transcripts in which they admit this in court. And of course the judge did absolutely nothing about it.
We miss our daughter terribly and cry for her nearly every day. Is there any way we can find out the date the adoption was complete? Because of course we can't get any information from child services. If we can find the proof that she was adopted out before our parental rights were terminated we could perhaps sue them for custody and violation of our constitutional rights. Thanks for any help available.

family_man

Re: How do we regain custody of our child?

Postby family_man » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:05 pm

They may have had someone all lined up and ready to adopt your child before your TPR. The adoption wasn't finalized until your TPR was.

I have heard of parents appealing their TPR if there was some aspect of the trial that was improper; e.g., perjured or withheld evidence. This is the only way I can think of to reverse the adoption.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Ambersmom

Re: How do we regain custody of our child?

Postby Ambersmom » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for your advice. We are trying everything we possibly can. Thank you.

Return to “Juvenile Court”