future children 2

How does one recover from trauma and PTSD? This area is for people who have been attacked by CPS and are having a hard time getting over it.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

ChristopherWayne

future children 2

Postby ChristopherWayne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:54 pm

I live in NC and my rights were recently terminated from my first little girl, we are the process of appeal right now, I am also 6 months pregnant with my seconed child now. My court appointed lawyer tried to get me to voluntarily sign my rights away to my first child, saying that if i didnt and the court terminated them they had grounds to take my second child at birth. I just couldnt believe they could do something like that and therefore, couldnt bring myself to sign away my rights, still having hope that i will one day get my little girl back. Is it true that now that the courts terminated my rights they have the grounds to take the child I am pregnant with now. And does anyone know a website I can go to that tells the laws for each state about this topic.

perfectly_flawed

Re: future children 2

Postby perfectly_flawed » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't know the specific laws about taking future children, but I can tell you that at least where I live, they do it often. A friend of mine who I met in the CPS ordered parenting classes dealt with this. Her oldest 2 children had been taken due to her living conditions at the time. They were placed in foster care and the youngest of the two died while there. She became pregnant a couple years later and they also took that baby straight from the hospital. 2 years later she got pregnant again. This time, instead of taking the baby, they used baby #4 as a bargaining tool. They let her keep that one if she willingly signed all rights to the others away. She fell for it, and they still showed up and took the last baby at 6 months old.
When I got my son back and was told our case was closed I moved - as far away as I could afford to go. We're over 600 miles away now, clear on the other side of the state. I would have gone farther if I'd had the money to do it. I wouldn't trust them with any child, ever.
Nearly 8 years of torture without my son finally had a happy ending. Together now, we're trying to heal and support others that are going through similar pain.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 am

CPS got involved with my daughter-in-law's first baby because she was underage and because her own mother had been accused of neglecting her. That baby ended up with its biodad. I don't know the details of that case, but I'm guessing that the baby ended up with biodad instead of foster/adoptive parents because biodad's mom hired a good private attorney.

Anyway, DIL is now an adult, and married to my son. Because she had a previous CPS history (through no fault of her own), CPS took her second baby away from her right at the hospital. MY DIL & son have done nothing wrong, but the baby was taken away because DIL's "history" suggested that she might neglect it. In effect, she has been found guilty and sentenced for a future crime, one she had no intention of committing. One of the nurses at the hospital warned us to expect CPS every time DIL ever has another baby. She said they might even investigate when those children grow up to have babies of their own. I'm very sorry to confirm your fears, especially when you're already dealing with so much stress, but CPS does sometimes try to take the next baby away.

And does anyone know a website I can go to that tells the laws for each state about this topic.

I'm not sure, but you may be able to find the information here, if you do a little searching:
http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/ ... SearchForm
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

wlquinn

Postby wlquinn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 am

If your rights are involuntarily terminated in the state of Nebraska they will remove and file TPR on every kid you have afterward.

In your shoes and to protect the unborn child from this evil, I would move, out of state, until the appeals process is through. If you get your daughter back, then just stay out of NC to protect her future also.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:40 pm

The law that started this (taking future children from parents with prior TPRs) is ASFA - the Adoption and Safe Families Act.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:33 pm

They do this in California as well. I think they do it everywhere. It's one of the easiest baby lambs for them to devour as it does make sense. If she/he had one child removed from custody and rights terminated then they see it as every reason to take away all. It is the easiest money they make, no investigation, no nothing. I know my ex had a daughter of hers removed and his rights terminated years ago in Illinois. California investigated him using something called an ICPC investigation (interstate compact) and found the case and he was declared at our 6 mos. hearing as not appropriate to take custody. He was never contacted or told of this either.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

mamalion

Postby mamalion » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 am

can the remove future kids if they were removed and then returned? We're going to be on the registry I bet.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Yes.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm

mamalion wrote:can the remove future kids if they were removed and then returned? We're going to be on the registry I bet.

Usually they take future kids only when there was a TPR (Termination of Parental Rights). If you still have your kids you don't have to worry about them coming after you just because you had a new baby.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Blondekat

Postby Blondekat » Sat May 28, 2011 12:50 am

Yes they do they take kids from the hospital, if they can get away with it. First of all this is very important. Is it the same biological father? I had my first son removed and my rights terminated. This destroyed my family. My husband and I divorced and I met my current husband and got pregnant prior to my parental rights being terminated on my first son. When I got pregnant with Daniel, here they came to take the baby away. Then I moved out and had or asked my current husband to file a restraining order on me prior to the initial hearing "just in case". Then the new father requested all information from the last case stating that it was vital to his being able to assess whether or not his son would be in danger in my presence. At no point could they say that he wasn't a protective father and he had not been a party to the other proceedings. The judge flipped out, and we set new precedent in CA. I was allowed to move back in as long as I was monitored 24/7 and was not to be alone with my son for 6 months, all the reports came back possitive and they closed the case. (we broke up for a few weeks and then got back together) Remember, they have grounds to terminate your rights if they see fit but DO NOT HAVE GROUNDS TO REMOVE YOUR CHILD with out a report of current child abuse allegations to the new child. The MUST have a court order to remove your child unless there are excruiating circumstances. Past allegation of abuse, with a different child does not constitute grounds for emergency removal. Immediatley file harrassment law suites against the county. Get a lawyer!

Return to “Recovery From CPS Trauma”