Help for the kids?

How does one recover from trauma and PTSD? This area is for people who have been attacked by CPS and are having a hard time getting over it.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

perfectly_flawed

Help for the kids?

Postby perfectly_flawed » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm

What help is out there for the kids who have gone through the nightmare of being ripped away from their parents? My son is going through hell. He's 15, been home less than a year after being torn away for almost 8 years. He's angry at the world, doesn't trust people, can't handle being touched, and wants to blow up the CPS office and workers.
For the entire time he was away, therapy was used as a threat to get him to do what they wanted. If he acted angry, he was threatened with a mental health hospital and drugs. Now he doesn't trust counselors and he's terrified of trying to reach out to anyone but me, and I don't know how to help him.
Any ideas? Suggestions? Help?
Nearly 8 years of torture without my son finally had a happy ending. Together now, we're trying to heal and support others that are going through similar pain.

LindaJM

Re: Help for the kids?

Postby LindaJM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 pm

How about counseling with a minister? Or group meetings for teenage boys? My son was in one that wasn't actually "therapy" but did provide a place for teen boys to express their feelings.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

perfectly_flawed

Postby perfectly_flawed » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

A minister isn't an option. He was dragged to so many religious meetings and places that now he wants nothing to do with any of it. I don't know what kinds of groups might be around here but I'll look into them. Any ideas where to start the search? We're in a very small town that doesn't have much to offer. I'm really hoping to have the finances to move us soon but for right now we're stuck here.
They've done so much damage to him that it still breaks my heart. When he was taken, he was a happy well adjusted boy with a quick smile. Now he's an angry, sullen teen who doesn't trust anyone. I have his trust, but it's a hard road to keep it because he sees everything as an attack on him.
Nearly 8 years of torture without my son finally had a happy ending. Together now, we're trying to heal and support others that are going through similar pain.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:49 am

Have you had any luck in finding counseling for your child? I too live in a small town and recently the only behavioral health therapist stopped coming out here so I know resources can be very limited. Usually there's a counselor or therapist available through the public school. Does your child attend public school?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Blondekat

Postby Blondekat » Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Trust is something that needs to be built, during the years that he learned these valuable skills, he was in the system. Now, he is a teenager- hormones and such. Watch your reactions when he becomes upset, becareul not to send out "triggers". Also, meditation helps. When I got my sister back at that age out of the system, it was terrible to deal with her and she just wanted to be out of the system and on her own. The only way that I could ensure that she never returned was to help her get emancipated. So thats what she did. When he does turn 18 remind him to have his name removed from the child abuse index, this will help him in the future with your grandchildren. I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I did with my sister. She was at the age that she got sick of these "Adults" making decisions in her life and I could only be there as a console, this gave her a greater trust in me as a person because essentially what I did was gave her control over her life.

Return to “Recovery From CPS Trauma”