can we file a complaint against CPS in NC?

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

crzycrttrldy

can we file a complaint against CPS in NC?

Postby crzycrttrldy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:30 pm

My husband and I are under investigation for shaking our 4 month old son. We didnt do it and are pretty sure that my 15 year old stepdaughter did it. She ran away to her crackhead mother (no job, no place to live, no car etc.) the day after the baby started getting sick. We took him to the Dr multiple times and were told by him that it was a stomach bug. We also took him to the ER after he had what we now know was a seizure. We were told the same thing... stomach bug. This went on for 2weeks until his 2nd seizure. After his 2nd seizure we took him back to the ER and the did a CT and transfered us to another hospital. It took 2 days to get an MRI done there and the Dr there came in saying that it was abuse. You would have thought that you had hit us up side our heads. We were floored needless to say. That hospital transferred us to another hospital since there was not a pediatric neuroligist there. After brain surgery and 10 days in there CPS said that he could not go home with us and had to live with a relative or close family friend. Every plan that we came up with was shot down by the social worker's supervisor. We didnt know what we do now after finding this website. If we had known that we should not have cooperated like we did we DAMN sure wouldnt have. We just thought that it would make things easier to get him back where he belongs. CPS has treated my stepdaughter like a victim and not like a perpetrator which it says in the NCDHHS handbook that they do that. There is ALOT of circumstantial evidence that points to my stepdaughter, but she has been left out of the CPS investigation. Can & how & should we file a complaint? My son has gotten to where he doesnt eat like he should and wont sleep for more than an hour at the time. They have completely disrupted ALL of our lives, mainly his. Any advice is definitely needed and wanted......Please help
Thanks,
Christie

LindaJM

Re: can we file a complaint against CPS in NC?

Postby LindaJM » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Christie,

Did you go to court, or is your child out of your home because of an informal service plan?

If you went to court and signed a guilty plea or stipulation there won't be a trial unless they try for TPR (termination of parental rights) which generally doesn't happen for about 18 months.

Sorry you didn't get an answer sooner; I've been backlogged severely for a variety of reasons.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”