CPS out?

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

melgail

CPS out?

Postby melgail » Sat May 07, 2011 8:38 am

Here's the story.

My boyfriend is originally from IN but he's living here with me in KY. His son takes medicine daily (3 pills 2X a day) and recently the kids mother gave him eight pills in one dose and sent him off to school where he had a seizure and had to be taken to the hospital. There was no way we could make it up there so we called his (boyfriend) grandmother to make sure he was alright, of course the kids mom was at the hospital with him at the time.

Well, his grandma brought the little boy down to us so he wouldn't be put into anymore harm and we called CPS once he was safe and here with us. CPS shows up at her house, she wouldn't take a drug screen but finally admitted doing drugs to the worker.

They wanted to set him up with placement and he was forced to move back to IN, well the mother gave the worker his grandparents address and name. They got approved but he couldn't leave his son with his 80 year old grandparents by themselves so he moved back up there.

They went to court, setup another court date Jun 1st. the mother is signing custody over to him Wednesday, will that mean CPS is out of the picture once custody is changed over?

Another question, as of right now i'm on Section 8 down in KY. Can they do a home placement here? And if they can, what will they be asking and what will be needed once they do. We can provide him with school, daycare, medical, anything he needs.

Daruma

Re: CPS out?

Postby Daruma » Thu May 26, 2011 5:41 am

In general, once a case is closed and your child is returned, CPS is technically out of your life. However, they often look for excuses to get involved all over again.

In the future, you & your BF might want to think twice about ever calling CPS. They tend to complicate things, and the outcome is frequently worse than if they had never gotten involved. Maybe in your case it will work out, since it looks like your BF will end up with custody. But there's always a risk that things will backfire when one parent uses CPS against the other. They've been known to decide that both parents are inadequate, and to place a kid with strangers in foster care. Calling CPS really is playing with fire.

I'm a little bit confused about the question of home placement. If your BF gets custody, and the case is closed, I would assume he and his son could go anywhere they want to. If I'm mistaken, I hope some of the more knowledgeable members here will correct me.

I do hope things work out for you. Please let us know.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”