Caseworkers in Oregon

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

marmacey12

Caseworkers in Oregon

Postby marmacey12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 pm

My kids have been out of my custody for close to 2 months and have been living with my mother in-law, I found out today that my family living in seperate states then I do have recently recieved a letter from my case worker in Oregon asking them if they would be able to give any money or gifts to my kids who are in "foster" care. My mother in-law tried to opt out of the money that the state offering and they told her that she had to take the money. Now they are asking family who I did not even want to know about this for money, what is that letter about? Can they really ask people for money with out asking you first, I never gave them names of any family members and my mother in-law didn't either. Has any one ever had this letter sent out in there cases? Does any one know what this letter is about?

LindaJM

Re: Caseworkers in Oregon

Postby LindaJM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:07 pm

I have never heard of anything like that before! I wonder why the caseworker would be trying to solicit gifts and money from your relatives!

Usually it works the other way - the relatives want to give gifts and the caseworker or foster parent rejects them.

I would contact your county elected official (from board of supervisors or whoever runs the county). Ask this person to find out whether this is a county policy (to solicit money from relatives) or if the caseworker is acting on her own. But before doing that, you might want to get a copy of the letters that were sent... so you can show that to the county elected official.

NOTE: I'm talking about going to the county's leaders... NOT the CPS supervisor the caseworker works with.

Example: Multnomah County ...
http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/dbcs/elec ... etro.shtml
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

marmacey12

Postby marmacey12 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the Advice and for replying to my post. I have learned so much since joining this site.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:19 am

Wait a minute... court records are closed "to protect the child's privacy." CPS files are closed "to protect the child's privacy." But privacy's not an issue when there's money to be had, I guess. I agree that you should get copies of the letters so you can file a complaint with your county.

With a tight economy and budget cuts looming, this may become the new trend in child support. Just like the other post that talked about CPS workers doing drug tests in the field to save money. This sort of cost-saving and cost-shifting is a trend we need to watch for and speak up about. It sets a very bad precedent.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”