My ex is slaughtering my name

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:32 pm

My ex is slaughtering my name

Postby mommaof2boys » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:45 pm

My ex has called CPS on me numerous times in bad faith lying to them about the care of my children. I lost my job because of this, nobody has ever come to me and asked me questions except a police officer came to my house and looked inside because my ex said my house was filthy it was unfounded. I need to know what i can do do get my name out of the system.

User avatar
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 am
Location: TX

Re: My ex is slaughtering my name

Postby family_man » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:54 pm

OK so how was it that you lost your job because of all these false reports? You know it's a crime to knowingly file a false report of harm to CPS. You might try reporting this to the police, to see whether they will investigate it. Furthermore, if you can prove that you suffered material damage because of these false reports, you can sue him for damages in civil court.

CPS doesn't seem to have taken any of these reports seriously, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. There is no way in most states to get this garbage off your CPS record. Texas has such a system in place, but it's the only state I know of.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

User avatar
Posts: 3171
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: My ex is slaughtering my name

Postby LindaJM » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:14 am

Try doing a Google search for your state's name, plus "mandated reporter law" ... such as "georgia mandated reporter law".

Check out this resource for info about mandated reporter laws.

That should help you find the law, which will probably also list the penalty for false reporting. In some states the only remedy is to sue the person making false reports. You would have to have PROOF that the person was maliciously making reports. The problem is that the person would probably give a defense of having made the report "in good faith" believing it to be true. Your word against theirs. So the cases are rarely brought to court as they can't be proven enough to convince a jury or judge.

In some states you can report a false report to the police as they've made it a criminal rather than a civil offense. Maybe having a police officer show up at their door would be enough to silence them.

If you're sure it is your ex, you could try getting an attorney to send him a letter stating that continued false reports will result in a lawsuit. People do not like getting letters from attorneys, so that might help stop the problem.

Here's information on laws regarding central registries in each state.

Also- you might want to read the page in my signature line here about divorce, separation and CPS... and ask your ex to read it too.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest