Move state - Help Please

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Maryland

Move state - Help Please

Postby Karsa » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:20 am

Hello , I wonder if anyone can answer these questions please as I cannot seem to find answers anywhere. My child was abused by someone outside the family , the criminal case is coming up against them in a few months. CPS was very hard on us and did a few things that I think are not legal. But they investigated me as well and those cases are closed. But my son - 16 , receives therapy child welfare every week and we have a social worker that visits our home once a week to apparently make sure all is ok and help with coping skills etc etc. Thing is I am a single parent and was unempolyed for over a year. I have recently been offered a job , so elated , the job though is in another state , about 2 hours away from where we live now , I want to know if we can move , there is nothing in writing from CPS or Child Welfare that we cannot move. Can the social workers visits etc just be transferred to that State ? This is the best thing for myself and children , we will have a nice home again , I will be working , income coming in and its a fresh start , stability and we can leave the memories behind of all the negative that happened where we live . Can someone please help me or tell me if this is ok ?? Thank you so much !!

User avatar
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 am
Location: TX

Re: Move state - Help Please

Postby family_man » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 am

As long as you have full custody over your son, you are free to move to another state and take him with you. Even if CPS had temporary custody over your son (which they don't), they still wouldn't be able to impede your career by requiring you to remain in state. (But then they would have to go through the complicated ICPC process.)

CPS considers the therapy and home visits to be a service to you. You may decline them at any time, since they're not court-ordered. If you want these services to continue in your new state, you can ask CPS to refer your case to your new state. The new state will then review your case and decide for itself whether to continue similar services.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest