Preemptively Relinquishing Custody?

For those who need to know the laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

righteousbabe

Preemptively Relinquishing Custody?

Postby righteousbabe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 am

This is pretty much a theoretical question at this point.

I know about guardianship but I have a deep fear of it "not working" in the case of a CPS removal.

What about giving up custody completely to another person to avoid a CPS intervention or removal or to stop a current investigation or interference?

I know it sounds nutty.

However, CPS has continually used the three remaining kids in the house as a method of frightening us into not stirring up the pot. The implication that they would be removed has been used again and again to gain compliance into issues with the 4th child.

Two of the kids are mine, and my mother has stated that she would take full custody if it was necessary.

She wanted me to find out, if she DID do this but they stiill spent most of the time with me, could CPS still remove them.

I told her yes, that they probably can, if they are claiming she let them be with me and they were some how "at risk" in my house.

So I'm assuming if she had custody then it would need to at least appear that they were living with her, which would involve changing schools and all that if it went on very long.... but the thinking was if she had CUSTODY then they couldn't mess with the kids unless they wanted to change gears and investigate her.

If I thought their father could handle them full time I'd consider that route also.

My GF's son could probably go live out of state (several states away) at least under guardianship with his Aunt. Since one of the things they are using against us is his presence in the house due to the 2004 incident with the two boys, well, they couldn't use that any more.

Without fear of the other kids removal I think we'd be in a MUCH better position to rip CPS to shreds... or maybe I'm just too tired and this is the worst idea ever.

What do others think of this tactic?

Extreme?

Effective in any way?

Return to “Legal Research”