Any information would be appreciated

For those who need to know the laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

justamom32

Any information would be appreciated

Postby justamom32 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 am

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum. But if anyone has any information or advice I would gladly appreciate it.

I am researching the FERPA laws (Family educational rights and privacy act.)......Under the FERPA act a school cannot release the educational records of a child without the written consent of the parent. As I understand this act...the only other way that a school can release the educational records of a child is when there is a court order to do so, and even then the parents must be notified.

During our first team meeting with CPS my child's teacher was invited. She was unable to attend, so the school Social Worker attended in her place. During the meeting the social worker brought up no concerns about my child at all. Also it was during this meeting that I specifically requested that there was to be no contact by CPS with my child's school without me being present. I refused to sign anything that CPS presented to me. (on the advice of my attorney) At the time of that meeting, our next court date was to be held on the following Monday.

The following day I picked my child up from school and she had a large envelope, addressed to me. On the envelope was a post-it note from the school social worker, which read: "I thought I would do you the courtesy of giving you a copy of the information I plan to present to the courts on Monday."

Now, she was not subpoenaed or anything to attend the court date. She just decided to show up and defined herself as "representing the school." In the large envelope was a long letter that was addressed to CPS, the GAL, and "whom it may concern in juvenile court. In the letter she quoted from various meetings, parent teacher conferences, report cards, and other school documents. She also attached a copy of each document all the way back to my child's kindergarten year. These included report cards, teacher notes, e-mails between teachers, IAT minutes, and her attendance record.

She gave everyone involved in this case a copy of this "packet."...In the opening paragraph of her letter she stated that she "did not feel that the team meeting was "the appropriate time to bring up any of these concerns."...... at our next court date.. she came again...this time the case was being dismissed. My attorney asked her if she had received a subpoena...to which she replied; "No, but no one told me not to come either." ....Again she had a packet of my child's records to pass out...which included her most recent report card, and notes from her most recent IEP meeting.

Never once did I sign anything stating that she could share my child's educational records with anyone. I am wondering if there is anything that I can do about this. My child might be attending school there again next year, and I want to prevent this from ever happening again.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Return to “Legal Research”