ICWA and burden of proof.

For those who need to know the laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Leomarth

ICWA and burden of proof.

Postby Leomarth » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:39 pm

If I understand what I've been reading, if your children qualify under ICWA, the burden of proof for the state to take them away goes up from preponderance to clear and convincing, right?

If that's true, I seriously hope they qualify. My mom was 1/2, so that makes me 1/4, and them 1/8th.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:09 pm

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/cf ... sJan08.pdf

Yes, the burden of proof is 'clear and convincing' for ICWA cases. Are you registered with your tribe?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Leomarth

Postby Leomarth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 am

LindaJM wrote:http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/cfcc/pdffiles/ICWARequirementsJan08.pdf

Yes, the burden of proof is 'clear and convincing' for ICWA cases. Are you registered with your tribe?

My mom says she is registered with her tribe. I am not. We already had one ICWA hearing, and we were told the tribe had not responded. The way the AAG made it sound, he hadn't actually asked yet. So the judge postponed the ICWA decision until July.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Are you asking for tribal registration?

Honestly, I don't think tribes are any better at handling child welfare cases than anyone else, but you're right that there's a different standard of proof applied. How discriminatory is that for the rest of us? :roll:

I live in a tribally-dominated small town and have heard complaints about the tribal child welfare system. There's also a website about ICWA cases... lots of complaints. Tribes (some, maybe not all) apparently view child welfare cases as yet another good way to get government funding.

Indian Child Welfare Act - ICWA - Is A Disaster For Many Families
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Leomarth

Postby Leomarth » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 am

LindaJM wrote:Are you asking for tribal registration?

Honestly, I don't think tribes are any better at handling child welfare cases than anyone else, but you're right that there's a different standard of proof applied. How discriminatory is that for the rest of us? :roll:

I live in a tribally-dominated small town and have heard complaints about the tribal child welfare system. There's also a website about ICWA cases... lots of complaints. Tribes (some, maybe not all) apparently view child welfare cases as yet another good way to get government funding.

Indian Child Welfare Act - ICWA - Is A Disaster For Many Families

Not yet. I wonder if they would apply it retroactively if I did?

We're several states away from my tribe, so I doubt they'd get actively involved. And my lawyer tells me the higher standard of proof only applies if the tribe actually gets involved.

They're in South Dakota, we're in Arizona.

Return to “Legal Research”