NEED ADVICE ABOUT SUEING CPS IN PENNSYLVANIA

Discuss all aspects of suing CPS and its affiliates for the injustice done to your family.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

stillprayingforhelp

NEED ADVICE ABOUT SUEING CPS IN PENNSYLVANIA

Postby stillprayingforhelp » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:01 pm

Next month my daughter will have been in foster care for two years. CPS cited different reasons for taking my children ~ and I do mean those reasons kept changing. Though the reasons were all false. I got my son back one month later, but only after they put him in an institution because he would not cooperate with them. The case worker actually told us on the phone that he would not get out of there until he did what she wanted him to do. I was told by several lawyers I could sue CPS in federal court for violating my sons civil rights, but I'm having trouble finding a lawyer to take the case that is close by. They are all three or more hours away from where I live. That isn't even my main concern right now!

My daughter who has been in CPS care for almost two years missed over 60 consecutive days of school for the 2007-2008 school year while in their care. I don't know about the 2008-2009 school year because they don't tell me anything and they wouldn't let me see or give me a copy of her report cards. ~ They don't even let me have any kind of contact with her. She's not allowed to have any contact with my husband or son either. Just recently I learned that my daughter treatened to commit suicide while in their care. She has been moved to several new foster homes that were possibly going to adopt her but they didn't work for whatever reasons. But we had no knowledge of this because we are still trying to get her back. I love how they try and adopt our kids out without us even knowing about it!! We haven't even gone back to court yet! Are they that confident that we'll lose our parental rights when we do go back to court?

I need some guidance with this. I don't know what to do. This county, the judge and the court appointed attorneys have already proven to be in it together with CPS. My husbands lawyer said that she would not object to anything CPS said or put on record and that she would not raise questions about CPS's questionable actions because "she has to work in this county, and has to work along side these people on a daily basis, so she doesn't want to make any of them mad". My lawyer just did things behind my back and never talked to me or returned my calls.

Is there anything I can do here? Can I sue them for anything regarding my daughter? It's not about the money, I just want my daughter back. I want them to pay also, I want to put some stress into theirs lives for once! Don't us parents have any rights or recorse for when an agency like this snatches our kids?

LanceBabe

Postby LanceBabe » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:39 am

Sounds like you and your DH need new lawyer(s), even if they ARE a couple of hours away. It is obvious that you're not going to get help from anyone in your own county.

stillprayingforhelp

Postby stillprayingforhelp » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:35 am

It is crazy with what is happening in our case. There is so much corruption in this county ~ even the judge is in on it. I find myself asking god to let me wake from this nightmare everyday.

I remember reading some news articles about how corrupt CYS and the county was up in or near Pittsburgh. Well it's turning out to be the same thing here in Adams County.

What can we do about this? Is there a way to find other families in the same area who have gone through the same hassles with CYS? Maybe we can start a class action lawsuit and get some policies changed! :idea:

Fightingnpa

Re: sueing Pa CPS

Postby Fightingnpa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 am

I personally have had it with the stories, they sound all alike. I know it is true because its my story also. There has to be something we can do?? We all have to get our stories out there in America's face or our children and families will remain victims. I dont know much about the law, but has anyone thought about a class action suit??

Marina

Postby Marina » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Class actions suits usually end up with the Agency having more money and more adoptions.

sharon326

Re: NEED ADVICE ABOUT SUEING CPS IN PENNSYLVANIA

Postby sharon326 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:59 pm

i'm trying to find a lawyer also to sue d.h.s. in philadelphia. but it's hard finding someone with the guts and agressiveness to do so! a lot of the lawyers do business with the city and are afraid of losing their income with the city. the only thing i can tell you to do is to read and gather information that can help you in court. speak up for yourself and don't let them rush you out of the courtroom. find info. on the statutes like 6302(a). the ones they used to help remove your children from you home. Best Interest, all of them! consists of more than the two meanings that are written on the Order of protection>

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:25 am

To find a lawyer think about going outside your own county so you won't have the 'good old boys' hometown attitude between judges/lawyers/cps.

You can go to the courthouse you'd like to file in (federal court?) and use their database to look up cases, then find out who the attorneys that filed against CPS were. Go to see them for consultations, and if they won't help you, ask for referrals.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

clara2002

Postby clara2002 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Pa. i know pa pretty well, i grew up there. it is a commonwealth state where there are a lack of rescourses, the goverment employees have too much control and power, in the state its hard to find what your rights are a parent, and the lawers are threaten. thats why the family lawers are too scared to be aggressive, they are risking going to jail ,and thier kids. there is too much discrimination in pa. our race has it the hardest. but it doesnt all havt to be that way. you got to stand up for yourself, do more research, write down notes. oh and so you know it sounds to me like you have a solid case.

Return to “Sue Them!”