need advice about dealing with school

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

krdpdx

need advice about dealing with school

Postby krdpdx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 am

k my kids school called cps they questioned her without a parent or attorney there i got that all taken care of for now
but i have another issue i need advice on they are refusing to give my child an iep meeting they say there school dose not have an in school counsler only one that comes in once a month and she can only deal with one kid at a time and there six ahead of her im am pertty ticked about this alos they are emotional damiging my daughter they have a plan set up for all kids that act out they use intimidation or embarasment to get the kids to listen like a 2nd grader getting stuck into a 5ht grade class and visa versa i need help what can i do?

Frustrated

Re: need advice about dealing with school

Postby Frustrated » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 am

well you can always write a letter to the School to give them specific instructions not to interview your child without you, and that you have a Lawyer. Usually they will follow the letter but sometimes not. that's why you need to give specific instructions to include in the letter, and in the letter you can address the importance of your child's education, and stress that your child needs help with the IEP. Force them to give something for your child. You have the parental rights and your child has the educational rights, it is the school neglecting your child's education. not you. Write a letter saying you want it done. Period. and have a school meeting to discuss your child's education and what you can do to help your child to be on the right directions. If the School is not listening to you, you can get a Lawyer to force them to do something about it.
I would go to the Human Rights Commission and file a complaint because they are discriminating your child's educational rights, and possibly disability violations. Does your child have ADHD OR ADD? Get a psch. assessment on your own, do not get CPS services, and do not sign nothing, not even a medical release form.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 pm

To answer the first part ...thats what CPS does. Public schools are public domain, so therefore they can go to the school and question your child. Your children however can tell them where to go and how fast they can get there as I can proudly say my daughter did last fall =)

Although this portion is not a CPS matter I will still help somewhat.....Does your child already have an IEP? Has it already been determined that your child is in need of services? If so, the school has X amount of days to get that IEP together. Contact the school district and speak with the director of special Ed.

I know when we lived in Chicago they had 90 school days to get my sons IEP meeting done and written once it was approved. The school year was over by the time the 90 school days hit, and then we had to start over the 90 days the next year. They did it that way on purpose because they didnt have the money!Now, my oldest son already had an IEP in place from his old school. The new school has 30 days to hold an IEP meeting and make the proper changes to adjust to a new school different services available ect.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 pm

About the IEP - you can contact the nearest Federal Dept. of Education and file a civil rights complaint about your school not providing special education. This will result in extra paperwork for the teacher and principal. They should be better equipped at the school to provide IEPs when they are needed. If they have six children ahead of her, maybe they need to hire more staff to prepare IEPs.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

kiroma

Postby kiroma » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:32 am

http://www.wrightslaw.com/ will help you understand specal education laws. Pay close attention to IDEA 2004. If you request in writing for testing to be done they must have it done within 90 days. It doesnt matter how many kids they have in front of yours, or how many ppl they have on the job..it must be done or they are in violation of the law. Google your state dept of Ed as well the IDEA manual for your state is probably on that site. Study it, learn it, throw it at them and get your kid evaluated. DO NOT let them threaten you with Cps for asserting the law and your rights.

Return to “CPS Investigations”