**UPDATE** Or lack thereof!

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

tonijo22

**UPDATE** Or lack thereof!

Postby tonijo22 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 am

I was contacted by CPS back in October. I refused to let them in. I went to the interview, without the kids. I refused to give any info about my kid's doctor etc. Now here we are in the middle of January and I have never heard back from them. No phone call, no letter nothing. They asked for my children's fathers phone number and they never even contacted him. So, can anyone tell me what this means? Do they just go away? Is their investigation over? Don't they have to do something...like close their case and let me know. It's been over 3 months, but I am scared to contact them, because if they aren't thinking about us...I don't want them to! LOL

good dad
Site Admin

Re: **UPDATE** Or lack thereof!

Postby good dad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 am

Depending on State law, CPS agencies usually have up to 30, 60, or 90 days after receiving the report to complete the initial assessment or investigation. The longer it takes, the harder it is for them to show there was serious "Risk" to the child.... Let sleeping dogs lie...
My advice is my opinion and not legal advice
A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

tonijo22

Postby tonijo22 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

Thank you for responding. That's what I kinda thought also. I'm just worried that they will try to come back later. The CPS worker was very angry with me when I met with her. She was trying to intimidate me by saying things like..."I am turning this over to my supervisor because you are being uncooperative" Then she said it would go in front of some council or something for them to determine how to proceed. This is all so ridiculous. The police officer that contacted CPS told them that my children weren't in any danger. The worker admitted that to me. Yet they were still contacted because of an argument I had with their father and the police were called. No charges were filed. Has anyone ever heard of them just going away?

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 am

Chances are they have found a case easier or "higher up on the list" to work.. Most are overloaded with work and simply move on... It seems weird, if the cop said your kids weren't in any danger, why did he contact CPS?

My advice is my opinion and not legal advice

A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:52 am

Yes, she was trying to intimidate you. To me it sounds obvious that she was fishing for information (because she didn't have anything she could use against you), and she was just ticked because you wouldn't bite. My best guess (which is only a guess) is that her supervisor saw that there was nothing they could use against you, so they went on to easier targets.

But.

That doesn't mean you can relax and breathe easy. If I were you, I'd start looking into the possibility of moving within the next year or two. Your name is in the system now. Assuming summer comes and goes without CPS inviting themselves back into your life, you'd be wise to find a job in another county or another state. Move before your kids start school, and never tell anyone in your new town that you were ever investigated. And make sure your ex knows not to tell CPS anything, ever, without a court order.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

tonijo22

Postby tonijo22 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Thank you again, Good dad and Daruma for responding. As for the detective that called CPS. When my ex and I were arguing, he jumped in my car and left with the kids. When the police showed up, I told them, and the detective told me they would not look for my kids because they were with their father and that is not illegal. He also said, they weren't considered to be in danger. But, the police told CPS it was domestic violence. Even though, the prosecutor said a crime had not been committed. And, they weren't trying to pursue charges. And, I also said he didn't hit me. The CPS worker told me when they contacted me 3 months later that neither the prosecutor nor the police decided if children were in danger only they could determine that. I of course replied with a crude.."Excuse me? Did you just hear yourself" A long story short. I wouldn't let them in my house, I went to the interview without the children. I offered no information and the CPS worker angrily ended the interview saying I was uncooperative and I've never heard anything again.

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm

I think this letter is GREAT! Please read this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11760

Really sounds like something you could use should these p'os show up again...
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

family_man

Postby family_man » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I moved the letter to the legal documents forum, after removing the personal information of the sender.

http://forum.fightcps.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=11827
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:04 pm

you da bomb family_man!
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

tonijo22

Postby tonijo22 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Thank you!! That letter is great. I wish I would have had it originally. I would like to add, if someone already hasn't...Send it Certified Mail!!! The reason I say that is, When the CPS worker contacted me, 3 months after they were notified, She said, she sent me 2 certified letters. Well, she did. But, the pink notice from the mailman that tells you who it is from, only said "Health" I had just switched insurance providers and thought they were sending me the papers that I already had. So, I ignored it. None the less, I think it's a good idea, to follow their lead. If they send you something certified. You send them certified also. That way they can't deny ever receiving it.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Great letter! I linked to it from the legal document library on the front of the site.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “CPS Investigations”