what cps said today both verbally and written...

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

brookeycookie

Re: what cps said today both verbally and written...

Postby brookeycookie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Pray the judge will accept it.

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 am

Family Man, I know I should put this in a different thread but what you said about 50-50 custody, would that
apply if the grandparents were given custody of the child before the case was closed? My mother in law has custody of
our youngest and we would like to share that custody with her. We are in Tennessee. We just hired a lawyer and
are in the process of getting more visits with her. Mother in law has already stated that we are good parents.
I dont know much about the laws here, and if the custody thing only works with moms and dads.
Thanks

family_man

Postby family_man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

The laws pertaining to child support are easy to look up for each state. They're under the Rules of Civil Procedure, in most cases. Parents who still have parental rights are obligated to provide financial support to whomever has custody, in proportion to the amount of custody they have.

In the case of 50-50 joint custody between parents, each parent owes 50% child support to the other parent, so it cancels out. They owe each other nothing. So right now, you owe 100% child support to your mother-in-law, right? I suspect that if you were awarded 50-50 joint custody with her, you would still owe 50% child support to her. She would owe nothing to you, since she's not the parent.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks we plan on speaking to our att. about that.

Return to “CPS Investigations”