statute of limitations for dss investigation?

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

good dad
Site Admin

Re: statute of limitations for dss investigation?

Postby good dad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 pm

They aren't the nicest people... What state are you in? You can probably report the worker for ethics violations..

Did your wife get the interviewer's name and title? You can private message me the state and name instead of posting if you wish
My advice is my opinion and not legal advice
A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

mattwlen

Postby mattwlen » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm in South Carolina. I can get her name. I'm just sick of these people.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Too late for my advice, but we always had someone with the kids when they were interviewed. First time it was the police officer, second/last time it was a friend of mine who knows the kids and is a former school teacher. For us, we just never allowed the kids to be alone with strangers... EVER! So, we insisted. It was a good thing because they started putting words in my son's mouth (the one with ADD) when he said "I don't remember" ... then they started doing multiple choice and my friend said, "he already said he doesn't remember... leave it at that!"

So....... I would call that harassing or badgering her. Complain to the supervisors, directors, etc. Call the police and tell them you want a forensic interview done because you know that they would never tell an 8 year old she was lying to try and manipulate the situation.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

mattwlen

Postby mattwlen » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm

We just didn't know we could do that. We should have gotten a lawyer early on. But it's too late now. I just hope they don't try to go for my wife thinking she is just protecting me. But can they really do anything without evidence? I just don't trust anyone on the government side right now. I'm really done doing everything I can to cooperate and play there freaking games. The lawyer said today that The case looked very good and we really didn't need to hire him yet. But that doesn't help me get home.

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm

All CPS workers, being a licensed social worker or not, are bound by the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/userma ... s/cpsq.cfm

I think, worded right, a complaint could be filed using:
Conflicts of interest. CPS caseworkers should be alert to and avoid any conflict of interest that may interfere with the exercise of professional discretion and impartial judgment. Caseworkers should not take any unfair advantage of a professional relationship or exploit others for personal gain.

Calling a child a liar during an investigation is a "conflict of interest to having an impartial judgement"

Derogatory language. Caseworkers should never use derogatory language in their verbal or written communication about clients. Caseworkers should use behavioral, respectful, and sensitive language in their communications to and about clients.

I don't think calling names or attempting to lead them astray is being respectful or sensitive to a 8 year old..

But can they really do anything without evidence?

Have you tried talking to the officer who sat in on the initial interview? Some officers dislike CPS and will give you a copy of their report which may contradict CPS's..
Was this last interview video taped?

My advice is my opinion and not legal advice

A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

mattwlen

Postby mattwlen » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Just a update. I found out yesterday it was unfounded. No I'm sorry for taking 2months of your life.. thanks for all your support and advise.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm

So glad that you can all get back to normal now! Well, you'll have to adjust "normal" because you'll always be watching, waiting for them to show up again.

Our 13 yr old son in is martial arts and a couple weeks ago got smacked during practice, near the eye, creating a quarter-sized abrasion and a mild black eye. I wasn't too worried about sending him to school, teachers asking 'what happened' and him responding with the truth. Then around 10 a.m. I thought, "what if they call CPS as a policy, any time they see something suspicious?" So, I actually went to school to catch him between classes and said, "If anybody asks about your eye, you tell them the truth. If they ask ANYTHING else, you tell them you want your mother or your lawyer here."

I also tell my friends not to trust those people... call me if they ever show up!
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 pm

congrats Matt, thank god, now go enjoy your life! Also, remember to inform others when you can. Thanks.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

Return to “CPS Investigations”