friend whos children are at risk

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

treytrey1

friend whos children are at risk

Postby treytrey1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

I have a friend that I met at work who is going through a cps investigation. Her kids are still at home but she fears
not for long. She has gone through 3 case workers. The first wanted to close the case. Her ex brother in law called on her
for drugs and not having suitable housing only because she wont let him see her kids. The dad is in jail for at least 10 yrs.
She has passed every drug test ordered. The only problem now is finding housing for her and the kids. She is presently living
with a friend. This third caseworkers supervisor is a woman that we had for a caseworker. I guess she got promoted. I never
liked this woman and my friend is seeing the same things I did. Her oldest is 5 and Im afraid if they take them she wont get them
back. She has no family or friends who can take them in, except the ex brother in law who reported her. She cant afford an att.
I did tell her to make her att. work for her. I also told her about this site. We are in Tennessee. Can anyone give any more advice
as to what she might do. She has a meeting tomorrow and has to bring the kids. Thanks

Eljay

Re: friend whos children are at risk

Postby Eljay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Here's something she should read as a "worst case" or "what CPS will likely do to you" story:

http://almosttuesday.wordpress.com/2009 ... e-forever/

She needs to be strong and confident and state that she is providing for the children's NEEDS, that while their situation is not "ideal" it is adequate and meets their needs on a TEMPORARY basis. I'm assuming she's not rooming with a convicted sex offender. She needs to ask THEM the questions. Does state law require that she own/rent her own home? Does state law dictate that the children must have their own rooms? Does the state law dictate that the children must have designer clothes? Well, don't get snippy like that, but she needs to pin them down by making them answer HER questions. She should answer VERY little. CPS is there to serve HER family so she needs to ask them the questions. CPS will go overboard with their assumptions... "how much money do you have in the bank? Only $50???? Well what if you child broke a leg, how would you pay to take him to the doctor??? If you can't take care of him we will need to take custody to ensure he's taken care of."

"Oh, so you're saying CPS has authority over hypothetical neglect???"

So... she needs to hold them to the law, let them know that she's got it handled and CPS intervention is not necessary. And tell her to write down EVERYTHING that is said, every person's name & title, even if it takes TWO HOURS to get through 10 minutes of the meeting... she needs to ensure she's got it all documented.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Tell her to get online fast before she stipulates or signs her rights away.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 am

Thankyou I told her everything you told me Eljay and no the friend is not a drug user. She was planning on checking out
our states laws on what is required for suitable housing for her and the kids. I do know they want her to be working at least 30
hrs or more, and are checking her paystubs. Her gaurdiem at litum has been really decent with her unlike the one we has.
He may be a big help to her.

mom2many

Postby mom2many » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 am

If she has a guardian ad litum, did she make them aware of this?

Ideally, she can get them to a doctor of her choice immediately for documentation that they are healthy.

I played the cooperation game through about 6 different investigations, all with different caseworkers and got to the point where it was "sure, come on in! Want some coffee?" Because everything was fine.

Then we got an evil, witch of a social worker and she did the same thing.

Now I regret with all my heart that I ever let her in. Had I known, I would have insisted on a warrant or nope, you don't come near my home. I wouldn't have given her ANY of the documentation of anything, but like a fool, I gave her all the documentation and THEN some to show the kids are healthy, happy, thriving, and cared for. She then turned around and used that to say that SINCE they last saw the doctor, they have declined significantly in health. Magically, in two weeks, in the midst of an investigation that was still open, she claims we suddenly began starving them and now they are "failure to thrive."

The mom has to do what she feels is best in her case. I personally would pack everything and leave the state if there is nothing holding her here. At the least, I'd not voluntarily have anything to do with a CPS worker. Her guardian should be notified and highly involved though. The guardian, depending on his/her duties in that capacity, can also be held accountable if the parts of her life they have guardianship over are said to not be in order. And CPS will claim that and much much more if you get a bum worker, which is highly likely. Being low income and having someone call on you is, for a social worker, like handing a strip of bacon to a starving dog. They'll devour it before you have time to blink.

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 am

I was suprised she has a guardian at litum already. We didnt have one until the kids were removed.
She had a meeting on Tues and so far the kids are with her. They are asking for her paystubs every time
she meets with them. I think packing and leaving would have the police put out on her since even though
the kids are still with her, there is still an open case. She is looking for suitable housing right now.

Return to “CPS Investigations”