Opinions Please--Is this NEGLECT?

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

dixla

Opinions Please--Is this NEGLECT?

Postby dixla » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 am

My daughter picks up her nieces and nephew for a weekend visit.

She takes the two five year olds and three year old to a nice hotel. Due to horrible weather, she is forced to take the children back early, or risk killing them on the icy roads.

According to the radar data for that day, temperatures range from 22-36 degrees F. The children were presented to her without enough hats and gloves for all three children. There is freezing rain coming down, evidenced by the radar data for this time period and date. She leaves the three children in the hotel for no more than 5 minutes while she runs to the car to unfreeze the doors and put their bags in the trunk.

The children watched TV for the 5 minutes with no incident of any type. She takes the children back to foster parent who claims the youngest has peed his pants. This did not happen. Evidenced by the brand new, still pee-free car seat in her car.

Is this neglect? Or should she have taken them out into the freezing rain without proper attire?

whosechildrenarethey

Re: Opinions Please--Is this NEGLECT?

Postby whosechildrenarethey » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Look up your State's statutory definition of Neglect comparing it to the scenario you just described because that is the measuring stick and language CPS would/will use in any petition initiated for court intervention.

thepenguinpitt

Postby thepenguinpitt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:01 am

I dont know what your situation is but there are a few things that dont seem quite right here. Like why is your daughter picking up nieces and nephews instead of the parents picking them up or more so why would you take children to a hotel no matter how nice it is. Why wouldnt she just take them to a house? Im not judging, just trying to understand the scenario. But from just what you described I would think not since she didnt do anything that would cause substantial risk of harm to the childrens health or well being. { that being taken directly from our states definition of neglect } Sounds more like the foster parents are just trying to cause problems by making it look like the family isnt capable of taking care of the children for a visit.

thepenguinpitt

Postby thepenguinpitt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 am

One more thing is that maybe your daughter should not tell the foster parents every little detail of what happens on the visit, the less you can tell them the better. If she didnt tell them about leaving the children in the room they never would have known.

Jessie's Aunt

Postby Jessie's Aunt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am

Yes, your daughter made a serious error in judgment when she left three small children alone in a motel room, for any length of time. So many bad things could have happened. The kids could have been injured while rough-housing, scalded by hot water from the tap or the bathroom coffee pot, or just frightened by being alone in a strange place. And worse, they might have opened the door to a dangerous person or just gotten bored and wandered out into the hall where someone could have made them disappear forever.

She should have made a call to the front desk or housekeeping staff and asked for help. A $5 tip would have insured that the kids were supervised by a maid for the time necessary to get the car ready. Or a tip to the maintenance helper would have allowed your daughter to stay with the kids while he readied the car for them.

I think she should admit her mistake and offer to take a parenting class if she wants to be given physical custody of your grandchildren again.
Jessie's Aunt
Adopted my sister's grandchild, 2004.

dixla

Postby dixla » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 pm

She never told the foster parents. The 5 year olds did when they were grilled about the visit. The foster parents want to adopt and are doing everything they can to make that a reality. The kids couldn't reach the door and their room was next to the lobby. The coffee maker was never on. They couldn't reach the faucets, they watched TV for 5 minutes with no incident.

I'm not condoning, I'm just saying it is not neglect, in my opinion. She wasn't in a house because she lives 10 hours away from them. They judge ordered the state to do the ICPC. She has a garage at home so this would never happen, and NC rarely has the inclement weather KY does.

Return to “CPS Investigations”