School demanding mental health records...Good dad? Bob_Lynn?

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

DesertSkye

School demanding mental health records...Good dad? Bob_Lynn?

Postby DesertSkye » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:28 am

Asking this for someone

The childs school is demanding the parent release to them the childs COMPLETE mental health records

Can they do this?

I am not sure where to look to help this person, but, am afraid it may turn into a CPS case and want to help get it stopped before that happens...

Thanks for any help leads you can give!
A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with like weight of pain,
As much or more we should ourselves complain.
William Shakespeare

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:45 am

I really don't know if they have to turn over records...It is different from a CPS case as the school has a right (I believe) to have information on how best to educate the child..
My advice is my opinion and not legal advice
A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

Bob_Lynn

Postby Bob_Lynn » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:05 am

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you. You do have the right to deny them access to your child's medical and mental health record as far as I know, however, I don't know what the ramifications of doing that may be. I strongly suggest you check with a competent attorney (I hope there is such a thing in your area).

DesertSkye

Thanks!

Postby DesertSkye » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:37 am

Thanks guys!!

From what I understand they have the basic diangosis and needs and the meds and what to do etc

It sounds as ig they want everything
Psych evals
doctors notes
case notes and plans etc (that seems wrong to me)

I am glad I asked here because I don't know what to tell them

Its on a support group for kids with ADHD Oppositional defiant disorder etc

I think all these kids are targets as it is.....

They even tried to blame Katelynns mood swings on me in court just shows how dumb that assist att general was!!!!!!!!!....

I wonder if legal aid could help him

I told him about the hatch thing to at least keep the school hopefully from releasing any info if any angencies try to get records from the school
but didn't know what to say about the school demanding them

William Shakespeare

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:56 pm

Well, in the past, the School did not request records, I just gave him the Doctor Report. That's it. No medication or anything else, just limited information. My son has Oppositional Defiant Disorder, but the School seems to be wanting to kick him out of the School just because he has the Disorder. I have not heard from the School requesting further records, not at all....but School recommends that my Son go into Counselling and I did so. The Counselling, of course is done by CPS, done in the School setting, where CPS are in School 5 days a week, but mostly every Tuesday. Funny that CPS has an office right there in the School. and it WAS the CPS that want to request everything, not the School. Strange eh? But the strange thing is that CPS is not following what Doctor recommends in the Report! It is like CPS defying the orders and wants to do their Own. Sounds like a Ego Boost to me. I know CPS likes to operate Power Authority, or something like that, because I heard my CW, saying "don't worry, I can over ride anything I want, I have that POWER, I can put my foot down and be heard." When I hear her say those words, it made me shiver.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Got to love double posts!
Last edited by Momoffor on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:52 pm

What is the purpose they want these records for? Is it for evaluating and completing an IEP? Or updating an IEP that is already in place? Has there been issues going on that the school is concerned for teachers, other childrens, or this childs safety?

I dont really see the point in the entire record unless perhaps it is part of the diagnosis recommendations to check on progress. The complete and official diagnosis letter is all they need.

I know for my son I just gave them the neuro docs complete diagnosis for the asbergers, and from when he first entered speech at the age of 2, I had to give them everything I had done and all tests that were done so that they would have a place to start and know what route to take for his education as far as strengths and weaknesses.

When that ERR <cough> of a document came home with my youngest a few weeks back I researched it, and in there it states that they can proceed with complete evaluations on my child weather I agree or not if it is deemed in the childs best interest as long as they have documented evidence stating that it is in the childs best interest.

They also might be wanting to have the records to know what they are facing as far as temperment and violence. I was floored when my oldests teachers asked me if they should fear what he is capable of because 'you know how autistics can be'. /boogle.

DesertSkye

What they are for

Postby DesertSkye » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:34 am

I am not 100% sure I'll have to ask
I just fear this is headed towards CPS involvment and want to help befor eit does
I'll post back as soon as know

William Shakespeare

sedwards

Postby sedwards » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:45 am

there would be no reason for a school to need full medical records that is strange. yes i would ask more info are they needing child illnesses in the past . Is this for iep what is the purpose of this . Sound to me again as if someone is searching for something . If they need a report from a doc or something that owuld be ont hing but whole records . No i dont see that . I dont know the law on that neither but they dont need it . and i personally womt release nothing to them unless i know exactly what it is for and i want copys of all of what they get also .. tell yuor friend to be careful sonds as if trouble may be lurking ahead ..
Hazel McBride, a contemporary suicide researcher and psychotherapist ... "No government and no court should be allowed to take a child from a parent unless there is a very, very, very good reason," says Dr. McBride. "Because to have a child ripped from you, it's the same as a child dying. It's absolutely uncivilized, barbaric and devastating for any parent. It's not uncommon for these people to suffer depressive breakdowns."

www.spareourchildren.tk

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:41 am

The parents should request a copy of education procedural safeguard requirements under the individuals with disablilites act from the school. If this is a special needs child they should have been a copy of this any time they look into the IEP files, as its the copy of rights. In there they should be able to find some information in there.

Most of the time the schools employees do not know what they are talking about when they request information. They dont know squat about medical diagnosis, no matter how much they swear up and down that they are extremely familiar with that disability'. They are ignorant as far as medical stuff goes.

Have you had any updates as to why this information has been requested?

Return to “CPS Investigations”