CPS is kicking our lawyer off our case?!?!

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Harlan Carroll

CPS is kicking our lawyer off our case?!?!

Postby Harlan Carroll » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:30 pm

WHAT?!

My wife went to go visit our kids for a supervised visit at the CPS headquarters today, and after the visit she talked with our new case worker. She told my wife:

1) We're assigning you two court-appointed lawyers tomorrow. One for each of you.

2) Your current lawyer can no longer work on your case.

Then I called our lawyer to tell her about this, and she was shocked! They hadn't even talked with _her_ about this! And she told me point blank CPS can't just force us to drop our current attorney.

Have any of you ever heard of this before? CPS just muscling in and presuming to dictate what lawyers we get?!

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:42 pm

But wait friends, my wife asked if our lawyer can come talk with the kids, and the case worker said she would "not allow anyone to interview the kids."

How the _bleep_ can our lawyer provide an effective defense if CPS won't even let her talk with the kids?!

luvmykidz

Postby luvmykidz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:27 pm

Not only that, but CPS is doing a re-removal of the kids. Well, she is filing this tomorrow! The problem with this is the fact that we discussed this the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, she had over a week to do this. She hasn't even filed this with the courts yet? In their handbook, they are also suppose to have a 24-48 hour hearing and a 14 day status hearing. We aren't even going in front of the judge until the 19th.

We aren't going to have a chang of our family service plan until after the holidays, but she told me that we are getting new separate counselors, too. So we could "have a safe place to say whatever we wanted." I like the counselor I am with and knows both of us very well. I don't want to have to re-do everything because of this.

I wanted to clarify something that my husband said. I asked the caseworker if our current attorney can complete her own independent investigation. She said she didn't think it would be necessary and said she wouldn't let anyone talk to the kids.

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Not only that, but CPS is doing a re-removal of the kids.

What is mean't by that? They are already in state custody.. To a different home?

Have any of you ever heard of this before? CPS just muscling in and presuming to dictate what lawyers we get?!

Like I've said before, CPS/caseworkers think they can do anything until you begin to talk their talk, quoting laws and policys and inform them of what they can and can't do

Ask her, smiling and kinda sarcastically, to show you what state statute or CPS policy gives them the authority to discharge your lawyer and place a lawyer of their choosing for you? because you will be bringing it up to the judge.

How the _bleep_ can our lawyer provide an effective defense if CPS won't even let her talk with the kids?!

Do they have their own lawyer?
My advice is my opinion and not legal advice
A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

luvmykidz

Postby luvmykidz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:36 pm

Yes, the kids have their own lawyer that CPS provided. I doubt they would fight as hard for the kids like we are for them!

Quote:
Not only that, but CPS is doing a re-removal of the kids.

What is mean't by that? They are already in state custody.. To a different home?

They are doing that instead of doing the monitored return with us. They had until Dec. 16th to close this case and they no longer wanted to do the monitored return based on the 'new information' about the sexual misconduct against my husband. I really had no idea they could do this and still not sure if they can. The kids are still in the same foster home with no plans of removal.

Basically, we are starting over. New service plans will be drawn up and we will be assigned new counselors as well. Which we don't like either as we will have to start over and not make much progress. It's almost like we are reverting to the beginning. It is very hard for me to see the kids without my husband and it hurts when the kids ask "Where's daddy?" and the case worker says, "He is at work," when that is not the case.

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Here's what I think:

If CPS feel the have to lie to their clients to protect them - or to prevent the other side from having equal ability to investigate their client's claims - they are not really doing an investigation.

Furthermore, if CPS is telling the parents they can't use their lawyer any more - and that CPS must provide a lawyer for each the parents - they are trying to railroad us into taking their course of action.

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Do you file paperwork to dispute their lies?
Do the lawyers you have fight for you or talk you into going along with cps?

My advice is my opinion and not legal advice

A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

gemgem

Postby gemgem » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:44 pm

Harlan Carroll wrote:Here's what I think:

If CPS feel the have to lie to their clients to protect them - or to prevent the other side from having equal ability to investigate their client's claims - they are not really doing an investigation.

Furthermore, if CPS is telling the parents they can't use their lawyer any more - and that CPS must provide a lawyer for each the parents - they are trying to railroad us into taking their course of action.

Are you paying for the lawyer now? Or is the lawyer you have court appointed? I cant see a reason why they wouldnt allow the current one to stay on the case and maybe add one new one if they feel your wife needs one of her own.

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:26 pm

We're paying our current one and we're happy with her. And we're also sticking together. If my wife _really_ thought I had _ever_ molested any of our kids, she'd have _immediately_ thrown me out.

But the fact is we've known each other for 16 years, and all my friends have known me up to as long, and a few longer than that - and I'm not that type of person. So we're not splitting up over this, and we're going to fight this. And we're going to keep the same lawyer to do so. :)

GamerXY

Re: CPS is kicking our lawyer off our case?!?!

Postby GamerXY » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:15 pm

Harlan Carroll wrote:WHAT?!

My wife went to go visit our kids for a supervised visit at the CPS headquarters today, and after the visit she talked with our new case worker. She told my wife:

1) We're assigning you two court-appointed lawyers tomorrow. One for each of you.

Sorry to ask, what was the reason that your SW gave your wife?
According to national data from the Child Welfare League of America, investigative caseworkers' qualifications fall into the following categories:

No degree: 5 percent
Bachelor's degree, any field: 26 percent
Bachelor's degree, related field: 45 percent
Bachelor of Social Work: 14 percent
Master of Social Work: 2 percent
Other: 7 percent

http://ndas.cwla.org/

luvmykidz

Postby luvmykidz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Sorry to ask, what was the reason that your SW gave your wife?

The only reason she told me was that it would be a 'conflict of interest' if our current lawyer (who we obtained and paid for earlier on when CPS threatened to TPR us) were to remain on the case. We believe they don't want CPS to use her because she use to be a family court judge many years earlier. They know she knows how their system works and what they do to families.

We also saw our current counselor for the last time today. We will both be assigned new counselors after being with our current one for over 18 months. We are also going to have to do new psychological evaluations and will probably have to attend parenting classes all over again.

They are doing a re-removal based on new circumstances because this is the first time we have dealth with these sexual misconduct allegations. Nowhere in this entire 18 months of hell, has this ever been brought out before. I have known my husband for 16 years, since 1990. We started dating in late 1994, moved in together in late 1995, engaged in 1996 and married in 1997. We have a great relationship and have been the only marriage that has survived out of our friends.

I know my husband and he isn't a child molester. If I had any doubt he did any of this, he wouldn't still be living here and we would definately not be together now.

We don't understand why this happened three weeks before we were to get the kids. Why now? It would have been a monitored return, but a return nevertheless! We were to get them home once before and at the last minute, things happened and that got blown out of the water. So this is the 2ND time we were to get the kids and the 2ND time it didn't happen. Do you see a pattern here??

GamerXY

Postby GamerXY » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:37 pm

luvmykidz wrote:The only reason she told me was that it would be a 'conflict of interest' if our current lawyer (who we obtained and paid for earlier on when CPS threatened to TPR us) were to remain on the case. We believe they don't want CPS to use her because she use to be a family court judge many years earlier. They know she knows how their system works and what they do to families.

We also saw our current counselor for the last time today. We will both be assigned new counselors after being with our current one for over 18 months. We are also going to have to do new psychological evaluations and will probably have to attend parenting classes all over again.

Do you have the option to hire another attorney? Say…one that is recommended by the previous one?

What I would suggest you also try is…find out more about the current judge that resides over your case and check out his/her rulings on previous history. My field instructor told me he once had a case transferred to another judge because he argued that the first judge has a history of ruling against family reunification and it would be unfair for his client.

luvmykidz wrote:I know my husband and he isn't a child molester. If I had any doubt he did any of this, he wouldn't still be living here and we would definately not be together now.

If I understand this correctly, Harlan said his child disclosed this new allegation to a social worker. I am not sure if they led your child to say these things or not, but in most situations, we have to take the child’s words seriously and do another investigation. Your social worker probably checked your history to see if you had any history in that area by now. Hopefully things would work out for you and your family.

Recently I had a case that was quite similar to yours. Instead of child molestation, it was physical abuse on a young boy by his mom’s boyfriend. Initially I actually believed the boy after seeing the scratch marks, bruises, and hearing testimonies from others. However, we found out after meeting the parents that there were some incident at home and the boy didn’t want his mom to be with this guy. We did some counseling with the mother and the child before closing the case. Considering the seriousness of the allegation, we haven’t heard from them since—which is good.

Good luck.
According to national data from the Child Welfare League of America, investigative caseworkers' qualifications fall into the following categories:

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 am

Ya'll said:

"It is very hard for me to see the kids without my husband and it hurts when the kids ask "Where's daddy?" and the case worker says, "He is at work," when that is not the case."

Is your caseworker or the worker saying this a liscensed social worker? If so, go read the social worker's code of ethics that are to follow!!!!!

HONESTY is one of the code of ethics!!!!!!!!!!!

If she is a lisc. social worker bring that up....tell her her professional code of ethics state she is to be honest to her clients, NOT lie to them!!!!!!!!!

I've brought that up to my caseworker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And....I also plan to file a complaint against her with the social work lisc. board for the violations of the social work code of ethics that she committed.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:37 am

GamerXY,

How do you find out how a judge has ruled on certain things in the past?

Are you a social worker? Liscensed?

Do you work for CPS?

I went back to school to finish my social work degree...I need 4 more classes to graduate.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:44 am

I do not believe there is ANY WAY CPS can dictate what lawyer you can have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fight this!!!!

Surely your lawyer knows whether or not they can do that!

I thought it was the courts that gave parents court appointed lawyers, NOT CPS, when the parents couldn't afford a lawyer?

You have the right to self determination.....and that totally includes getting your own lawyer!!!!!

You've been paying this lawyer, no way do you have to use the lawyers "cps" gets for you! CPS "choosing" your lawyer WOULD be a conflict of interest!!!!! It's NOT likely that they would "choose" a GOOD lawyer for you two!!!!!

It could be that it could be viewed as a conflict of interest down the road for you & your wife to have the same lawyer---IF cps begans to do exactly what you all anticipate-----tell you two that they are going to try to reunite the chldren with the mom only if dad moves out......if they are going to try to TPR the dad.....But, if that happens, it is YOUR LAWYER that will determine if it is a conflict of interest & she will tell you that & will advise you two thta one of you needs to hire a different lawyer.

In your case, I'd do EVERYTHING I could to avoid a court appt. lawyer!!!! Though it will be difficult to afford 2 lawyers if the need arsies, both of you get several jobs & FIGHT & find a way to afford the BEST lawyers you can!!!! It sounds like ya'll are going to NEED lawyers that will FIGHT for you!!!!!

In the end, it comes down to a COURT hearing & the lawyer you have & the fight he puts on for you.

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:24 am

If a wife and husband separate or get divorced, that
can be used to insist that each has a different lawyer.
The issue is whether the two parents legal interests DIFFER.

If a couple is resolute and together there is less
of a conflict for an attorney to represent them both.

If they really do criminally charge the husband, the
criminal charge might actually create diverging interests.

We found a good attorney who represented ME awhile back,
but after winning, and after my SO's attorney started
getting sloppy, we wanted the good one to represent
her. But it was just after an appeal was started, and
the court didn't want the good attorney to bring the
whole thing to an end, so they fought having the good
one represent my SO. It's interesting seeing the
""neutral"" court being so active in trying to DELAY
or prevent something so HELPFUL.

I think they truly are afraid of parents having a good attorney.

One of the better arguments I would use
against these games is that I believe this
attorney could actually provide us with
the "vigorous representation" that we are
supposed to have!

Watch the Judge try to get around THAT! He he

GamerXY

Postby GamerXY » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:57 am

anxiousmom wrote:GamerXY,
How do you find out how a judge has ruled on certain things in the past?

I don't really know the exact detail. My field instructor has been working in CPS for a long time. He told me that many of his cases that went through this particular judge had resulted in failed reunification or TPR. What he did then was present the results of these cases to "someone" <-- not sure exactly who, and pointed out that this judge may be biased toward families when it comes to reuniting them. He said he was able to move the case he had at the time to another courtroom with another judge.

Since I've brought this up, I will ask my FI for more info on how to get this done on Monday. We'll see what happens.

anxiousmom wrote:Are you a social worker? Liscensed?

Do you work for CPS?

I went back to school to finish my social work degree...I need 4 more classes to graduate.

Hah, good to know there's another SW major on these boards. Are you pursuing your Master or BSW?

I am also SW major going for my Master. I also have one more semester to go before getting it. In the meantime, I am interning at CPS ER (Emergency Response--the initial investigator of a referral). This is also the place where I will work in the next couple years.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:19 pm

Getting my BSW.

I plan on getting my masters, too.

I really want to work with hoarders helping them dehoard their homes.

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:02 pm

GamerXY wrote:Do you have the option to hire another attorney? Say…one that is recommended by the previous one?

We don't know one way or the other on that. I'm not sure what would prevent us from getting a second attorney.

GamerXY wrote:What I would suggest you also try is…find out more about the current judge that resides over your case and check out his/her rulings on previous history.

Our biggest problem with this case, as far as judges are concerned, is that we haven't had a consistant judge. The one we had for the first year, was disinterested (it seemed) and apparently retired. We've had two judges since, and we were going to have a third judge in our last permenancy hearing, but that one got postponed. As I understand it we're going to have that judge again in this next permenancy hearing. But we'll have had 4 judges total.

As far as who the new judge will be in the new case CPS wants to file - I don't know. Fortunately our lawyer has been around here forever, has been a former CPS judge, and seems to know everyone. So I think we can get her to know, or find out, what we need to know about our future judge.

GamerXY wrote:If I understand this correctly, Harlan said his child disclosed this new allegation to a social worker. I am not sure if they led your child to say these things or not, but in most situations, we have to take the child’s words seriously and do another investigation. Your social worker probably checked your history to see if you had any history in that area by now. Hopefully things would work out for you and your family.

That's the thing. I am confident my kids will vindicate me if there is a fair investigation.

What ticks me off is the attorney for the kids apparently told my attorney that the video tapes made later (in an interview held by a third-party) were somehow damning. That somehow they were saying a bunch of things on them. We learn a week later that there wasn't actually anything incriminating said at all on the tapes. And what I am essentially being told is that the kids' attorney was misled by CPS on that matter and he's not happy with it.

GamerXY wrote:Good luck.

We're going to need more than that, apparently. I talked with my family counselor and it still looks like CPS is trying to file criminal charges against me. But as of yet, 5 weeks later, nobody's offered to speak to me and ask me for my side of the story. It's not like I am hiding out anywhere, or not being talkative. If anything has been true in this case I've been more than willing to talk at length about this, to anyone that will hear me.

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:18 pm

anxiousmom wrote:Is your caseworker or the worker saying this a liscensed social worker? If so, go read the social worker's code of ethics that are to follow! HONESTY is one of the code of ethics! If she is a lisc. social worker bring that up....tell her her professional code of ethics state she is to be honest to her clients, NOT lie to them!

I feel _exactly_ the same way.

I don't mind CPS telling the children that Daddy can't be here because we won't let him - because that's true. But just trying to deflect the situation, and then cover it up by lying? I don't get that. The kids apparently have no idea why they were taken away yet again by CPS. Something is inherently wrong about that.

anxiousmom wrote:I've brought that up to my caseworker! And....I also plan to file a complaint against her with the social work lisc. board for the violations of the social work code of ethics that she committed.

Good for you! Seriously, it should be obvious to anyone that CPS has to be shady to get the results they want. And if you think about it, they complain about their caseloads - but if they _really_ did their jobs they wouldn't have the case loads they do. But they go overboard to make things look worse for the families they try to break up, that such a level of successful (if morally-wrong) tactics puts them in a situation where they can't take care of the _real_ families with problems.

Nobody can fault CPS for wanting to protect kids. But everyone can fault CPS for their methods.

anxiousmom wrote:I do not believe there is ANY WAY CPS can dictate what lawyer you can have! Fight this!

Yeah this has turned out to be the last straw. At this point we want to sever the ties with CPS since they're just continuing to do these sorts of things to our family.

anxiousmom wrote:Surely your lawyer knows whether or not they can do that!

Oh yeah she does, and she was a bit surprised. They didn't even talk with her about it. They were just going to do this under her nose.

anxiousmom wrote:I thought it was the courts that gave parents court appointed lawyers, NOT CPS, when the parents couldn't afford a lawyer? You have the right to self determination.....and that totally includes getting your own lawyer!

Yeah here is the thing. CPS normally tries to push for parents to get a lawyer, only when TPR is being filed. And in this case we don't see any evidence they are filing for TPR for either of us in this case. So suddenly they are trying to get us a couple laywers - one for each of us. And then claiming we have to get rid of our current one.

Here is the thing, gang. In February of this year, when our case worker said she was going to "push for termination of parental rights" - we immediately got a lawyer to defend us.

a) We didn't wait for CPS to get around to doing that for us.

b) We didn't get a public defender.

c) We did some research, asked around, and found one that was highly recommended to us, because of her legal and judicial experience. She was a family lawyer for a long time and a former CPS judge. She knows the system.

Why the hell would we pick an anonymous public defender over her?

anxiousmom wrote:You've been paying this lawyer, no way do you have to use the lawyers "cps" gets for you! CPS "choosing" your lawyer WOULD be a conflict of interest! It's NOT likely that they would "choose" a GOOD lawyer for you two!

Exactly. And while I don't think CPS has the exact choice of choosing which lawyers we'd get, the mere fact they would be getting us public defenders over the lawyer we've been with for several months speaks volumes....

anxiousmom wrote:It could be that it could be viewed as a conflict of interest down the road for you & your wife to have the same lawyer---IF cps begans to do exactly what you all anticipate-----tell you two that they are going to try to reunite the chldren with the mom only if dad moves out......if they are going to try to TPR the dad.....But, if that happens, it is YOUR LAWYER that will determine if it is a conflict of interest & she will tell you that & will advise you two thta one of you needs to hire a different lawyer.

In your case, I'd do EVERYTHING I could to avoid a court appt. lawyer! Though it will be difficult to afford 2 lawyers if the need arsies, both of you get several jobs & FIGHT & find a way to afford the BEST lawyers you can! It sounds like ya'll are going to NEED lawyers that will FIGHT for you! In the end, it comes down to a COURT hearing & the lawyer you have & the fight he puts on for you.

Agreed 100%!
Last edited by Harlan Carroll on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Greegor wrote:If a wife and husband separate or get divorced, that can be used to insist that each has a different lawyer.
The issue is whether the two parents legal interests DIFFER. If a couple is resolute and together there is less of a conflict for an attorney to represent them both. If they really do criminally charge the husband, the criminal charge might actually create diverging interests.

This is what we're thinking. That they are still trying to press criminal charges against me, and push for us to ditch our current lawyer by splitting us up.

But we want to stay married, and get our kids back. And we don't want to drink the CPS Kool Aid any longer. It's done nothing over the last year and a half, other than have our kids live in 3 different foster homes, attend 4 different schools, miss two Halloweens, Thanksgivings and Christmas holidays, not to mention the various medical problems that have occured under the "protection" of the foster care system.

Greegor wrote:I think they truly are afraid of parents having a good attorney.

Exactly.

Greegor wrote:One of the better arguments I would use
against these games is that I believe this attorney could actually provide us with the "vigorous representation" that we are
supposed to have! Watch the Judge try to get around THAT!

Good point!

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:05 pm

GamerXY:
You said you are an investigative caseworker??

Can you confirm for me some kind of simple things?

In a given week, how many investigations do
you do, and how many are for REAL abuse
like blood, broken bones, sexual abuse?

What percentage do YOU think are the real
hardcore ABUSE that the public often thinks
this is all about??

Most cases are incredibly BORING, right?

Caseworkers live for the "memorable" cases right?

What do YOU think of the Iowa removal rate?
(Three times national average, with wildly
varying rates of removal from county to county.)

I could see if there were more removals in
areas with more crime, more drugs, etc. but
many counties are NOT high crime zones yet
removals per capita are seven times what they
should be...

What's your take on that as an investigator?

Can you blame people for thinking that the numbers
of removals reflect corruption and quotas?

In your job, do you feel much pressure to do
what you know is the WRONG thing?

Like remove kids where there is no "imminent danger"?

LIE about parents to "make a case"?

Do YOU think the Risk Assessment "tools" forms
are objective? Fair?
Did you see the info that no two workers
would score the exact same situation the same?

GamerXY

Postby GamerXY » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Greegor, I will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge once I have more time to sit down and type. I'm working on my finals now and I should be done soon (hopefully). However, I will probably make a new thread for it because I don't want to hijack

EDIT:
Check here for my response:
http://forum.fightcps.com/viewtopic.php?p=35543#35543

Harlan's thread.

Greegor wrote:GamerXY:
You said you are an investigative caseworker??

Can you confirm for me some kind of simple things?

In a given week, how many investigations do
you do, and how many are for REAL abuse
like blood, broken bones, sexual abuse?

What percentage do YOU think are the real
hardcore ABUSE that the public often thinks
this is all about??

Most cases are incredibly BORING, right?

Caseworkers live for the "memorable" cases right?

What do YOU think of the Iowa removal rate?
(Three times national average, with wildly
varying rates of removal from county to county.)

I could see if there were more removals in
areas with more crime, more drugs, etc. but
many counties are NOT high crime zones yet
removals per capita are seven times what they
should be...

What's your take on that as an investigator?

Can you blame people for thinking that the numbers
of removals reflect corruption and quotas?

In your job, do you feel much pressure to do
what you know is the WRONG thing?

Like remove kids where there is no "imminent danger"?

LIE about parents to "make a case"?

Do YOU think the Risk Assessment "tools" forms
are objective? Fair?
Did you see the info that no two workers
would score the exact same situation the same?
[url][/url][url][/url]

Return to “CPS Investigations”