To be on the safe side...

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

cgbr

To be on the safe side...

Postby cgbr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:13 pm

A little while ago, my 3 y/o ran outside while I was doing dishes. She had been in the living room watching Noggin. She was only wearing a shirt, although I didn't know it when it happened. I asked my oldest to check on her, and she came in and said she'd gone across the street and that she'd once again taken her clothes off. She then turned to run to get her for me (I can't run - I have three slipped discs in my back).

My son also ran out, and apparently grabbed her and drug her a little - she ended up with a scratch on her backside before oldest reached her.

I didn't think anything of it, but just had a sherriff's deputy come up about it to take my information. I told him what happened, but I didn't think to say that she'd gotten scratched. He cautioned me to keep a closer eye on her, said he has three kids and he knows how it goes, but next time someone would have to call DSS.

That doesn't mean someone won't call anyways.

Other than tying her to a chair (JOKING!) and duct-taping her clothes to her (also kidding)...what should I do just in case DSS does come knocking anyways?
Last edited by cgbr on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:49 pm

First thing I would recommend is for you to go to the Hardware store and get locks and get them installed higher on the door so that the child can't reach to get outside.

Second, is if they do come to your house, don't let them inside the house. Talk outside and explain this and that...but don't talk your heads off. (just kidding) But in reality, the more you tell them, the more they will go "against" you in their reports and make it indicated. Talk minimally as possible. Don't talk about the pasts, like you tell her it's happened before. If that was the first time she did it, then say so. First time and you will make sure it does not happen again and you have already secured locks on the doors to protect her from going outside.

If she wanted to look at the locks, show her the pictures that it is indeed on. But don't give it away, keep those for Evidence (just in case) that you need it for the Future.

Like everybody advises, make sure you keep everything documented all the way to a T's and dot's the I's. I am not sure if you had read the Front page "What to do if CPS Worker comes to your Door." I would suggest you to re-read it to protect your Family Interests.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

cgbr

Postby cgbr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks, Frustrated...we just moved into this house not long ago, but when I called DH and told him he said he'll bring home locks tomorrow. We'd been debating if we really needed them or not, with the kids older now, but apparently we do - and a screen for the back sliding glass door that she'd gone out of.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Just for the Doors that leads to outside. It will protect your Family and you don't want these people into your Lives again. They are really that bad.

Like they used to say:

Better safe than sorry.

You can always take them down when the child gets older too as well.

Toddlers are the ones that are very curious and loves to go outside. That's understandable, but with CPS involved, they won't take that and will make your Lives like hell. Better put them up and you will never have this incident again.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:41 pm

http://www.fightcpspackets.info/Parents ... ystem.html

http://www.fdno.org/10_tips.html
Check with the hardware store and fire marshall about safety locks for children who are escape artists.

It may be that you would have to get an alarm system in order to comply with fire codes.

This is from the Life Safety Code Handbook, which explains the National Fire Code:

21-2.4.8 No door in any means of escape shall be locked against egress when the building is occupied. All locking devices that impede or prohibit egress or that cannot be easily disengaged shall be prohibited.

A-21-2.4.6 It is the intent of this requirement that security measures, where installed, should not prevent egress.

Paragraph 21-2.4.6 prohibits a one- or two-family dwelling from having any door locked "against egress" while the building is occupied. This requirement permits a door to have a locking device that allows the door to be opened from within the building for the purpose of egress but does not allow the door to be opened from outside the building. Ordinary double cylinder locks and chain locks do not meet these provisions. Several tragic multiple-death fires have occurred when a key could not be found to unlock these devices.

Although not specifically referenced, the language of 5-2.1.5.1 is appropriate: "Locks, if provided, shall not require the use of a key, tool, special knowlege, or effort for operation from the inside of the building." This eliminates double cylinder locks and chain locks that require a key in order to be operated from the inside. Paragraph 5-2.1.5.3 requires the use of a simple operation to open a door; locks that require two-handed knob and similar operations are specifically prohibited...

This applies only to doors or windows that are part of the required escape system. Often the rear door of a dwelling is not part of the required escape system and, therefore, is permitted to be equipped with a double cylinder lock.

cgbr

Postby cgbr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks, Marina - I hadn't thought of that. We used to have some that were kinda like the ball/chain lock where you could open the door partway but these were solid and not a chain. We were going to get those and put them up near the top of the door.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Yes those are the kinds I use, chain locks so you can easily open when necessary to go out. Mine were very smart and can open the chain locks but I put them higher up so they can't reach.

Make sure the Windows are not blocked so you can escape out of the window just in case. No obstruction or boxes in front of the Windows.

And make sure you have Working Fire Alarms (at least two) but if more than 5 Rooms, additional fire alarm should be warranted.
That is just in case if the CPS Worker asks and wants to check to see if you have it. They'll ask. You never know?

rlfroo

Postby rlfroo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:45 am

If you go to Target they have a package of 6 door alarms for about $10.00. I think they are made by Black and Decker. You can set it to make a very nice chime vs. a loud alarm. I have these installed on several of my doors. It really helps kids running out the door without you noticing. It is very commom for children the age of yours, wanting to go outside and explore. I have had several children that love to run out and explore. I tried locks, I tried everything until these alarms. As soon as they hear the chime they back away as they know I am aware of their escape! lol. I also put one of these chimes on my laundry room door as my daughter of 2 loves to go in there and open the dryer and throw all the clean clothes on the floor! Good luck with everything, hope this helps.

Return to “CPS Investigations”