They're back after a year, & I'm freaking. UPDATED pls

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

righteousbabe

They're back after a year, & I'm freaking. UPDATED pls

Postby righteousbabe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi all... I haven't been here in ages for CPS reasons anyway, and I foolishly thought we were DONE with them.

Picked up my youngest son from school today, and he says he was interviewed. He has a letter from a CW telling me to contact her by Thursday to discuss a "report of neglect or abuse". Same old crap. It includes her phone number and name and of course, address of the main office.

I am in full-blown panic attack mode.

I need to calm down, and I need solid advice as to what to do next, please!

He is 10 and very mature/smart... (my son).. he said there didn't seem to be any pattern to her questions, i.e. no "focus" on one issue above another. Just the generic "do you get enough to eat?, do you get left alone, do your parents do drugs, does anyone beat each other up, does anyone touch you inappropriately, who watches you when you are not with your parents", that sort of thing. He said she tried to "trick" him into saying he was left alone, by first asking "are you ever left alone" and after he said no (he isn't!) then asking "so who do you stay with when you are left home?" (he's not!). He seemed to find her rather daft. ;-) She tape recorded the interview and he says she had someone with her who largely remained quiet.

My eldest (15) goes to the same school (charter school) but was not there today to be questioned due to seasonal allergies. Ironically, the school nurse who is a close personal friend of the family was not in either... too bad because she would have been all over the CW.. she's BDTD herself with her own 2 kids. One of the reasons we initially bonded!

We cannot figure out who reported, but have it narrowed down to 2 possibilities: someone at the school (not so likely) or my SO's ex (highly likely).

A summary of our background:

My SO an I have a "blended" family and we are a same-sex family (please DON'T START on that). Two kids each, they are 2 teens and a 10 year old and the only girl who is pre-K aged.

My SO had dumb vindictive unfounded reports before we met (made by hateful ex's) and since we've been together there have been more dumb vindictive reports (her ex and an ex friend of ours), lotta nonsense and BS, total of five investigations in five years, 4 unfounded.

About the one, it was actually a "finding" against my SO's son. I don't know if they make a distinction as to who the "perpetrator" is but if they do, then neither adult was named as such... and since he was 10 at the time it was not prosecuted legally and so there might be a file naming him as "perp" but I don't know.

You can search my username for details but basically he was 10, my son was 5, there was inappropriate contact and as SOON as we were told (by my son) we separated and lived apart for several months, got them both in counseling, cooperated with CPS for a whole year, did nothing w/out their approval, and the case was closed.

That same child (my SO's son) does not currently live here and is living w/his godmother (he's a teen now)... because of behavioral problems, but nothing has happened since the occurrence 5 years ago and we have never ever let them be alone together. Every false BS since then has focused on that issue, of course.

Anyway, that's along story which I can go more into if needed but we suspect this call might have come from my SO's ex, who is part of the long story, kidnapped the youngest for a year and made a big CPS mess and we didnt' get her home with us until last summer. He has been absent and made no contact since January?? but wouldn't put it past him to make a report, and since my kids are in the same school they were in the last time we had CPS contact they knew right where to go.

Oh and i am FUMING because I am 99.9% certain that last year I gave the school a letter informing them that my kids were NOT to be interviewed without my presence and at minimum I MUST be called first! We have 3 cell phones in this family plus home phone plus email and I had to hear this from my son after school today!??

We have moved and have had a blissful year of peace and now this. I don't think I can take it. I just don't know what to do next because I cannot think when this happens. A previous CW was a nut job and told my kid and my so's kid that they'd be "taken away" if they didn't talk to her, and they are totally terrorized about CPS now. The most recent CW we had was involved due to my SO's ex, and she KNOWS all about him and how he is crazy and harassed us and kidnapped the child, do y'all think there is ANY point contacting her?

Should we meet with this newest? Or send mail? Or?

I have some serious concerns about them wanting to interview the 4 yo alone. She is VERY prone to "pretending". Just 2 nights ago I walked by her room and heard her crying, so I went to see why, and she insisted that *I* had pushed her in the hallway! Swore up and down. So that scares me, because ya never know what she'll say.

We're in TX btw.
Last edited by righteousbabe on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth2816

Postby Kenneth2816 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:53 pm

I've never heard of CPS giving a note to a 10 year old for the parents. Sounds very low priority to me though. Usually, they see the kids then drive right over to the house without calling.

I doubt they'd tip their hand so much if there were serious concerns on their part. Sounds like your son did a great job, poor little guy.

So clean the house up, don't panic, you already know the drill. Once your name gets in the CPS Rolodex, there really is no such thing as a "closed case".

And try not to obsess over who it was. I know it is hard not to. But again, they are asking merely for a phone call, and then giving you plenty of time to do that. So call and sound chipper, up beat, tell them you hope your son was respectful when speaking to them, and you'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Most likley they are looking to close this case out as unfounded.

Now, I will say that with same sex living arrangements, issues of domestic violence always seem to find there way into the line of questioning.

Questions about inappropriate touch however, do not. Not as a general rule.

One thing to bear in mind: Texas is attempting to revamp its CPS approach. On their website is a survey, or it once was.

Yes, call the new case worker and just act as if nothing is happening. Believe me, they were fishing (which is a huge part of their job) and since today was Monday, the report could have been made made week last week, even.

We all know they ambush the children at school before talking to any parent, but we also know that if anything substantive is suspected, they leave right then and drive to the home.

Sounds like the teens could easily verify nothing is goin on....

righteousbabe

Postby righteousbabe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks for responding. I wish I could calm myself down.

As for them driving right over, is there a chance in hell that they would NOT know where we live?

The school may or may not have our current address. Sounds weird I know but they are a charter school and horribly unorganized. Last I spoke with them they were complaining to ME about mailing something that was returned even though I gave them current info recently.. so I am not sure if they have it.

My SO's kids are in the system for CHIPS/ Medicaid (she recently applied) so could they get the address there?

I don't WANT them in the house. Ugh. I work from home but lately here I've been pulling 50plus hours a week. I don't have time for this (I'm sure I"m not the first to say that!)... we bought this house, moved in around March, and are still not organized.

The letter sent with my son said "please call by thursday" but also said they wanted to meet "face to face" so is that worse than just a call? Do they EVER do just a call?

I cannot believe they don't assign the same caseworker each time. Would make so much more sense to have someone familiar with the details.

The question about inappropriate touch comes from the issues with my son and my SO's son FIVE years ago when they were 10 and 5, respectively (and he was not "ten" mentally/emotionally, and he was abused himself by a cousin)... so I know where it's coming from but holy cow, do we have to revisit that every year? One thing that worries me is that when they asked my son about THAT he said "I really don't feel comfortable discussing that with you"... which makes me proud BUT might have them freaking out? It's just that he's been through therapy, and has had the question asked over and over because EVERY CW brings it up and he doesn't like discussing it with "them" and wants them to let sleeping dogs lie.

He will tell them straight up that there have been NO other incidents, that he feels safe at home, that we never ever left them unsupervised at all, not even for a nanosecond, since that happened.. and now he (the older child) doesn't even live here with us, but he (mine) is just so tired of discussing it.

I imagine they will come to talk w/my eldest next.. (he's 15) but the youngest, oh my. Hopefully they'll leave her out of it, cuz she is something else with her imaginary friends and stories and some of these workers are so clueless about kids at that age.

I don't want to obsess over who did it but since we are reasonably certain who did it and he's done it before, and threatened before to "use" CPS, I want to figure out how to make HIM stop.

Then again, (and after thinking on it some more and talking to my son about what he was asked)... my son said that there were NO questions pertaining to the youngest at all, which would be odd if her father was the reporter, wouldn't it?

Oh, and he also said that he heard the CW say to the other one "I have 2 more kids to talk to"... which seems like someone at school made a "mass reporting"??

But WHY?

Ugh. He's well dressed and well fed. Sometimes a little sleepy after a weekend when we all tend to get "off schedule". Is that enough to make a report?

Marina

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Check your state CPS manual for what "initiates" an investigation.

Is it contact with the child, contact with the parent? Face to face contact? Telephone contact? Attempted contact? Are you really in a hurry to make the contact yourself, rather than let them do it in a proper way?

Also check the manual for your rights at the initiation of an investigation. Do you have a right to know what the allegations before talking?

Also check confidentiality policy. Sending a note home with a child seems to be a gross violation of the confidentiality of both the child and parent. Both the caseworker and the school should be disciplined.

Consider waiting for a court order before allowing a home visit.

righteousbabe

Postby righteousbabe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Marina wrote:.

Check your state CPS manual for what "initiates" an investigation.

Is it contact with the child, contact with the parent? Face to face contact? Telephone contact? Attempted contact? Are you really in a hurry to make the contact yourself, rather than let them do it in a proper way?

Also check the manual for your rights at the initiation of an investigation. Do you have a right to know what the allegations before talking?

Also check confidentiality policy. Sending a note home with a child seems to be a gross violation of the confidentiality of both the child and parent. Both the caseworker and the school should be disciplined.

Consider waiting for a court order before allowing a home visit.

I'm just stressed and I know if I wait I'll be a mess while I do so...

Anyone have a link to the TX CPS manual? I will look here, I used to have all that, before I had to reformat my hard drive. I lost everything, email contacts, links, all CPS related stuff.

Any thoughts on trying to contact the previous worker who "knows" us and was sorta-kinda reasonable?

Last time I was able to avoid a home visit by going in and talking with her. We gave in to the drug test crap but then when she tried to pull a fast one and insisted on a test a month later due to a "problem" with the first one, and then also wanted a safety plan, I blew her off and she went away. No home visit aside from her initial contact (where she threatened the kids and scared the bejeezus out of them). I'd like to accomplish that this time.

Now what about the school? It's adding up and the more I think about it I am thinking it is the school.. or more specifically my son's teacher. New teacher, young, naive, privleged upper income woman with a husband and one baby. She'd expressed some "concern" to our friend (the nurse at school) about morning tardiness, but had to admit that even with some morning tardiness my son makes 100+ on all tests and doesn't seem to suffer from missing some spelling.... plus our friend reassured her that there was nothing wrong at home, but I'm wondering now if she is the reporter.

If it is her (and I know I'll never prove it but I can fish enough to get darn close)... what to do? I cannot send him back to this teacher who would jeapordize our family over something so small. It was explained to her that I work from home so that I can be there when the kids are home, but that also means sometimes I work until 4 or 5 am when we are on mandatory overtime, and my SO works in a restaurant and works late nights.. so yes, sometimes this means we oversleep in the morning. I just think she's one of those with NO clue what it's like to try and support 4 kids on low paying jobs and without any child support or help.... and it's easy to be judgemental on the other side of the tracks.

Anyway I will never KNOW but I can have my strong suspicions, and the point of trying to figure it out is to avoid more nonsense in the future. What do y'all think of just changing schools, homeschooling, etc.?

My kids used to go to a small private school where this would NEVER happen. I worked there, and it was policy for all staff to call a staff meeting before any reports were made, and if it was not an outcry by the child, or serious evidence of physical abuse/sexual abuse, then the policy was to have a conference with a family. Often, apparent "neglect" was a misunderstanding. For example, one little girl started showing up with tangled hair, funny clothes/wrinkled clothes, stained stockings (knees)... just out of the blue.

IT was discussed as to whether or not someone should make a report, but when the family was consulted, they learned that there had been an illness in the family, everyone was very emotionally drained, and mom had left the state for a month. Dad (never the primary caregiver and certainly clueless with regard to little girl grooming) was in charge and overwhelmed. The child was clean but unkempt as he was not used to being the sole caregiver. It was a temporary problem and one that was remedied immediately. CPS would have wreaked havoc on an already stressed family, but at this school the policy was to treat parents with respect and try and get to the bottom of things when it was possible to do so without risking the child's safety.

Point is, I COULD send the youngest ones back there. It would mean borrowing money but at this point it seems worth it.
Then I could homeschool the eldest.

I know my posts are a mess of venting and asking for help. I'm sorry. My kids are flipping out. My SO and I are flipping out. Me more than her.. she has that annoying ability to not worry obsessively.

I am just SO tired of this and I want a way out of it for good. I know there is no perfect solution but I cannot imagine my kids living this way for the rest of their childhoods. I am so angry and sad because I have tried so hard to give them the best possible childhoods despite not having much money.. and I can see the stress building now in my eldest. He's been angry all afternoon and won't sleep, keeps getting up to talk. They are forever affected by this. They will probably be 20 before they can NOT freak when some strange car pulls up or the doorbell rings and it's insane. I wish now I'd used my house down payment to leave the state.

THAT is CHILD ABUSE! What they've done to my kids is child abuse. They are going to need therapy, I swear, and I have serious PTSD symptoms.

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:35 am

righteousbabe

UPDATE AND QUESTIONS

Postby righteousbabe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:52 pm

I should know the answer to this stuff but I don't seem to be able to think clearly and I don't want ANY missteps that might accidentally result in FURTHER trouble or extending the trouble we already have.

After the CW interviewed my youngest at school and sent a letter home with him instructing us to call her within 4 days, she did NOT return to speak with my older son (same school) who she'd been looking for that same day (he was absent due to illness).

We called her on Wednesday and got her voice mail, left a message. She called my cell Friday afternoon around 5:00 pm.

She said that there were allegations regarding my child and allegations regarding my GF's daughter (the one who does not live her currently) and she would not speak to me about my GF's son even though we are a family, and previous CW's have always regarded us as such. So whatever.

She said that the allegation concerning my son was that he was A) left alone and B) left alone with my GF"s son. As I mentioned in my original post, there is a history there from five years ago, when all this CPS mess started, and my GF's son is NEVER to be left alone with my son or the youngest child for that matter (and never HAS been).

She told me the allegation and then before I could respond she said that my son had made it clear to her that he was NOT left alone and certainly not ever left alone with my GF's son. I then pointed out that since I work FROM HOME, no one is ever left alone anyway. (Well, sometimes my 15 year old will watch the 2 youngest for 30 minutes max but I didn't tell her that as it's irrelevant and not against the law anyway and never when my GF's son was here at the house) She "seemed" satisfied as to the truth of that statement but then said that she'd need to "talk with us in person" in order to "complete the investigation".

I don't see why this is necessary. I didn't tell her that though. I was honestly not ready for the phone call... she called my cell and it showed as "unknown" and I answered it thinking it was my eldest son calling from our house phone which is set to "private".

I did tell her that with our work schedules I wasn't sure when we'd be able to get with her. She offered to come to the house and I just avoided that question and said that I'd have to see how our schedules look and she told me to "give her a call".

My GF called her separately and she was told basically the same thing, but with the additional allegation that he (her son) was not on his meds. Again, not her concern and not "abuse".. they are psych meds and the decision to put him on or take him off should be up to his mother, yes??? But it was actually due to a medicaid issue, medicaid dropped him without warning and she had been trying to get him back on and just got him back on with 2 applications sent in by mail and ignored, finally had to go in person, but she did get him back on Medicaid this week, and told the CW as much. She explained to her that he wasn't living her by mutual agreement and therefore couldn't be left with my son since he hasn't even been her in about a month. So, CW said the same to her, to call her so we can meet "face to face".

So, my question is, what next?

I didn't record phone conversations, we were not prepared... I honestly don't have time for this of course, I work 50 hour weeks and weekends too, my GF works nights/evenings, it's just a huge inconvenience. We haven't decided what to say, when to go, etc.

Oh, and it's looking like my GF's son might be the one who called. :(
Some of the questions the CW asked MY son were things like "What happens when he gets in trouble? Was he in trouble recently? How are y'all punished?" and before her son moved out, he had been grounded for a long time due to his OWN actions and refusal to behave even long enough to get out of being grounded. He was defiant and indignant and really angry at being grounded, didn't seem to grasp WHY and how it was his doing... so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if HE called. And if so, why 3 weeks to come investigate?

So, what next?

jensmom

Do you have an attorney?

Postby jensmom » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:06 pm

If not I would strongly suggest you get one, for your protection. One of the biggest mistakes I made was in not hiring an attorney (my child was not removed from my home but I went through months of home visits, etc.). I thought that since I was innocent I didn't need legal advice. Sounds like they are just trying to harrass and frighten you more than anything. They do have to investigate all calls, and it sounds like someone is out to get you on some ridiculous, trumped-up allegations. Interesting that the CW's number showed up as "unknown." Hmmm, wonder why they do that? Most people don't answer those calls as it might be a telemarketer. Best of luck, keep posting updates. I'm rooting for you!

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:38 pm

I would call her to come, at 9 PM! or some weird hours. Have her stand outside while you get the lawn chairs...talk outside. Be sure you have some one to watch your kids inside, an adult. Perhaps she would be tired to come out at 9 PM and will cancel instead. or worm her way around, saying it has to be between 9 AM to 5 PM. Most Workers are on call, and can work over time. (too bad for them, it comes with the job!) Tell her to come meet you at 9 PM at your house. But don't tell her that you will be talking to her outside. It will be dark before then. She will be in a hurry to go home.

If she refuse to come at 9 PM, then you will state that you will do it at another time when your schedule clears up. But you did in fact offered her 9 PM appointment....and she refuses. Have her come at 8 AM then. Most Workers are not always early risers. If she again refuses, then you would have to tell her those are the only "available" hours that you can make it since you both have "hectic" working hours. If she again refuses, then you can offer her to tag along while you go food shopping! :D at the grocery store, because that would be your only time off work. or yet offer her a weekend appointment. Most Workers don't like working on weekends and wants to relax at home themselves. Heck even offer Friday at 6 PM. They look really forward to go home.

I have talked with my Workers outside and I had no problems and no objections because they have seen my home, and inside 5 times already, they know already what my house looks like, really clean, and tidy, always full of food in the fridge. What more can they want to look? Whooops, spoke too soon there! YES they can look for anything else in the house! Anything goes with these Workers to write in their reports. No saftey fire exhuisgher? They will use that. Laundry, one load unwashed? They will use that as well. Pizza left on counter, they will use that saying it has been sitting there a week. Dishes unwashed? they can use that against you as well.

Clean your house just in case if they force their way in. Your Office should be okay because that's where you work. :roll: Just tidy up the paperwork as best as you can in a straight form. That's all. It does not have to be exact perfect...unlike those Workers who seek perfectionism. :roll: CPS are all about perfection. Just Kitchen, beds, Living Rooms are the most rooms that have to be cleaned. and Laundry cleaned up.

Anyways, I also have "unknown" on my phone as well, but their phone numbers shows up, so I know who it is. :lol: They do this so the people will get off guard and wonder who it was. Always check the phone number first before answering. They were counting on people to pick up the phone when the phone shows "unknown" or "private". It is a trick they use to make people pick up the phone. It happened to me few times so I am so glad I had caller display eh? We all could use some advance warnin, eh? Don't you wish you can put a band on the child at school where the child can beep you at home letting you know that CPS Worker is coming and talking to them, and asking questions? That way, you can go to the School immediately and ask what is up? It will catch them off guard. That's for sure.

Hey, that's a grand idea........a great invention for giving advance warning from the child. The Child how to avoid answering the questions? Tell them to act sick. Workers cannot force a child to answer questions while they are sick or uncomfortable to answer. Right? If they do force them, then that is child abuse right there. Children has Rights too.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

righteousbabe

Re: Do you have an attorney?

Postby righteousbabe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:31 pm

jensmom wrote:If not I would strongly suggest you get one, for your protection. One of the biggest mistakes I made was in not hiring an attorney (my child was not removed from my home but I went through months of home visits, etc.). I thought that since I was innocent I didn't need legal advice. Sounds like they are just trying to harrass and frighten you more than anything. They do have to investigate all calls, and it sounds like someone is out to get you on some ridiculous, trumped-up allegations. Interesting that the CW's number showed up as "unknown." Hmmm, wonder why they do that? Most people don't answer those calls as it might be a telemarketer. Best of luck, keep posting updates. I'm rooting for you!

No, not officially. I have an acquaintance who is a attorney for the county's criminal district courts. She is unable to assist me directly due to her job, but she says she knows someone who can help, and has talked to them, but this other attorney says I should "talk with them" (CPS) first before spending money on her services, then to call her if it looks like they are going to push for safety plan, drug test, etc. In the event that talking alone doesn't shut them up. I'm annoyed because I've ALREADY talked to them, there's nothing more to say that hasn't been said. I don't know if there is some good reason that they insist on a "face to face" meeting?

So, I guess Isorta have an attorney "on reserve"? Who knows how good she is, but my attorney friend did tell her all about the crap we've been putting up with for FIVE years now with CPS, so hopefully she is a fighter.

I don't make much money at all. I stay in this job precisely so I can be here with my kids! Ironic huh? It's not a home business thing, I am an actual employee, just a "remote" one, so I don't make much more than a fast food worker. I often have to work when they are home but at least I can pause to help with a homework problem, or take a break to have dinner with them, and they are never in any kind of daycare and haven't ever been in any. The eldest is 15 and I am so glad that he STILL wants to come home and tell me about his day and hang out, that I am hesitant to switch jobs to one that pays bette yet separates us for a few more hours a day due to commuting and such. My GF works in food service, no money there either.. so anyway, what money we do have in savings is our emergency fund for car and house repairs (we bought this place in march, our first place that is not a crappy rental!)... so any lawyer fees would come out of that, which is rather scary. Our house is about 100 years old and solid but stuff happens.. that's why we have set aside 'the fund'.

Last time I got all worked up (last October, in fact) about CPS, the worker talked to the kids, had us come in to talk with her, then when we did, got us to agree to drug tests and told us that if the tests were negative she'd close out the case. Well we did the tests and of course they were negative as far as we knew, no reason not to be, and we didn't hear a word....but a MONTH later she calls us up insisting we go THAT DAY and re-take the tests, claiming there was some "problem" with them, threatening to "tell her supervisor" if we didn't, etc. We were not even here at the time, it was Thanksgiving I think, we were at my mom's out of town, and we got the message after we returned and her "deadline" had passed. She then sent a letter wanting us to agree to a safety plan. WTFever! We basically told her no, if she had concerns she sure was taking her sweet time, and the allegations of "no food" had been refuted by proof (grocery receipts totalling $600 a month), and she went away.

So I got all worked up but in the end told her nicely where to stick it and she left us alone. I don't know how she closed that one though.. as "uncooperative"? Who knows. I don't remember a disposition letter on that case. It was just nuts. Maybe that was Oct 05. I think it was 06 though..?! I can't keep them straight anymore!!

As for the "unknown" call. I am VERY paranoid and never answer those when it's to the house phone but not many have the cell# and so, thinking it was my son I answered.. I guess the CW had it in the records from way back and I wasn't thinking about that. Won't happen again! And the thing is, she called the house first and when I checked that caller ID it showed up as CPS, but not on the cell. Weird.

Frustrated:

This sounds whiny but I don't wanna clean the house! I mean, it was never an issue.... and they've seen it enough times, at three different addresses and NUMEROUS home visits, it's not going to change overnight. I have boxes all over still because we moved during a time that I was having to work 7 days a week, it was all we could do to get our stuff out of the old place and over here. I do have a nice big Southern porch though, I could insist we meet there if she insists on "coming to the home".

It's just crap and I'm tired of it. Especially when the allegation was that my youngest was "left alone" which is so obviously false. And left with a child who doesn't even live here. Crap crap crap! I want to make them GO AWAY and STAY AWAY if there are any more calls that are a repeat of previous "non issues", ya know?

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:32 pm

I know the feeling, it is unbelievable that CPS are doing these terrorism on people. It is crap. I know. It is called "interference" into family life. Simply put! I told my Worker that she is interfering into our family life and we want to enjoy our healthy life without being terrorized at. She claims that it is "not" her intentions and state that it is the law of ministry that must ask questions to the whole family. I said somewhere along the lines like why did they wait 4 months for asking questions and even clipped an article where the Attorney General now are investigating CPS for lacking time line "for WAITING TOO LONG"!!!! into the investigation phase. Most took them up more than 4 months and Attorney General said it is unacceptable and will do an internal review about their "wasting time" along the line and will hold them accountable. They say that 114 days are unacceptable and should be disregarded!!!

So I told her that it took her 5 months to ask us questions? She waited and wasted her time which she should have done right then! ONE DAY, and no more than a week. I guess we are low priority risk whereas high risks, they will act very quickly within 24 hours. You said it took you three weeks before she has gotten to the point? Took us 5 months before she get to her point. She said she must talk to every family member of the household but she had refused to talk to my partner! I told her that if she must talk to me, she also must talk to my two other children that she "suddenly" forgotten, and must talk to my partner before she can talk to me after! She just gave up and closed the case out because I had told her that the police incident reports would conflict her case! Yeah just like that. Gotta love the police incident reports. uh? because CPS Workers will have a tough time to lie in their reports.

Oh by the way, you are not the only one with "uncooperative" they got me on this one too, and don't forget the word they also pinned on me was "reclutant" to talk. How can you put two words together if you are uncooperative? Yes she put two words in one sentence. She is uncooperative but reluctant to talk with us regarding the case. bla blah.

It is CRAP! Yes because it is just their words with NO EVIDENCE to back it up! it's all...hearsay. The famous tool they use in their reports are hearsay with NO EVIDENCE whatsover!

It is a farce, laughable, what are they doing? Doin an emotional game or what? They are acting like children playing scrabble game or something? Mind games? They need serious growing up and fly right. They don't act professional these days. I have had one worker is very insane when she tries to talk to a 12 yrs old child like baby talk. "What cha the matter? you got a boo-boo on your knee??" Awwww! Just 100% baby talk, like you would do to a 3 yrs old. The child was 12 yr sold.and he was shocked that he was treated like a baby and didn't like that very much. Even my Mother was disgusted by the Worker's comments on a 12 yrs old treating him like a baby! I had to laugh but I had to contain myself and looked at my mother wondering where they have been?

Good grief. Maybe too much playing at the playground. indeed. Or maybe they don't even have kids and don't know what parenting is! Yup. LOL You and I know fully well you don't talk baby talk to a teenager! It was rather embarrasing watching her doing that. It wasn't even age appropriate.

Anyways, the whole thing is just a sheignan just to pass the buck and make a case against you, me, others and the rest of the nation. It is a government money machine in the making. What you got to do is to prove them otherwise with the Evidence, documents just like you did with groceries receipts. You did exactly right and she did indeed go away, but they feel like they don't have enough, eh? They wanted more. Just like when they had an ice cream and has the desire to have more ice creams so they come in and demand for more. Just like their cases. Make new ones. :roll: It is ridiculous! I think there should be an accounting to make them accountable for their actions like a Watchdog Agency to watch over them to make sure they don't abuse the funds or the System! :wink:
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Kenneth2816

Postby Kenneth2816 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Good post, Frustrated.

righteousbabe

hey everyone

Postby righteousbabe » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:47 am

Well I hoped she'd go away... :lol:

But not. She called yesterday for my GF. Called again today and GF answered. She wanted to "touch base" and said that she still wants to "get together". She asked if GF had signed guardianship authorized her son's caregiver to get medical treatment and such, and GF told her yes.

She wants to meet, I guess we'll go. At least she's not insisting on a home visit (yet?). She mentioned "discussing possible services". :roll:

Weird, she seems to be mainly addressing my GF now, asking for HER when she calls, and not me. Strange since *I* have the younger kid who was supposedly "left alone".

So here's our plan:

We go, preferably meeting in a public place and NOT the CPS office which gives me anxiety attacks.

We answer without giving her more info than she needs to close this out. We don't agree to any drug tests, safety plans, or services. We tell her pleasantly, if she presses, that we will need to talk to our lawyer before agreeing to any of that.

What do you think?

And if she asks for a drug test (They ALWAYS do and it's NUTS)... we should refuse and then go get our own same day?

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 pm

I'm just going to tell you what I think may possibly be going on. 1) They now know because both you and your son told her that your son was not left alone. So that is probably not the issue. 2) They probably know that the older child is the issue. Hence why they are asking about that and asking for your girlfriend not you on the phone. 3) the services may in fact be about the older child not your son.
Now this is just my observation by what your posts say. I'm sure I don't have all the facts. If this is in fact the case who ever the gardian is of this older child needs to be the one they contact. If in fact this has nothing to do with you and your son you need to politely say "I'm sorry but this really has nothing to do with me." Then excuse yourself. Not your kid, not your battle. Your job is to support your girlfriend the best you can not get involved yourself. Now if they try to drag you into the mess get a lawyer before doing anything. The rest of your plan sounds right on target. Don't give them anything to build a case against you and consult a lawyer before jumping through any hoops.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:58 pm

I would suggest the CPS to come to the Lawyer's office to meet. Do you have a Lawyer? If so, talk to him today about what's going on and what he thinks about so called services. You have went through all of this for 5 years already? Why do it some more and do it all over again? It will be emotonally drained for the child.

I think the CPS is just doing their routine, normal standard which is to "meet" after talking to everybody, and to "suggest" services. It is like a salesman trying to sell their products. It is almost similar to what CPS is doing, trying to sell services to you.

Do not give them information for something they can use against you and your GF. Listen to their questions carefully. Yes or no Answers should be fine. or use what Marina suggested in Verbal Abuse Board on Roundtable. It works.

Before you answer their question, you would have to indicate to the CPS Worker that you will not agree to the services until you had confer with your Attorney first. I am sure she will back off once she learned you have an Attorney now.

I would not suggest to bring your Children to the meeting, put them elsewhere safe out of CPS's reaching hands. Only you and GF to meet.

Often times, I would ask for their CPS files and they will shift and change their subject. When I asked again, they seems to back off because they fully know that they had waited too long into the investigation, (5 months!) and I even cut the article of that from the Attorney General indicating that there was an internal review on CPS for taking too long into the investigation and it was unacceptable. I wrote a letter stating that fact and they backed off because they made a mistake.
Did they talk to everyone in the family? Did they talk to each one? Did they miss anyone? That's wat I did which I mentioned to the Worker that she missed interviewing three people before wanting to talk to me. I told them it is the Law for the Worker to interview everyone before they come and talk to the Parents. I had indicated that in the Letter (thru email) indicating that fact. I told the Worker that she must talk to everyone involved before she gets the chance to talk to me.

After that, she did not come back and talk to me. She put in the report as me being "uncooperative". :roll: That is baloney, because two things, they have done wrong, which is: they did not interview everyone, and second, they did not get an Interpreter after my request. Okay, third wrong thing, they took too long into the investigaton which took up to 5 months. I also indicated to her that there was a Police Incident Report and I have it in my hand, which will differ with her reports in a Big way. The police saw that my house was very clean, in a very good order, and that the children are doing good, and well and safe. The police also did not see anything out of sorts. Well, this CPS Worker tried to say otherwise, but I had shown her the fact that the police reports will show and contradicts hers.

That's when she backed off and left me alone. I also told her that she is using interference into the family for 5 months. All of these are well documented, and written on letter via thru email between the worker and myself. All of these written documents are now documented and filed for evidence.

I think it would be a good idea to write a letter via email having proof of what she had said and you have the copy. Ask her for her email address. I just did and got it.

Michael

Texas CPS does not go "Fishing"

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:06 pm

A Texas CPS worker never goes "Fishing" in Texas it is illegal for a worker to contact a parent or child without having received a report. Except for unusual cases this report must have been generated by the State Intake Unit in Austin. There is a 1-800-252-5400 munber for intake statewide.

The exceptions is a emergency report by Law Enforcement, a Medical Provider or a school. These cases must have immediate response based on the needs to protect a child.

If a CPS worker goes to a school to see a child the school CANNOT refuse to allow CPS to see the child. This is based on Texas Law. If you want the reference contact me.

If you refuse to cooperate with the investigation and the worker has to file for a Court Order to participate you run tge risk of the judge ordering your children removed to Foster Care at the Ex Parte Hearing.

In Texas there is no such thing as a "Unfounded" CPS case. A case can be Adninistratively Closed, Ruled Out,PN'ed which means that based on additional knowledge it is never opened. This is when CPS received continual reports from the same reported and they are all Ruled Out then additional cases with be PN.

As to recording this is required by both CPS policy and law. Yes there are exceptions to the Recording Policy.

C{S wokers have been assisgned many cases and have a time line to complete the Investigation and submit the report. In most cases if you cooperate the worker will finish the Investigation quickly and discuss the states of the case closing with yoy.

UNFORTUNATELE the State legislature, during the recent session, ordered CPS to offer more services to cases prior to closing.

This is done under the Family Based Safety Service program. You would be told that the Investigation is being closed and transferred to FBSS.

FBSS workers are suppose to have 12 to 16 cases. Due to this new mandate they have 30 to 40. If your case is transferred to FBSS the assigned worker will be quick to request Court Order to Participate. This involves you and your children in a legal case.

If your case is transferred contact the worker daily until he/she gets tired of hearing from you and rushes ordered services to close the case.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:43 pm

You wrote "she's BDTD herself with her own 2 kids."

What does BDTD stand for?

I hope this is all cleared up soon. I understand the anxiety you & your children feel when CPS comes back into your lives. Been there.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Michael,

Are you a CPS worker?

I am pretty sure I had one or two or three cases ruled as "unfounded".....maybe it was "unsubstansiated."

Even in TX, can't we get those cards (can't think of the name...starts with an H)....you give them to your kids & they give them to the cps worker or whoever is questioning them...it says something like "I have the right to have a parent or my lawyer present when being questioned. Please call them. I will not answer any questions until they arrive. You can give me food & something to drink."

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:48 pm

righteousbabe,

I can tell from your writings that you are very smart & a capable woman.

Where in TX are you? I am in East Tx.

Some other things you might want to look into job wise as far as working from home....selling on ebay, Amazon, half.com, etc.; working for Live Ops or Alpine Access; phone sex operator......all of which I have done & made money with.

Hope this helps.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:48 pm

anxiousmom wrote:Michael, Are you a CPS worker?

Yes he is. He is also a long time poster of the boards and is also very helpful in giving information so please be kind to him.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Momoffer,

I don't know if your comment was directed specifically at me or just to everyone...but, I surely do not think I wrote anything unkind to Michael & I definately didn't have any unkind intentions.

I could just tell from his writings & knowledge that he was perhaps a CPS worker & was curious & asked.

I GREATLY appreciate any CPS workers that are good, helpful, honest, objective, etc. posting here.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Michael,

I appreciate your taking the time to be of help here.

I do, though, wonder about this comment:

"A Texas CPS worker never goes "Fishing" in Texas. it is illegal for a worker to contact a parent or child without having received a report."

That sounds a little Pollyanna.....Surely you realize that there are *some* CPS workers in the huge entire state of TX that do things they shouldn't do........that comment is like saying no policeman ever do anything wrong, no politician ever does anything wrong, no doctor ever does anything wrong...ad nausiam (sp?).

In any vocation there are some people that do things wrong.

Private schools can disallow CPS workers on campus from talking to students, can they not, as it is private property?

If you don't mind, I would appreciate the reference to this: Thanks!

"If a CPS worker goes to a school to see a child the school CANNOT refuse to allow CPS to see the child. This is based on Texas Law. If you want the reference contact me. "

I appreciate your thoughts on this:

"UNFORTUNATELE the State legislature, during the recent session, ordered CPS to offer more services to cases prior to closing.
If your case is transferred contact the worker daily until he/she gets tired of hearing from you and rushes ordered services to close the case."

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:57 pm

anxiousmom wrote:Momoffer,

I don't know if your comment was directed specifically at me or just to everyone...but, I surely do not think I wrote anything unkind to Michael

Did I say anything of the sort? No I did not.

Michael was here before I got here and there have been issues in the past where people get a burr up their ass because he works for CPS and start tearing into him for being on these boards and blaming him for everything bad that has happened in their experiences.

Never did I say that you did any such thing, I answered your question and added the ending on for those that feel inclined to have the above reaction when they find out.

sarahjones

texas family code section e

Postby sarahjones » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:17 pm

dont know why it has weird formatting and all the [0]'s everywhere but here it is

§ 261.302. CONDUCT OF INVESTIGATION[0]. (a) The
investigation[0] may include:
(1) a visit to the child's[0] home, unless the alleged
abuse[0] or neglect can be confirmed or clearly ruled out without a
home visit; and
(2) an interview[0] with and examination of the subject
child[0], which may include a medical, psychological, or psychiatric
examination.
(b) The interview[0] with and examination of the child[0] may:
(1) be conducted at any reasonable time and place,
including the child's[0] home or the child's[0] school;
(2) include the presence of persons the department or
designated agency determines are necessary; and
(3) include transporting the child[0] for purposes
relating to the interview[0] or investigation[0].
(b-1) Before the department may transport a child[0] as
provided by Subsection (b)(3), the department shall attempt to
notify the parent or other person having custody of the child[0] of the
transport.
(c) The investigation[0] may include an interview[0] with the
child's[0] parents and an interview[0] with and medical, psychological,
or psychiatric examination of any child[0] in the home.
(d) If, before an investigation[0] is completed, the
investigating agency believes that the immediate removal of a child[0]
from the child's[0] home is necessary to protect the child[0] from further
abuse[0] or neglect, the investigating agency shall file a petition or
take other action under Chapter 262 to provide for the temporary
care and protection of the child[0].
(e) An interview[0] with a child[0] conducted by the department
during the investigation[0] stage shall be audiotaped or videotaped.
An interview[0] with a child[0] alleged to be a victim of physical abuse[0]
or sexual abuse[0] conducted by an investigating agency other than the
department shall be audiotaped or videotaped unless the
investigating agency determines that good cause exists for not
audiotaping or videotaping the interview[0] in accordance with rules
of the agency. Good cause may include, but is not limited to, such
considerations as the age of the child[0] and the nature and
seriousness of the allegations under investigation[0]. Nothing in
this subsection shall be construed as prohibiting the investigating
agency from audiotaping or videotaping an interview[0] of a child[0] on
any case for which such audiotaping or videotaping is not required
under this subsection. The fact that the investigating agency
failed to audiotape or videotape an interview[0] is admissible at the
trial of the offense that is the subject of the interview[0].
(f) A person commits an offense if the person is notified of
the time of the transport of a child[0] by the department and the
location from which the transport is initiated and the person is
present at the location when the transport is initiated and
attempts to interfere with the department's investigation[0]. An
offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor. It is an
exception to the application of this subsection that the department
requested the person to be present at the site of the transport.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, § 1, eff. April 20, 1995.
Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 751, § 95, eff. Sept. 1,
1995; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 575, § 13, 14, eff. Sept. 1,
1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1022, § 73, eff. Sept. 1, 1997;
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 268, § 1.21, eff. Sept. 1, 2005.

sarahjones

texas family code section e

Postby sarahjones » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:17 pm

dont know why it has weird formatting and all the [0]'s everywhere but here it is

§ 261.302. CONDUCT OF INVESTIGATION[0]. (a) The
investigation[0] may include:
(1) a visit to the child's[0] home, unless the alleged
abuse[0] or neglect can be confirmed or clearly ruled out without a
home visit; and
(2) an interview[0] with and examination of the subject
child[0], which may include a medical, psychological, or psychiatric
examination.
(b) The interview[0] with and examination of the child[0] may:
(1) be conducted at any reasonable time and place,
including the child's[0] home or the child's[0] school;
(2) include the presence of persons the department or
designated agency determines are necessary; and
(3) include transporting the child[0] for purposes
relating to the interview[0] or investigation[0].
(b-1) Before the department may transport a child[0] as
provided by Subsection (b)(3), the department shall attempt to
notify the parent or other person having custody of the child[0] of the
transport.
(c) The investigation[0] may include an interview[0] with the
child's[0] parents and an interview[0] with and medical, psychological,
or psychiatric examination of any child[0] in the home.
(d) If, before an investigation[0] is completed, the
investigating agency believes that the immediate removal of a child[0]
from the child's[0] home is necessary to protect the child[0] from further
abuse[0] or neglect, the investigating agency shall file a petition or
take other action under Chapter 262 to provide for the temporary
care and protection of the child[0].
(e) An interview[0] with a child[0] conducted by the department
during the investigation[0] stage shall be audiotaped or videotaped.
An interview[0] with a child[0] alleged to be a victim of physical abuse[0]
or sexual abuse[0] conducted by an investigating agency other than the
department shall be audiotaped or videotaped unless the
investigating agency determines that good cause exists for not
audiotaping or videotaping the interview[0] in accordance with rules
of the agency. Good cause may include, but is not limited to, such
considerations as the age of the child[0] and the nature and
seriousness of the allegations under investigation[0]. Nothing in
this subsection shall be construed as prohibiting the investigating
agency from audiotaping or videotaping an interview[0] of a child[0] on
any case for which such audiotaping or videotaping is not required
under this subsection. The fact that the investigating agency
failed to audiotape or videotape an interview[0] is admissible at the
trial of the offense that is the subject of the interview[0].
(f) A person commits an offense if the person is notified of
the time of the transport of a child[0] by the department and the
location from which the transport is initiated and the person is
present at the location when the transport is initiated and
attempts to interfere with the department's investigation[0]. An
offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor. It is an
exception to the application of this subsection that the department
requested the person to be present at the site of the transport.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, § 1, eff. April 20, 1995.
Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 751, § 95, eff. Sept. 1,
1995; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 575, § 13, 14, eff. Sept. 1,
1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1022, § 73, eff. Sept. 1, 1997;
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 268, § 1.21, eff. Sept. 1, 2005.

Return to “CPS Investigations”