Here we go....I never wanted this

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Berek

Here we go....I never wanted this

Postby Berek » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi guys.I'm trying to find out how badly my rts were violated today.
Today at 2pm ish a police officer and CPS showed up at the house.
Last week my son brushed by me as my wife was giving me a hug and ran his arm into my cigarette.He had a burn.Luckily it happened rt beside a allow plant so it was immediately treated.
Well they just discovered this today.They claim my son said he was breaking us up from fighting.My wife and I do not fight.We have the occasional bickering but that is normal.Well the CPS agent questioned me then the cop.The Cop was over the top with me. He was interogating me to the point I felt like I was on trial.I did stay on guard the whole time.But at 2:30 I told them that one of us had to go get him from school.The officer said he weould ok that(nerve).As I was picking up my son the officer was pulling out his meranda card and threatening to arrest my wife if she did not tell the truth about me beating her up.There was no fight.She has no marks and tommorrow they are sending some agent back to see the small burn on his arm and determine if it were done intentionaly. Can they do that?Are they infringing on my rts.I need to know before I take him to school.
Please help
Berek in Florida

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:02 pm

You have a 50/50 chance, of losing your child at this point.
You can file a complaint with the police department, and they can't arrest your wife for telling the truth.
I was threatened by a cop myself over 50 time but he never did arrest me.
And they can arrest a victim they can only ask if they want to press charges.
My kids do the same thing all the time. Run right into a lit cigerrette. Nothing has ever come of it but ashes though. But I can understand the burn.

Reason why I say you have a 50/50 chance is based on the fact that kids say the darnest things. And only see what they want to. And a bad caseworker can tell the difference. I am stuck in this part right now.

Be prepaired. Have your son's burned checked out by a doctor before they come back. And do an abuse examine on him with the same doctor. Chances are doctor will find nothing.

But it will be a clean slate. Either it works and your son remains with you, or they take your child and you can question every mark and report it as abuse. Either way it's protecting your child.

# try to hire an attorny to be present for thier visit. Tell them that you want an attorney present just to make sure they don't take your words out of context. This gives you more time.

Don't allow them to question your child alone if there is no attorney. Childs rights, are the have the right to a parent or an attorney to be present during any questioning.

Last thing you want to have to do is a domestic violance class, here in oklahoma they ae 52 weeks and you don't get your kids til your done. Glad I don't have to do that one. Oh and they make married couples seperate during this, if not for good.

Yep I understand the kinds of fights you have, we have the same kinds of fights. Most violent they get is the occasional door slamming.
Parents spend so much time teaching our kids not to go with strangers or talk to strangers, and no to show your body to strangers. And this is what CPS-DHS is all about.

Workingmom

More Tips

Postby Workingmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:14 pm

If the police, or cps show up at your home...don't let them it unless they have a warrent!

Close the door, but inform them that you are not going to lock it, and state that they do not have permission to enter your home, and that if they choose to anyway, you will be filing agains them for illegal entry. Record it!! Video would be the best, but if you can't, definately tape record it. And just so that you are not breaking any laws, let them know that they are being recorded, and make sure that the recorder is visible at all times.

I wish I knew this tip when cps showed up at my door.

By all means, I do not want to scare you or your wife. But my husband and I are living in separate households because they do not want him around the kids. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Know where you are going to go in case this happens to you.

jaslken

Postby jaslken » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:41 am

One tip of advice is to allow them to see the children. Bring the children to the door and acknowledge that they are safe and not in danger. I would not let them ask any questions except are you okay and are you safe... other than that I do not know what to tell you. I would make sure you tape EVERYTHING... in my case, the judge did not listen to the tapes but I am sure when we sue and it comes out I presented tapes and he refused to listen it will show his bias towards DYFS!!!

Workingmom

Best thing you can do

Postby Workingmom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:08 pm

Anyone will tell you on this site that the VERY BEST THING that you can do is to hire an attorney who has experiance in dealing with cps. Dont go for just any family law attorney, I've already made that mistake. I fired that attorney and hired another one. But the first one was a HUGE WASTE OF NOT ONLY MONEY, BUT OF MY TIME. I budget time like money because I have very little of it to myself.

Anyway, make sure that they know how to fight cps. Best of luck to you and your family.

Workingmom

Best thing you can do

Anyone will tell you on this site that the VERY BEST THING that you can do is to hire an attorney who has experiance in dealing with cps. Dont go for just any family law attorney, I've already made that mistake. I fired that attorney and hired another one. But the first one was a HUGE WASTE OF NOT ONLY MONEY, BUT OF MY TIME. I budget time like money because I have very little of it to myself.

Anyway, make sure that they know how to fight cps. Best of luck to you and your family.

Workingmom

Best thing you can do

Workingmom

Best thing you can do

Postby Workingmom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Berek

Case worker question

Postby Berek » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:22 am

Hello, well we had to take our son yesterday to this place called save a child and get his arm examined and the rest of his body was looked at by there medical people. Then the nurse took him by himself again and questioned him once again , and also telling our son he does not have to tell us anything. This is what our son said. Then i was questioned and asked questions and then we were pretty much allowed to leave. They said the case worker would be calling us, but she never has yet. What does this mean. Why is it taking her so long to contact me? I do not understand that part. They seemed so convinced at the time of questioning that we were guilty right off the bat. Does not make any since at all. Are they up to something?

Please let me know what any of you think ?
thank you

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:44 pm

I wouldmn't be calling the caseworker. Keep them at a far for as long as possible. They will just show up, sommeday. In the meantime just hang out with your child as much as possible. Not that they are going to take your child, but to geer his mind. Don't fight or bicker til after they come back out. Make dentist, doctors appointments, and call his school and schedule meetings. Keep busy and make it all about your child right now. Make plan to visit family.
For some reason DHS looks at this as other eyes. People that can and will report you if you were abusing your child. But in turn they become referances in your favor if and comes of this.
Keep busy and buy a tape recorder.
Chances are they will come back with just threats. Good luck
It sounds like they don't have anything yet, but give it a bit and the parents will screw up. Alot of parents become more in fear of DHS that they do mess up somewhere. Mainly in areas of neglect.
Like I said good luck.
Parents spend so much time teaching our kids not to go with strangers or talk to strangers, and no to show your body to strangers. And this is what CPS-DHS is all about.

Workingmom

He's Right

Postby Workingmom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm

I agree with eyeq. When you buy your tape recorder, take it with you everywhere!! Your wife should have one as well, because you never know when or where they will decide to pop up.

This has proven to be very usful. The last time a caseworker came to interview me, and I pulled out the tape recorder and let him know that I was going to record the conversation, you could tell by the way he was conducting the interview that he was doing so with a lot of caution. I'm sensing that it would have gone a lot differently if I had not been armed with it.

Return to “CPS Investigations”