How do I reunite with my family?

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

salman501

How do I reunite with my family?

Postby salman501 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:32 am

Background: Our son was removed from our home in July(then 11 months) on grounds of child abuse. CPS suspects that I(father) was the perpetrator. We had a settlement conference in Oct, and my wife was given custody back of our child a week ago, as long as I stay out of home. For the past 2 months I have been renting a room. I have been going to all visitations and therapy, and my therapist thinks I am doing great.

Question: CPS presently is supervising my visits, where my wife has to bring our son to a center so I can have visits. How do I get unsupervised visits, followed by overnights and finally move in back home. I know Social Service Agent has the full authority, but what can I do to speed it up. How long will this take?

Please share your advice.

Thanks so much

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:53 pm

salman501

Postby salman501 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I was looking for more real life experiences.

cambreenellie

Postby cambreenellie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:40 pm

Salman, please don't be discouraged with anything as I say as every case is different.

My children were taken from me in April 2008. Just today after 6 months I was finally granted unsupervised visits. My visits started at 2 hours a week and then 3 hours a week which were 1 hour visits 3 days a week. My time eventually increased to 6 hours a week then 9. Now I'm up to 6 days a week and they will now be unsupervised.

Basically, they go step by step and if everything goes okay they continually add more time. The part that sucks is they take to much time in between steps in my opinion.

gideonmacleish

Postby gideonmacleish » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:27 am

Salman,

You're being targetted by their "divide and conquer" tactics. In CPS' eyes, a father that works to support his family is ALWAYS a bad thing.

In our recent encounter with CPS, our daughter broke her arm on the playground while I was at work. They investigated because we went in the following day (I returned home at 11:30 pm, my daughter was already asleep, and she thought she had only pulled something). When we got the paperwork back absolving us of any wrongdoing, they listed the charges that were investigated. On the sheet absolving me, they had all of the charges listed on my wife's, as well as "Emotional/verbal abuse".

The question I automatically had was "WHERE did that come from?" Well, it's OBVIOUS where that came from. CPS made it up. Because we are a single income family and my wife is a stay at home mother, we automatically fall under suspicion.

CPS wants families to divorce. I have not seen a single CPS case involving a two parent family where CPS was not hard at work making the husband look like an abuser to encourage divorce.

So, to make a long story short, the truth is, they don't want you back in your home. If you return, they will be back. This will probably apply until your kids turn 18. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've seen it too often. It's a repeating pattern.

salman501

Postby salman501 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:27 am

I kind of suspected this pattern. I will fight it to the end. I am not giving in to their tactics.

Please keep all the responses coming. It helps to understand how widespread the problem is.

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:14 am

Here is an example of how everything can be twisted against you:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/ ... 402041.pdf

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:29 am

Gideon is so right about the divide and conquer thing.
Do not let them do this.
You have to stay strong and united in all that you do.

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Sadly I find this statement to be true. Emotional abuse is a title they stick on a case when they don't have anything else ..why ... it can't be proven or disproven. Also we too are a single income family. The socail worker flat out told my daughter 12 at the time she didn't like coming to the house because her step father had anger management issue. This can be disproven by therapist they sent him to, and in home services they provided. They even accused him of dv and I was sitting there in a pair of shorts and tank top with no bruises to be found. That is male bashing at its best. They like to divide a family they like homes headed by single females.

gideonmacleish wrote:Salman,

You're being targetted by their "divide and conquer" tactics. In CPS' eyes, a father that works to support his family is ALWAYS a bad thing.

In our recent encounter with CPS, our daughter broke her arm on the playground while I was at work. They investigated because we went in the following day (I returned home at 11:30 pm, my daughter was already asleep, and she thought she had only pulled something). When we got the paperwork back absolving us of any wrongdoing, they listed the charges that were investigated. On the sheet absolving me, they had all of the charges listed on my wife's, as well as "Emotional/verbal abuse".

The question I automatically had was "WHERE did that come from?" Well, it's OBVIOUS where that came from. CPS made it up. Because we are a single income family and my wife is a stay at home mother, we automatically fall under suspicion.

CPS wants families to divorce. I have not seen a single CPS case involving a two parent family where CPS was not hard at work making the husband look like an abuser to encourage divorce.

So, to make a long story short, the truth is, they don't want you back in your home. If you return, they will be back. This will probably apply until your kids turn 18. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've seen it too often. It's a repeating pattern.

salman501

Postby salman501 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Thank you all for the responses

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:12 am

salman51:
They're keeping you from your family based
on suspicion only? Your parental rights are
not terminated are they?

You get only supervised visits?

What did they use for the basis for all of this?

Did somebody on YOUR side advise you
to move out or did you submit to demands
from the caseworkers?

This is pretty severe if they only have suspicion.

Did you "stipulate" or what?

Did you think stipulation was a tiny thing?

salman501

Postby salman501 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 am

Greegor,

You are right, they are keeping me away from home on basis of suspicion. Our parental rights are not terminated. My son is back with my wife, and I am in the process of reunification.

I am now on 1 hr unsupervised visits and 2 hr supervised visits per week. My lawyer advised me to move out, so my son can return to my wife sooner, and then I can reunify. So I moved out. CPS never asked me to move out.

jaslken

Postby jaslken » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Unfortunately that is what happens in every case I see where 2 parents are in the home.
My husband was "forced" out of the home. My daughter was removed and she is still not home. Now the new charge is "emotional neglect" to keep her out of the home. The divide and conquer is actually with my daughter and I. She wants to come home then she doesn't. It is a horrible horrible ordeal until the time limit runs out then they can go for termination...

beajus

Postby beajus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:49 am

My hubby was also forced out of the home with the promise that they would give ME the kids back as long as he wasn't there.

Whle they did really do that... it was awful, it was still a year after that before they closed the case and I could let him move home, and that was Sept. 16th of this year and guess what? Last friday they came to tell us they were opening a new investigation...

I'm sooo done with it, they will never leave us alone....

Return to “CPS Investigations”