Court Appointed lawyer fees

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

salman501

Court Appointed lawyer fees

Postby salman501 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 pm

My wife has a court appointed lawyer. We had 2 settlement conferences, and now have a 6 month review. We haven't received any bill as of yet, it has been over 3 months. Are court appointed lawyers free, or do they bill towards the end of the case?

Also I wanted to know, if there are any other court fees that we might be asked to pay?

I really dont know much how court operates and charge for expenses.

Any information will be highly valuable

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 am

We paid for our own lawyer but I will tell you we had no expences beyon that for court fees.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Court appointed attorneys are free. Otherwise if you had more money they would expect you to hire your own. And since CPS is bringing the issue to court, they'll pay the fees, not you.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

searcher

Postby searcher » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 am

I have a public defender (I don't know if this is the same as a court appointed attorney). I was told on the day of the first hearing that I will have to pay a fee (to be determined based on how long it goes on and how much he does for me). The figure of $50 is one that I remember. I was told that I would receive a bill after the case is closed.

HTH.

Return to “CPS Investigations”