baby ripped from parents at hosp by DHS

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

prayforus

baby ripped from parents at hosp by DHS

Postby prayforus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 pm

My niece's five month old baby was taken from her by social services today at Children's hospital (really quick!!) and we are all wondering how in this day and age, this could happen? I can't believe they can take a baby from their parents without a judge's order??!!!

From the beginning..........the father tripped in the kitchen and dropped the baby whom is 5 months old. They rushed her to the hospital and she had a bump on the back of her head. The hospital in Mt Clemens x-rayed her and DID NOT find any fracture in her femur and she was then transferred Savanna to Children's hospital in Detroit and that's when things got creepy. The people that worked there treated the parents like they abused their baby. They x-rayed her again and they said they found a small fracture on her femur and said it could not have happened in the fall. (how would they know if they were not there?) But then they said they would have to x-ray her again in 5 days to see if it's a fracture or a chip in the bone. Some drs. said the baby was in good perfect health. And could take their baby home soon.

The DHS said that they could not take the baby home, so they came into the room where the whole family was and took the baby from them and put the baby in foster care. Kathy and her husband Randal have no idea where the baby is. Both parents do not drink nor do drugs.

The mother and her sister were standing in some doorway where they could hear the workers talking and their ears picked up when they heard the word "Savanna." They were discussing the baby as one looked at her x-ray and one girl said to the other one (they did not see Carol or Kathy standing there!!!) "Well, we got two termination of parental rights taken away today, lets see if we can make seven by by Friday!" And the male in the room said, "oh, that's so sad!" And the girls started laughing!!! My niece and her sister then made their presence known and demanded their names! The two girls were screaming at them that they don't have to tell them anything! etc. Now mind you this is a huge hospital, so what are the odds to have Savanna's x-ray out, and being all proud that they have taken another baby away from it's parents?

The parents stayed at the hospital for three days, going home only to shower and rush back. my niece is twenty and her husband is twenty one, they live with his parents as the father lost his job a few months back. They love their baby and would never do a anything to hurt her. She is a most beautiful baby and Kathy thinks they want to steal her. My poor niece hasn't ate in three days and looks so sick. The father is wracked with guilt as he is the one who tripped that started this whole nightmare. He is a good husband and father.

Tomorrow they are to go in front of a judge to see who is going to get custody of the baby. I don't get how they can take her away from her parents in the first place!! They give them no time to get a lawyer as they have a meeting at 9:00 am and then have to go in front of the judge at 1:00. A baby's outcome is on the line with no time to get council!!!. Can this be happening? Can they take a baby away from a married couple who love their child and just had one freak accident?

If you have heard of this happening to anyone else please advise as this is truly a nightmare. And if you pray, please pray for my niece to get her baby back. Please advise.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Pray, I'm sorry, I just really saw your post. How did court go?

What state are you in (forgive me if you have already mentioned this)

Did your niece have an atty at the hearing?

They CAN take the baby but that doesn't mean that they can keep the baby.

But these cases are difficult.
Stay strong and stand by your family -God knows CPS will try to tear you apart. This can be won if you stand together and proceed using your wits and the law.

Stay strong.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 pm

prayforus wrote:

"The mother and her sister were standing in some doorway where they could hear the workers talking and their ears picked up when they heard the word "Savanna." They were discussing the baby as one looked at her x-ray and one girl said to the other one (they did not see Carol or Kathy standing there!!!) "Well, we got two termination of parental rights taken away today, lets see if we can make seven by by Friday!" And the male in the room said, "oh, that's so sad!" And the girls started laughing!!!"

What profession were the people saying this in? Were they with the hospital--nurses, etc.---or were they with CPS?

Their statements are very alarming & sickening!

Your family needs to make sure the court knows of this conversation. Since TWO people heard it, I think it may be submissable & not considered here-say, but I don't know for sure.

Please let us know how court went.

Missingher

Postby Missingher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:32 am

She should also request a jury to be present AND/or a court reporter that way "real" people can hear this verses the ones that will lie through their teeth.

They are not so inclined to lie if a court reporter is in there documenting every word... that could be proven as lies.

I wished I would have known I had these options when I walked in those doors...and then I wouldnt be where I am today...NOR would my sweet precious child.

Take advantage of what of what is truly offered to as in your rights.... it WILL pay off.
They do not want you to know what your true options are...

Good luck and keep us posted because we DO care.

prayforus

it gets worse today

Postby prayforus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:35 pm

First off, I want to thank everyone for answering my posts with good advise and prayer. They have not had their baby for 3 weeks. The foster mother took the baby to a doc for another xray on her leg for another opinion and then took Savannah to another Dr. whom is saying that she's been sexually abused!!! OMG. This is a nightmare. It is so NOT true!! Please advise. Gypsy

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:20 pm

what the heck, is this foster mother doctor shopping until she gets one that agrees that the baby has something wrong?????!!

I have an relative who finds illnesses and then decides that she has them, and goes doctor shopping (skipping from dr to dr) until she finally gets one that gives her some sort of diagnosis.

What was the need for the 3rd opinion on the leg??

Did they decide if it was a fracture or a chip on the bone yet?

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 am

Who has legal custody?

Can the foster mother take the baby to doctors without parents' permission?

Check the laws in your state.

Have your niece's atty look into this.

In many states, depending upon the situation, foster parents and/or CPS does not have leave to take the child to a doctor without parental consent.

prayforus

the x-ray

Postby prayforus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:18 am

Re: X-ray. The 1st hosp. (county) they took her to xrayed her everywhere and found nothing. They sent her to Childrens hosp in Det. to take care of the bump on her head. They x rayed her AGAIN and some Dr. said there was a small fracture on her leg. Other Dr. said it could be a spur another said he could not see nothing. So CPS came along and said there was no way this could happen when Savanna fell. And thus accused the parents of child abuse. BTW nothing in the sex body parts was wrong with the baby. (how do u tell?)

Momoffor wrote:what the heck, is this foster mother doctor shopping until she gets one that agrees that the baby has something wrong?????!!

I have an relative who finds illnesses and then decides that she has them, and goes doctor shopping (skipping from dr to dr) until she finally gets one that gives her some sort of diagnosis.

What was the need for the 3rd opinion on the leg??

Did they decide if it was a fracture or a chip on the bone yet?

prayforus

legal custody and sexual abuse

Postby prayforus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:24 am

As far as legal custody goes the judge at the pre-trial (or the 1st time they went to court) said to the CPS to hurry and place this child within the family. Well, now everyone Kathy is talking to is passing the buck and saying it's not their job to do!!! So right now I think the CPS has legal custody!!

Where do I check to see if the fostor mother can take the baby to the Drs. CPS told Kathy that she could not take her so someone has to?? I don't know this is all to confusing and all so wrong.
We live in Michigan.

MaggieC wrote:Who has legal custody?

In many states, depending upon the situation, foster parents and/or CPS does not have leave to take the child to a doctor without parental consent.

prayforus

Sneaky CPS

Postby prayforus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:32 am

Kathy's CPS worker that dealt with the x-ay abuse told Kathy that she transferred her case to another worker a couple of weeks ago. Kathy gets a call from this same CPS worker telling her to come to her office as she has something to tell her and that it's no big deal. Kathy and Randall run down there pronto (alone)and thats when she tells them that there are aligations on them for sexual child abuse. Kathy and Randall both started crying and Randall stated if someone did this it is not them and they are going to be sorry!! The CPS worker says since this is a new alligation that she will be again handling her case. (she's a B) Kathy went home and called all 3 lawyers and one was in Florida and bitched her out for calling and the other 2 said they had other cases and no time to talk to her!!

We are tring to start up a fund for a good lawyer as we think that is the only way we are going to get that baby back. Does anyone here know of how to go about this legally? Thank you very much.

prayforus

forgot this part

Postby prayforus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am

When my niece and her husband first went to court and the CPS came up with their report. And btw they lied about Savannah because they were saying she had bruises (not) and that something was wrong with her arm. (not) etc....... That floored our side!! But heres what happened. The judge had just heard a similar case and told the CPA workers and wanted to talk to them after he heard Kathy's case. Then he quickly asked if anyone in the family had Indian blood!!!! Well, after the case Kathy was in the courtroom talking to her lawyer and Kathy could hear the judge bawling the CPS workers out but could not hear what was being said. (Darn.)

MaggieC wrote:Who has legal custody?

Return to “CPS Investigations”