FIGHTING DSS Again!!!WHAT SHOULD I DO

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

oskk4

FIGHTING DSS Again!!!WHAT SHOULD I DO

Postby oskk4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 am

Hi everyone - I am new to this forum and my question is not regarding CPS its regarding DSS daycare so I hope someone can give their insight. I receive daycare benefits for my child while I am working, I live in queens, NY. I was and still am being investigated by DSS for reason that is not know to me. I have had two investigators contacted me and visited me at my home and at my job. When I learned that I was being investigated is was the same day I was told that my my child cannot return to daycare because my benefits was terminated. I was not given any prior notice of the discontinuance and when I contacted my case worker and inquire the reason, no one is able to give me an answer. I know the law required me to receive prior notice, which I did not received. Based on the conversation with my case worker it seem as if I was being investigated because of employment that they could not verified. I filed a fair hearing date and requested to see my case file and or receive copies of the investigator notes before the hearing date. This was sent via letter and in person at DSS office. The investigator needed to meet me at my job which we met and I was interviewed. I was out of work for a few days because my child would not return to school and after the interview with the investigator my benefits was reinstated. I still kept the hearing date because i wanted to know why I was being investigated and to see if the agency have incorrect and misinformation in my file. I provided everything requested, proof of income, address, utility, etc. I had one investigator visited my home already and another tried to visit me to conduct a home visit, I advise that a home visit was already conducted and whats the reason for another. When I went for my hearing, I was told that the agency is withdrawing from the case because they have verified my employment and home address. This ended that case, now a few days later I received a discontinuance letter to terminate my benefits for refusal to do a home visit which I never refused. I really do not know what I am being investigated for as I was never given the chance to view my files. I have not lied on my application and I do not have any other income anywhere whatsoever. My home is in foreclosure and I am barely surviving, because of all the calls to my job from DSS, I feel that is the reason my employer has demoted me because of taking time off to deal with this and I am not certain my job is secure anymore. I filed for another fair hearing and awaiting the date but I would like to know what information is in my file or how I can view my file, as I have inquired numerous time and now one seem to know where to steer me. I was also told by the investigator that I cant get access to my file. WHAT SHOULD I DO

Gdebski35

Re: FIGHTING DSS Again!!!WHAT SHOULD I DO

Postby Gdebski35 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:08 am

As soon as an investigator shows up at your door and you answer it the first and only question to them should be exactly your question " I'd like to help , would you please tell me what you are investigating... what is the complaint against me? and I can be of further assistance." Okay i understand that wasnt done. Seems like someone told them you were not working or something like that and that has cleared up. I too figured if they came to my home once, what is the reason for another visit. I have since been told it is to have a second look at the child. Not really of your home environment, unless your home was dirty or something like that and they wanted to see if you had cleaned it up since last time.

Okay to your second ?. Every state has a Freedom of information act. Look up your state and figure out the name of your states ACT. THen send a letter to your worker or their supervisor or both with the name of the act and requesting your records. Put in you will be expecting the information within 10 days (or whatever your states required timeline is). Then send the letter. You can then call the worker and tell her/him that you have sent it to speed up the process. You have filed for a second hearing. Most workers do not like going to these hearings and would like to clear things up prior to so give the worker a call and ask. What u are being investigated for. Maybe one was for the benefits and the other is for DCF like an automated generated referral because of the first investigation?? not sure just my thoughts.
Its always a good idea to ask the investigator as they are at your door so that you do not give out information that is not relevant which may lead to your words getting twisted and lead to
having your child taken away or service plans offered (safety plans). Hope u get this all cleared up.

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”