Newcomer

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Whomperdoodle

Newcomer

Postby Whomperdoodle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:41 am

I have three roles with respect to CPS.

One, I have a friend who fought and lost a long CPS battle. I want to learn, from a parent's perspective, ways to support her in her ongoing struggle.

Two, I have some experience working a juvenile docket. While I of course can't give legal advice, I may be able to direct people to resources.

Three, I am a licensed foster parent about to accept my first placement, and I want to support the parents' efforts to reunify. I hope to learn how I might be helpful.

I don't expect to be welcomed with open arms, but I hope we can learn from one another and have some productive conversations.

-Whomper

Eljay

Re: Newcomer

Postby Eljay » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 am

Whomperdoodle wrote:I have three roles with respect to CPS.

One, I have a friend who fought and lost a long CPS battle. I want to learn, from a parent's perspective, ways to support her in her ongoing struggle.

Two, I have some experience working a juvenile docket. While I of course can't give legal advice, I may be able to direct people to resources.

Three, I am a licensed foster parent about to accept my first placement, and I want to support the parents' efforts to reunify. I hope to learn how I might be helpful.

I don't expect to be welcomed with open arms, but I hope we can learn from one another and have some productive conversations.

-Whomper

On the contrary, I expect you will be welcomed! Social/case workers haven't gotten the best welcome here, but they run the gamut from bleeding heart do-gooders to narcissistic power-hungry control freaks. It's the freaks who brag about their power who don't last long here.

Foster parents run the gamut too.... some who do it only for the money and treat the kids like a paycheck, some who see it as a way to pre-shop babies/kids for the ones they want to adopt, and others who see their role as intended... a safe haven for kids who don't have a safe home/family at the moment. Every kid is there for a different reason, from parents being killed in a murder-suicide, being arrested, single parent in the hospital, to mild things like an unexplained bruise or completely false allegation. Whatever the reason, as long as you don't sabotage their parents in any way, shape or form, that is what is most important. Even if the parents abused their kids, the kids will still love them and likely return to them, if not while minors, then when they age out. Affirm that mom & dad need help (whether it be from a drug treatment program or a good lawyer to fight bogus allegations) and don't pass any judgment. They will eventually learn enough and make their own judgment.

It's good to have someone with experience on how the system works, regardless of which side of the table you sit. Welcome!!!!
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Whomperdoodle

Postby Whomperdoodle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks, ElJay. That's exactly how I envision my role -- and, for what it's worth, it's exactly what we were told over and over in training. Be a soft place for a kid to land. No matter the circumstances, being away from your family is rotten and rough. I believe some familes do need intervention to get back on a healthy path, and some don't, but it's not my job to judge or try to make those determinations -- it's my job to care for the kid(s) until they can go home.

mamalion

Postby mamalion » Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Ok now I get it.

Most of the people I've encountered who are foster parents think CPS is perfect, which is sad. I hope you will see both sides from reading here

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”