my story

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

mimirose

my story

Postby mimirose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:38 am

I have a current open case with cps in AZ, it’s been 9 months and a complete disaster. My ex-husband had full custody of our 2 year old boy. When I learned that ex had been in jail for a week on aggravated assault charges against his gf I tried to get my child back from his gf and she refused. I went through all the legal channels, court, police, even filed a concern with dcs. Nothing. Finally dcs granted me and roommate a temporary supervision order. Four days later with ex still in jail, my son was removed from my supervision based on a report made about major concerns about my mental health. The major concerns were brought forward by my ex’s gf based on my history with depression and self harm he reported no concerns during our TDM.

[background] I do have a mental health history; I have been in counseling by my own free will previously to our case. A year before our case began my 8 year marriage ended; domestic violence emotional and physical abuse from my ex, even after our separation and divorce it didn’t stop. He stalked, spied, and invaded my privacy during our separation, I called the police when I discovered a gps tracking device in my vehicle and he got arrested. I didn’t have enough evidence to keep the case open. The last thing he said to me was that he was going to destroy me because I don’t deserve to be happy.

Our case is neglect because we have failed to provide proper supervision based on my mental health and his anger management problems. The plan is family reunification once we have completed our services; individual counseling, drug testing, parent aide services, and psychological evaluations. In addition he must also do anger management counseling. My case began the last week of September 2015 I was not set up with services until February 2016, some services. It has been 9 months and I have gone through three supervisors, three case workers, and two assistant program directors. My current case worker just got assigned to me 3 weeks ago, he has been out sick for a month, there are temporary workers helping with his case load, I have left messages, no responses. I have been proactive in my case since day 1, if I hadn’t called daily to try to get a hold of someone I probably would not have services at all, since every time I did get a hold of someone they told me they were submitting referrals because they couldn’t find anything. You all probably know that 24hour call back policy is not real! Three weeks ago I had a hearing; two days prior I get a call from the ongoing supervisor proposing to extend my case in order to finish my services out. She is great, very positive saying that she will do her best to dismiss this case and even get me set up with paperwork for me to take to family court and get custody of my son back. That it should be easy! She even wants to drop the need for a psych eval for me! I am thrilled. I was thrilled. On my second to last required counseling session, I walk in, my counselor immediately requested I show her my arms, I’m wearing a short sleeved t-shirt, I stick my arms out in front of her, palms down, palms up. I was puzzled. My counselor addressed concerns brought up by ex’s attorney and GAL about my mental health and self harming, the ongoing supervisor relayed this to my counselor. In sessions we have addressed this previously as it is something I disclosed and part of my goals to be addressed. There is concern that I am self harming currently and that is the reason I wear long sleeves to court. I have desperately tried to contact anyone on my case to learn about these concerns. Is someone accusing me falsely? I have finished my required counseling hours; counselor has closed me out without any concerns or need to return for additional hours. I finally spoke to the ongoing supervisor yesterday, mumble jumble didn’t clarify the concerns, couldn’t find the referral for my psych eval (yest that has not been done), but after 9 months I will finally have a dcs worker come to my home! Parent Aide hasn’t been able to provide home services because the department denied it until I get a pyschc eval, then they changed their minds and scratched that, now they just need a home inspection. This particular decision took them 4 months to take effect.

I have been given the round around for months. Many “I’ll look into it” when my attorney or I confront them in regards to my lack of services. Lack of communication is unreal, as is lack of clarification! I literally have to start over with every single worker, I don’t think they read the file. Last case worker literally asked me right before court if I had a job, home, car etc and where do I live? Lol.

My son is 3 years old. He is depressed and confused. He is not getting any type of services. As a victim of DV I feel proud for getting out and for my recovery thus far, many will never know how devastating it can be. As a mom I feel like I am failing my child. I’ve done everything I can possibly think of. I have a mental health history because I was abused, I sought help, I got better. I feel like that part doesn’t matter to anyone. I spend 4 hours a week with my little guy, happiest part of my day, but I am utterly heartbroken.

LindaJM

Re: my story

Postby LindaJM » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 pm

I think this might turn out good for you. I am very surprised the caseworkers would leave your son in a home with domestic violence - that's usually something they'll take a child away for, even if it doesn't directly harm the child.

The fact that they're doing a home visit sounds to me like they're seriously considering placing your child back with you.

That, however, doesn't take care of the problem of your toxic ex and the accusations he will probably keep making against you so long as you have a child in common. Maybe you should do some research on co-parenting. There's a book called "Co-parenting With a Jerk" - ever heard of it?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”