Paying Child Support when Children are in Foster Care

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

MaggieC

Paying Child Support when Children are in Foster Care

Postby MaggieC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:38 pm

I am not sure where to post this question so I'm posting it here.

I am curious to know how many parents had to pay child support to the state while their children were in foster care.

Thanks.

Maggie

Marina

Postby Marina » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:37 pm

The caseworkers are supposed to tell the court if paying child support will interfere with family reunification. I have never heard of any of them doing this.

I think sometimes the judge will give a continuance until after the premanency hearing to see where the child is going to end up - in foster care or returned home.

Your court-appointed lawyer does not have to come to the child support hearing. They may come as a curtesy.

Someone I know just didn't show up at the first hearing but that is not a good option. She claimed she didn't get the court notice in the mail because she had to move. I think there was a "capias" out on her because of it. At the second hearing which she attended she said her attorney couldn't make it to court on that day. She had called the court-ordered attorney and he wasn't available. At the third hearing, she said she didn't have a job so the judge didn't order any child support that day. She told the judge she didn't think it was fair that they didn't go after her absent husband. But the issue is always subject to court review periodically because child support enforcement is always on the ball looking for you.

yellernboyz

Postby yellernboyz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 am

my court date for termination is coming up in a couple weeks, and I just got a bill from the state for the last year for child support while the kids were in foster care.

kali

Postby kali » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:57 am

yes i paid quite a bit to those assholes - they took my tax refund and garnished my wages
DWELL IN POSSIBILITY

trappedinwreakage

Postby trappedinwreakage » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:26 am

Yes, we were imeadiately called down for a income review, papers came in mail first. Went down, came to an amount, were asked when we would pay it, gave a date of two weeks and the very next pay checks we recieved had already been garnished. I was furious that they went to our employers, when I went down with our own money that week I looked at the bullit proof glass and steel caging and thought to myself.... go figure

So gee, I wonder if garnished wage records are kept by employers, spred out further in credit reports, anything to make people look bad you know, its all part of the spanking process, dehumanization at it finest.

Ours was a straight 19% or what ever it is, its standard for NYS I believe. Of course it doesnt cost the average frugal family that much to raise a child, including clothing, Christmas and birthday presents, and keep them clear of the influence of other children found in these homes. Its all part of the spanking and family improvement process... ya know

Oh... did I forget to mention the "show us the money" angle.........

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:39 pm

One is hit hard in NY for child support and in terms of two parents having to pay support when a child is kidnapped into foster care -the price is high. (generally 17 pct but with the income of two non custodial parents -certainly it could have risen to 19 pct)

More money for CPS. They double dip, you know. They receive child support from the parents AND federal and state funding.
All the money you paid does not go to your daughter-it simply goes to the "state".

trappedinwreakage

Postby trappedinwreakage » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:54 pm

yes 17% is correct, that was the number my memory was searching for. That was 17% of both incomes or 17% combined, however you want to look at it.

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:53 pm

17% no I pay way more than that way off, way way off. I pay my entire paychack well 99%. I got an .08 paycheck last time. How is that suppose to pay my rent and bills. I just got evicted from my house and have to move in with friends for a little bit. Over the past year I have lost everything in pawn, furniture auctions, and moving. I have lost alot of weight because I can't afford food, and they just keep dragging stuff out. When my husband gets a paycheck that goes to pay the attorney and what bills we can but it's not enough. They take over 50% of his paycheck. And put us over $300,000 in debt with medical bills. We pay this, so you think that our kids would have the things they need such as eye glasses and shoes and not have to work for it. They take all this money I am wondering were is it going. NOT TO MY KIDS.
Parents spend so much time teaching our kids not to go with strangers or talk to strangers, and no to show your body to strangers. And this is what CPS-DHS is all about.

trappedinwreakage

Postby trappedinwreakage » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am

well that is not just for current child support then, must be more to the story

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:23 pm

georgia child support statue states that child support for child in foster care can not exceed the per diem issued for the care of the child. in most cases that is betweek $700-800 per month.

eye, i would look into this. i mean i would contact one of those child support help centers, pretend to be a parent asking for child support and have them explain it to me. they can tell you the law.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Eye, I second Trapped and Katgot -
Look into this, something is wrong. Make them accountable for every dime taken from you.

Maggie

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:17 am

I am thinking they are probably getting you for back child support as well. Perhaps more than just that.

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 pm

We got assinged a casa. And I pointed it out to her. She saw my .08 paychecks and my husbands ganishments is more than 75%. We don't owe any bsck child support they garnished our taxes for $8000 when we filed 3 years all at once. Said we owe it. Nothing makes since. Why are they asking us to pay for clothes and shoes on top of everything.?
Parents spend so much time teaching our kids not to go with strangers or talk to strangers, and no to show your body to strangers. And this is what CPS-DHS is all about.

kelz03103

let me get this straight

Postby kelz03103 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:16 am

you have to pay for someone else to steal your kids, so they get grants and federal funding, tax dollars , incentives,ect,, and let me get this straight , a person who is taking in children ,foster kids, aren't they supposed to be able to financially take care of those children, so say a foster mom can't afford school clothes and shoes for school, so she waits for the parents child support check, if we did that with our own kids they would charge us with that. of course theres no way to fight it , cause I would want to tell them, you want other peoples kids so bad , YOU pay for them, but of course it doesn't work that way.my ex is supposed to pay me child support for 2 children, I am lucky if I get any, the last check was $9.00. I called and asked if it was a mistake, and was told by the child support office"he is unable to forfill his obligations right now" this whole thing infuriates me ~Kelz~

momomma

Postby momomma » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:53 pm

a person who is taking in children ,foster kids, aren't they supposed to be able to financially take care of those children,

I don't know about other states, I can only speak for my own, but we absolutely have to prove we can financially support ourselves without reimbursement from the state.

I, and several other foster parents I know, have more expenses for the children then we are "reimbursed" for.

I don't know what the state is doing with all that money but it's NOT going to foster parents or the children.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:28 am

I agree with you. I don't think it is going to the children or foster families either.

What a racket.

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:32 pm

They won't justify the money. We pay $2800 when my kids only get $200 a piece. They are now taking my part from my husband too. I only get $.08 paychecks and my husband gets very little. We though about cancling our health insuranse but we can't. The foster parents use it and we are stuck with the co-pays that we can't pay. When they established child support they submitted it wrong and we don't have the extra money to fight it. They know this and won't change it. They have me working 80 hours a week at min. wage as apose to 3 hours a week. And have my hubby making 88,000 a year as apose to 44,000. THey have us as home owners as apose to renters.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 am

Try to challange this pro se. I think you can handle this. Child support works by formula. Get your exhibits together-time cards, pay stubs etc and submit and challange it in court as a pro se petitioner.

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Okay they are fixing it now.

Tis is what thy did.

1. didn't take into concideratin tht my husbandalready pays child support for another child that he had before we were married.

2. ordered him to pay child support for child tha is not his.

3. and doubled his income.

4. and didn't concider that we pay all the medical for all the kids.

Our attorney is fixing it now.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:30 pm

eye-
You see, they do what they do because they can. They let it go until it is challanged. Good for you for challanging it.

momomma

Postby momomma » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:46 pm

We don't owe any bsck child support they garnished our taxes for $8000 when we filed 3 years all at once. Said we owe it.

You mention filing 3 years at one time? Could some of your garnishment be for income tax and penalities for not filing each year.

shayandmadi'smom

Child support and foster care

Postby shayandmadi'smom » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:48 pm

In Wisconsin automatically they take 17% for one child doesn't matter if you are married or not you both have to pay the 17%. But in my case I have my husband and my child plus my oldest so they make you pay 22% automatically for 2 children. It makes no sense to me. My husband and I have one child together so instead of just taking 17% they make him pay 17% and I have our child together and one other so they are trying to make me pay 22%. I am currently applying for disability so they are waiting(harrassing me) for my determination from disability. Plus my oldest is not my husband's so my ex pays in a different state for her also. My mom has guardianship of both kids so she gets 17% plus my half of 11% -once disability comes through for one of my children plus she gets another 11% and whatever my ex has to pay I think it is 400 a month. I stood up for myself in court and said excuse me you are double dipping. I tell them what I think. My mom is getting a pretty penny for stealing my kids from me. They will all have to answer to God in the end.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:07 am

momomma,

If you do NOT owe any income tax money & are only due a refund, you do NOT have to file within the normal frame time.....the IRS doesn't care if you file to GET your refund...they only care if you don't file when you OWE money.

If you do not owe any money, you have three years to file to get your refund...trust me, I know this from experience. My exhusband & I were always behind. We totally missed out on one year's refund of several thousand dollars because he did not file it in time. He always did the taxes. I kept up accurately with how long we had before we had to file.....I told him the years he needed to do in that situation, but he missed one year & did one year ahead instead.

You do NOT get penalized for using the three year delay in fileing when you are only due money back.

Even when you owe money, you can file an extension to get more time to file.

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”