Page 1 of 1

How much Child support I should expect to pay?

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:22 pm
by salman501
Today I got a letter from County letting me know that they have requested data from my employer for child support payment.

Our son was removed from us and placed with my wife's father and stepmom( relatives) for total of 75 days. We are in San Diego California.

Would we pay foster care charges or kinship charges and how much money should I expect to pay for it?

Remember this was my wife's father who cared for our child for about 75 days(2.5 months).

Now my son is back with my wife and I have to move out of home, so I am renting a place

Thank you very much.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:34 pm
by katgotsteve
i would contact them.

when i lost my kids for 34 days, i did not have to pay any child support during that time. the case my have been pursued by your inlaws, so basically it is null now.
you may have to call and find out. if anyone should pursue child support now, it should be your wife as the custodial parent.

the request, was it addressed to you or your employer. i would call monday morning and find out about it.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:34 pm
by salman501
Thank you so much for the response. The letter was just notification telling me they have requested income information from my company. Me and my in laws didnt get along too well. I too think they might have pushed for child support.

BTW I am making all payments for my wife and son also. I love them both to pieces and will gladly pay for any/all of their needs

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:49 pm
by Marina
If the children's caretaker, whether the grandparents or mother, is collecting any kind of public welfare, then the agency has to go after child support.

This includes food stamps, TANF, foster care, and I imagine Medicaid.

I know of a father who agreed to pay child support directly to the mother, and she agreed she would get off of TANF. He paid her each month, and had checks to prove it.

Meanwhile she re-applied for benefits and gave a false address for the father. It wasn't until after he got a job that took out taxes out that Child Support caught up with him.

He got sent to jail and they let him out on work release. This resulted in him paying double child support.

The mother was double-dipping.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:57 pm
by salman501
Thanks Marina,

So how much should I expect to pay is the question. Time in my in-laws possession was exact 75 days. Do I get to tell this to Child Support Agency, so as not to get overcharged? My father in law hates me. This is an understatement by the way

Anybody got a clue, what the estimation would be for 75 days?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:14 am
by Momoffor
it would depend on your income. If it is for your wife and son, it would depend on your income and if you are already paying court ordered child support.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:07 am
by salman501
Court hasn't ordered me to pay child support. On the letter it states, custodial parent= my son's grandfather. The custody changed on Oct 2 to my wife, so it is obviously either an old letter or child's grandfather has claimed some support. What you think?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 am
by Marina
Don't pay anything unless it is court-ordered.

Go to your govt. website and do a search for "child support."

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:52 am
by gideonmacleish

I'm going to encourage you to contact the John Birch Society and tell them your story. Your family was forced to separate, which goes against their stated goal of family reunification.

This is all too common, and the John Birch Society has been working to expose it. They may have an interest in covering your story.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 pm
by salman501
I will contact the Child Support Office tomorrow. I wonder if this is retroactive payment for caring for my son for 75 days. Maybe they took welfare or something...

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:53 am
by salman501
Turn out that the grandfather was receiving Child Welfare behind the back. He is a fraudulent guy, so I want to make sure he doesn't continue to receive welfare behind our back, as the custody was removed from him as of Oct 2nd.

I have called Social Worker and left them a message also. What should I be doing?


Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 am
by salman501
Can anyone advise me what I should do now? I don't think it is right for maternal grandfather to collect Child Welfare while parents are providing with diapers, wipes, toys and money for clothes etc.

Can I go after him for this? Would county still make me pay child support?

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:49 pm
by LindaJM
Salman, if the grandparents don't have custody, there's no way they can get ongoing child support. I don't know the laws in your state but the county might still try to take you to court to request support for the short time they lived there. You'll have plenty of opportunity to present your side of the case. Best of luck with this!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 pm
by MaggieC
Not every state offers kinship care. That is, not every state will pay relatives to "foster" the children.

You may be a victim of--"let's just fill out the form and the hell with the law" kind of social worker thing.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:09 pm
by Marina
The child could still have received TANF or food stamps. I am not sure if they go after child support for MEDICAID also.

The custodian could also apply directly for child support for the time in care, perhaps, just like a divorced spouse. Just an idea. Look it up on the state website.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:26 am
by katgotsteve
i live in Georgia, so what i know comes from here.

if a child is in foster/relative care, assistance is offered. child support is added into the relative care, meaning you can get both and both parents have to pay a set amount for the child. if the child is in foster care, then the amount of child support can not be greater than the amount that the state pays for care, meaning if you make oodles of money and your normal child support would be $1500 per month, they can only take the $800 the state pays the foster family and all child support goes to the state.
if the child is on medicaid and living with relatives and no relative care is involved, the parents have to pay child support.

if you were in georgia, the likelihood of you having to pay child support to your inlaws after the child was placed back with your wife or you would be slim to none. i was told it wasnt worth the time to start a case for a few days or months esp. since you werent ordered before the removal.

your wife may have to notify child support that she now has the son, if the workers where you are at are like the ones here, they will be more than happy to close a case.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm
by salman501
Looks like there is a welfare case that grand father opened, and the case is still open. I told the San Diego child support people that custody is no longer with him but with my wife. I am not sure what happens next. Maybe we will all have to goto court, arghhh!!!

Do you think State will close the case, or I be ordered to pay retroactively for 75 days he provided care to my son, and was receiving welfare. Well he is still receiving welfare. Pisses me off to think, that own family members can be corrupt.