Non Offending Parent Therapy

Share information here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

falselyaccused2010

Non Offending Parent Therapy

Postby falselyaccused2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 pm

For the father who is falsely accused, if adjudicated (which is almost always the outcome of CPS investigation), the mother is still required by DHHS to undergo non-offending parent therapy, in order for her to be able to protect her children.

My case is that, my 13-yo stepdaughter accused her own husband and my 15-yo son (her stepbrother) of sexual abuse. Husband is adjudicated, now DHHS had asked for removal of my husband or my son from the home. I chose to move out with my son. DHHS now wants me to engage in non-offending parent therapy, in the hopes that I will believe the allegations. I have been telling them that I believe there is a possibility that it is true, and I will protect my son accordingly, but I wanted a good compromise between protecting my son (per DHHS' perception of protection) without depriving my son of a father.

NOP therapist had been asking me whether I believe or not believe the allegations. To me, that is pointless, as long as I intend to provide protection of my son that satisfies DHHS. Even if it means that my son and I will live outside of the home, I will not believe my stepdaughter's allegations because I know her and I know my son.

I wonder if I will be deemed in contempt of court if I refuse treatment by the NOP therapist due to lack of a valid patient-provider relationship because we do not agree with the treatment method, although we agree on the treatment goal. What if the therapist will say it was an unsuccessful treatment? Will DHHS take my son away even if we live outside of the home away from the alleged perpetrator (the jeopardy as perceived by DHHS).

The NOPT is applicable, in my opinion, to parents of children who were (or who claim to have been) sexually abused. My own son has not made any such allegations. So how can it apply to me? It is also applicable to cases of established abuse by the father. How can it apply to me? It is meant to teach the NO parent how to support her victimized children. How can it apply to me when my son is not victimized?

Anyway I am providing here links that give ideas on what NOPT is all about, what they consider as "engaged." My husband and I are not even smokers or drinkers. My son has been a recipient of high honors and highly respected by teachers, classmates, and other parents. Nothing aside from my stepdaughters allegations of abuse can be found by DHHS as a reason to charge us with neglect or abuse. My son loves us and attests to the loving atmosphere between us couple.

I want to be non compliant and to have the option to refuse treatment, but will that result to me being sent to prison, or losing my son, even if it means that this is a violation of my right as a patient to refuse treatment (of course, I am mentally competent to do that)?

Engaging Non Offending Parents

Treatment Guidelines for Non Offending Parents

Manual for non offending parents of sexually abused children, written in 1993

Engaging the Non Offending Parent

LindaJM

Re: Non Offending Parent Therapy

Postby LindaJM » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 pm

Refusing court ordered services can be a reason to remove a child from the home. Though it is unlikely they would take your son, most states have a very profitable grouphome system for teenagers that are always looking for clients because the pay is so good... so you can't count on them not to victimize your son just because he's older.

If he was placed in a grouphome he would probably be angry and then would be placed on psychotropic medications. You son sounds like an outstanding student now, and this would destroy his life, so if I were you, I wouldn't risk it with non-compliance.

Yes, it is Totally Ridiculous, but I suggest you go along with the program so much as you can... especially if it is court ordered.

If it isn't court ordered and you refuse services, the caseworker may take you to court.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Psychiatry & Medications”