By law CPS can't take longer than *** days to investigate.

Post and discuss legal documents of all kinds here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Dan Sullivan

By law CPS can't take longer than *** days to investigate.

Postby Dan Sullivan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:44 am

The law in your state may say that CPS MUST finish their investigation in 60-90-120 days.

But in reality people have petitioned for a decision to be thrown out for taking longer than the law allows... and the Court has decided in favor of CPS.

So (in NY for ex) when the legislature reduced the time CPS was allowed to investigate from 90 to 60 days... the law doesn't matter.

Dan

laur75

Postby laur75 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:56 am

I think it is ridiculous that they can take longer than the law states they have to investigate. It shouldn't take longer than 60 days to figure out if someone did something or not. It isn't a criminal matter, but a family one. We don't go back to court until Sept. 8 and the 60 day deadline is August 17th. My husband will miss our daughter's 5th birthday because the Judge will not allow any visitation while the investigation is underway. Well when would visitation be allowed? By the 8th of Sept. this better be over. I plan on bringing her home the minute they say they are screw ups (of course they will not, but the minute they say nothing is founded) and I hope that happens after the truth validator meets with my daughter one more time. She has only seen her 3 times and said that was enough, I hope that is a positive thing. How else would she get a good indication that something did/didn't happen if she spoke to her that few times.

Anyway, if the law states 60 days it should be 60 days. If they take longer than they are violating the law in my opinion. Of course the judge thinks CPS is God and believes all that comes out of their mouth. They haven't even investigated anything, everything she spouted in court last week was hearsay, not even admissable in a court. They haven't looked into anything.

Laurie

zeeksharon

longer than 60 to 90 days of investigation in cattaragus co,

Postby zeeksharon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:43 pm

report was filed in may and no decision was made until august
what do i do to get this report thrown out
i have never recieved a copy of the founded results
second report was filed in august by the guardian of the child but he wasnt even in the state at the time he had abonded the child and this mother had no choice but to take the child and prove her a place to stay
complaints against the family court of cattaragus county, new york and the handling of the cps case

grandmasharon

Postby grandmasharon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:25 am

I am new here so I hope I am in the right place where I am they only make a phone call and thats it .If you say things are good well then they must be. :(

Bob_Lynn

Postby Bob_Lynn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:25 am

By law CPS must also abide by the Constitution and all federal and state laws. When do they ever do that? So 30-60-90-120-10,000 days, whatever, means nothing to CPS.

Dan Sullivan

Postby Dan Sullivan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:56 am

Bob_Lynn wrote:By law CPS must also abide by the Constitution and all federal and state laws. When do they ever do that? So 30-60-90-120-10,000 days, whatever, means nothing to CPS.

The reason CPS can take whatever time they want for an investigation rather than the time specified in the law is because a family appealed a CPS decision when it was made passed the alloted time and the appelate court ruled in CPS' favor stating that abuse is abuse no matter how long the investigation takes.

sob900

Postby sob900 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:53 pm

Dan Sullivan wrote:
Bob_Lynn wrote:By law CPS must also abide by the Constitution and all federal and state laws. When do they ever do that? So 30-60-90-120-10,000 days, whatever, means nothing to CPS.

The reason CPS can take whatever time they want for an investigation rather than the time specified in the law is because a family appealed a CPS decision when it was made passed the alloted time and the appelate court ruled in CPS' favor stating that abuse is abuse no matter how long the investigation takes.

Yea, not in my case.
NO investigation.
No evidence.
No reports of abuse being founded or not.
Not one damn single shred of documented proof that I abused or neglected my son and they STILL are getting away with it.
"They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys. It has worked well for over two hundred years and we're not using it anymore." George Carlin

zeeksharon

CPS time limits for investigation

Postby zeeksharon » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:52 pm

There was never an appeal in my case. I do know that the law states I have to recieve a copy of the findings of the investigation and that has NEVER happened. So now what do I do? I am now listed on the national abuse registry and that will stay with me the rest of my life and I did nothing to deserve this. I only get to see my daughter once a month and its supervised. All I did was protect my daughter and the system has screwed me over. I can never work with children or adopt a child, all because someone lied to the judge and he believed it. Where is the proof? Where are the findings of the reports? I never got them! I am at a lost to this situation and my legal aid lawyer is NO HELP!
complaints against the family court of cattaragus county, new york and the handling of the cps case

fightingfor3

Postby fightingfor3 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:31 pm

I've looked under our state law and cannot find where it says how long an investigation can take place? Any ideas of where I can find it?

Return to “Legal Documents”