Have a question... Permanency plans

Post and discuss legal documents of all kinds here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

jaslken

Have a question... Permanency plans

Postby jaslken » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:05 am

I need to write an Permanency plan for my daughter to return home... I have an idea of how it should be done but has anyone actually wrote one. I want to get more ideas... more pointers... should I continue to use the caselaws or is it just plain and simple... any ideas?

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:48 pm

I have never heard of a parent being asked to form a permanency plan, usually the social worker does this.

I went to the U. S. Government website and did a search for

"permanency plan"

You should do this.

Here is something

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/WiSACWIS/knowl ... m#Planning

Click the "planning" link

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/WiSACWIS/knowl ... m#Planning

then cllick the Permanency Plan option.

Here is another one:

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Handbooks/C ... 3301_2.asp

jaslken

Postby jaslken » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 am

I am sorry I was not clear... I was not asked to do it...from what I read DYFS does one and then the judge makes his decision... I wanted to do one of my own to combat the "We think she needs to be adopted" crap!!!

jaslken

Postby jaslken » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:32 am

any ideas???

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Object to adoption or other placement as a permanency plan.

Object to any allegations of mistreatment.

Review the Agency's assessment of your family's needs.

For example, a family might need a new roof on the house. But the Agency claims the family needs mental health services.

If there is substance abuse, the Agency will not assess any other needs such as housing, employment, child care, etc. because they can terminate parental rights on substance abuse only, so why bother?

Compare your family's needs to the services offered by the Agency. The Agency has entitlement funding for time-limited reunification services, but this only includes mental health and substance abuse services. A family might need a hot water heater or a single Mom may need a job, etc.

If you needed social services, did you ask for them, or did your lawyer ask for them. If you needed food stamps, did you ask for them?

They can twist your assessed needs around, and say, "Well she can't even buy food." She asked for food stamps.

List all the services you have complied with. Did you go to mental health evaluation, drug testing, parenting class, etc.?

List all the services the Agency was supposed to provide, but stalled about authorizing or providing.

List all the reasons why reunification should take place.
This includes financial status, job, housing, transportation, substance abuse issues, mental health issues, health issues, and family support.

Go to your state website and do a search for "termination of parental rights." See what the laws say about what is legally required before they can do it. For example, you must correct the original conditions that brought the child into care.

Also, the permanency plan must take into account the best interests of the child. Not just who is richer, but the emotional well-being of the child.

For example, if the child is 12 and talks to the parents on the phone every night, then it would be devastating for the child to be cut off from the Mom. On the other hand, if the child is an infant, they can claim the baby doesn't even know the biological mother any more, and calls the foster mom their Mom.

Search for "best interests of the child" on your state gov. website.

Appeals can be made on 3 basic issues, as far as I can tell:

Error of Facts
Error of Law
Due Process

State the true facts and object to false evidence.

State the laws that relate to your case.
(Example, there is no law that says how old a child has to be before you leave them home alone. It depends on the maturity of the child.)

List all the policies that the Agency violated, including following time limits for things.

Good Luck.

Return to “Legal Documents”