Unusual situation advice needed

A place to post and discuss news.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

rlfroo

Unusual situation advice needed

Postby rlfroo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 am

I have a senario I would like some input on. A good freind of mine has had a child in guardianship for over 8 years. The birth mother gavethis child to them when the child was was an infant. She visited a few times in the first year but then disappeard. The guardians, because of the extreeme cost had not adopted this child yet but were in the process of completing it this year. The child is mentally ill with several diagnosis. The birth parent showed up after 7 years and wants to visit the child. The child does not have any desire to see the birth parent and was tramatized by the parent showing up at her door with the police. This parent is not fighting for custody, but only for visitation. The child does not want to see the parent, the therapists believe it would be a detriment to the child as the child was so tramatized by the parent showing up unannouced. They are now in a court battle that is costing this family a small fortune, all for visitation. They have proceeded with the termination of rights and that will be heard on the basis of abandonment and lack of support. The parent has never sent a gift, paid any support or even sent a card or letter to the child in the entire time. She is/was a drug addict and lives below the poverty level. She recieved a court appointed attorney to fight this battle yet the guardians have to pay for their attorney and the child's attorney, this I don't think is fair. Any advice I can give my friend? I am at a loss on this one. I am pro family, and always have been, but this is unusual as this family is the only family this child has ever known. Any advice would be appriciated. P.S. This was a case privatley not through CPS, they took this child because they knew that CPS would have gotten involved and neither the guardian nor the birth parent wanted that. If it was CPS this case would have long ago ended.

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:49 am

I don't see anything else they can do rlfroo, but pay an attorney...Unless they feel comfortable enough to represent themselves..

One good note, they aren't fighting a government agency that has an unlimited budget to use against them...

The Public Pretender she got probably won't fight them to much. :roll:
My advice is my opinion and not legal advice
A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

Return to “In the News”