Marina

South Carolina System

Postby Marina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:43 pm

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/174175.html

Posted on Sat, Sep. 15, 2007

Group aims to improve foster care system

State task force examining why children stay in homes too long

By SEANNA ADCOX - The Associated Press
The state must do a better job of caring for the thousands of abused and neglected children in its care, the director of the Department of Social Services said Friday.

Kathleen Hayes charged a study committee with finding practical ways to change the legal and governmental systems that cause children to stay in foster care too long. Years of instability result in many foster children dropping out of school, becoming unemployed and homeless or ending up in jail, she said.

“How do we fix it? I do not want to see a report that sits on a shelf,” she told the roughly 30-member task force at its first meeting.

More than 5,500 children are in foster care in South Carolina. But simply removing them from an abusive home and putting them in a foster home is not enough, said Hayes, a former adoption services director appointed earlier this year to lead the agency.

On average, foster children spend more than three years in state care and live in more than three different homes before being adopted, returned to parents or relatives or they turn 18, according to the state Children’s Foster Care Review Board.

The roughly 400 children adopted last year spent an average of nearly four years in state custody before their adoption was final. Another 400 teens left state custody at age 18 having never found a permanent family, according to the board’s latest report.

“We have failed our children in foster care,” said Carl Brown, a committee co-chairman and a foster parent of more than 120 children over three decades. “We can’t wait any longer. Our children are too important.”

The task force, which includes retired social workers, parents who adopt and a family court judge, is set to present its findings to Gov. Mark Sanford by Feb. 1. The Republican governor wants the adoption process shortened to two years or less.

Problems include high turnover of social workers and agency lawyers, inadequate training, the agency’s lack of technology and an overloaded family court system, Hayes said. Also, the state needs more foster parents, but the state’s small payments serve as a disincentive, she said. The state is at the low end of the Southeastern average, Hayes said.

She said birth parents need more help in improving their lives and, for those who can’t, it takes too long to terminate their parental rights. She said the time for excuses is over.

“I’m not afraid of what this task force comes up with,” she said. “This is as important as any work going on in the state right now.”

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:20 am

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/353867.html

Posted on Sun, Mar. 23, 2008reprint or license print email

Proposed S.C. bill | Parent rights debate ignited

Measure would make it easier for foster families to adopt kids whose parents are in prison

By GINA SMITH - [email protected]

More South Carolinians could lose their parental rights if a bill pending in the General Assembly and recommendations from a state task force become law.

The goal is to make it easier for children in foster care to become eligible for adoption, proponents of the measures say.

But others say the measures, endorsed by the state Department of Social Services and Gov. Mark Sanford, are an unfair infringements on parents’ rights.

A task force created by Sanford recently released a list of recommendations to cut the red tape in the state’s adoption process. Several of the recommendations involve speeding up the termination of the rights of biological parents.

The recommendations pair with a bill, making its way through committees in the House and Senate now. That bill would give family court judges the option to terminate the rights of parents in prison for extended periods of time.

The state currently averages about 400 terminations annually.

The bill only would apply to incarcerated parents whose children are in foster care, not children living with their other parent or with relatives.

“This would only be used when all other options have been exhausted, when there’s no one able to care for this child and the child is stuck in foster care,” said Laura Hudson, executive director of the S.C. Crime Victims’ Council, which is supporting the bill. “Instead of punishing that child by making them stay in foster care, we want them to be adopted to a loving home.”

Prison advocates, including James Murray, S.C. field director of Prison Fellowship, say the bill is unfair and will eliminate the main motivation many prisoners have for cleaning up their lives: regaining custody of their children.

“This bill would be devastating. You take all the hope away for these people, especially women,” said Murray, whose organization works with prisoners in all of the state’s facilities to get their lives back on track.

A SUCCESS STORY

More than 10 years ago, Murray and his wife both were incarcerated. One of their daughters was placed in foster care.

“My relationship with God and my daughters, they were the motivation for me,” Murray said. “I knew if I didn’t get my life together, they’d forever be lost to me. ... I couldn’t let that happen.”

It’s yet to be decided how long a parent must be incarcerated before a judge could terminate parental rights.

Some lawmakers say it should be an option if a parent is sentenced to three years or more in prison. Others say it should be left up to the judge.

Some lawmakers, including state Sen. Brad Hutto, D-Orangeburg, say terminating a parent’s rights should be reserved only for those with lengthy prison stays.

“Three years seems too short to me,” Hutto said. “But if someone is serving life in prison or they’re serving 30 years, there’s no real chance that they’ll have much input into the raising of that child.”

For the past five years, the state has adopted out an average of 387 children a year, according to Social Services. That’s a small number compared with the more than 700 children legally free for adoption last year and 926 more not yet legally free for adoption.

Many of the state’s foster parents have long argued the adoption process is unnecessarily lengthy because of the state’s push to return children to their biological parents.

In South Carolina, the finalization of adoption takes about four years. The state would like to reduce that to two years.

Those familiar with the state’s foster-care system say the current system allows many biological parents too much time — years — to get off drugs or make the other life changes necessary to become good parents.

“These children cannot wait five years, 10 years for these problems to be resolved,” said Kathleen Hayes, executive director of the state’s Department of Social Services. “Their developmental needs are so great. We can’t wait.”

When the state decides to terminate parental rights, it can take years to track down biological parents, further delaying the adoption process.

The law requires both biological parents be notified if the state is considering terminating their parental rights, said Virginia Williamson, chief Social Services attorney. The parents also have the right to attend the court hearing and contest the termination.

If paternity has not been established, the state must contact the likely father. Sometimes, multiple men have the potential of being a child’s father. In those cases, all of them must be contacted.

“Many times, they spend years trying to find the father and when they find them, they don’t want anything to do with the child,” said foster father Carl Brown of Columbia. “It can be very frustrating for foster parents who love these children and want to adopt them.”

Brown and his wife have been foster parents to 125 children. They have adopted six.

With several of the children, the couple waited years before parental rights were terminated.

“A couple of years isn’t a long time in my lifetime,” Brown said. “But it’s a very long time when you’re talking about a 7-year-old. Childhood is fleeting.”

Such delays led Sanford to form a foster care and adoption task force to investigate ways to cut through the adoption red tape.

The task force, co-chaired by Brown, recently reported its findings. They recommended:

• A state registry of birth fathers to make it easier for the state to locate and contact them about terminating parental rights;

• Accelerated hearings for termination of parental rights;

• More Social Services and court personnel dedicated to reducing the number of termination of parental rights cases;

• More aggressive recruitment of foster and adoptive parents.

The recommendations will be introduced as legislation this year or next, said Joel Sawyer, Sanford’s spokesman.

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:41 pm

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/17922509.html

Investigating the South Carolina DSS

Posted: 5:46 PM Apr 18, 2008
Last Updated: 6:06 PM Apr 18, 2008
Reporter: Gene Petriello
Email Address: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News 12 at 6 o'clock; April 18, 2008

AIKEN CTY, S.C. --- Thirteen areas need improvement says an audit of the Aiken County Department of Social Services. News 12 investigates what needs to be done.

One area that needs improvement is service. That's just what Benjamin and Susie Robinson will be seeing from the DSS after they are charged with neglect. Their four children have been returned to Benjamin and Susie.

Susie's mom is trying to get through to DSS however, that her four grandchildren need help. But she says DSS isn't listening to her. News 12 decided to find out what is going on.

Page after page of diary accounts for Jean Cerbe tell all for her. But she says, all for not.

"They haven't brought us into court or even looked at my information. I have documents that I have [written] down things that have happened and I have reported it to DSS," says Jean.

One of the entries says, "They were filthy and dirty. The baby diapers were always dirty; soaking wet."

Accounts in her diary that Jean says are important, but, wiped away.

"When I call up there to make a complaint to DSS, they tell me the kids are fine. Leave them alone," says Jean.

Strong claims that we took to DSS. They tell News 12 they cannot talk specifically about this case, but in general, DSS should take Cerbe's information into account.

However, she could have information that DSS already knew through another source or through their own investigation and observation.

Also, depending on the circumstances, confidentiality law may prevent DSS from telling extended family members details about what is going on in a case.

An audit of the Aiken County DSS, which was completed in January of 2008, shows 13 areas needing improvement. It shows 20 percent of families in treatment cases were not getting the services needed to address safety concerns in the home.

Services are exactly what the Robinson family is going to get. That is what the family court judge ordered late last week.

In 40 percent of treatment cases, also mentioned in the audit, risk of harm was not adequately managed. In that 40 percent, caseworkers described serious risk factors remained in the home and failed to take action to reduce them. In several cases, children were placed with alternative adult caregivers with no evidence of background checks being done.

Right now, Jean is simply frustrated. "I'm here. I'm willing to take them. I've had them for six years (as she talked about the kids)."

News 12 has learned the Aiken County Office has seen the study, met with state DSS officials and right now, they are working on developing a plan of action to address all the 13 concern areas.

To view the Aiken County Report: http://www.state.sc.us/dss/reports/files/52B6.pdf

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 pm

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/17860224.html

DSS Role in Child Neglect Cases

Posted: 5:47 PM Apr 17, 2008
Last Updated: 5:47 PM Apr 17, 2008
Reporter: Gene Petriello
Email Address: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A | A | A News 12 at 6 o'clock; April 17, 2008

COLUMBIA, S.C. --- News 12 did some digging into what the South Carolina Department of Social Services does in cases involving child neglect.

We do know, from an incident report, this is not the first time at least one of the four children have been placed into protective custody and out of the home of Susie and Benjamin Robinson.

However, the number of times a child leaves the home is not a benchmark for whether DSS asks that a child not be returned home. That information would be a significant factor in the recommendation.

While the judge in a DSS custody case is a neutral decision maker, he does look at evidence from all sides and decides whether or not DSS has proven its case.

In the Robinson's case, the judge stated the Robinson's could have their children back, but DSS will be monitoring them on a weekly basis. They will also be providing services to the Robinson's. Those services will be tailored to the Robinson's needs.

Overall, according to the South Carolina Statute, "The court shall not order that a child be removed from the custody of the parent or guardian unless the court finds that the allegations of the petition are supported by the preponderance of evidence including a finding that the child is an abused or neglected child."

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat May 31, 2008 9:00 am

http://www.independentmail.com/news/200 ... -anderson/

Angry mom reportedly socks social worker in Anderson
By Pearce Adams (Contact)
Originally published 06:11 a.m., May 30, 2008
Updated 01:46 p.m., May 30, 2008

ANDERSON COUNTY — An Anderson County social worker was reportedly assaulted when she attempted to investigate a report of children left unattended in a vehicle.

Samantha Frye, 20, of Belton said she “pushed” one of three women attempting to remove her children from her car, which was parked outside the Anderson County Department of Social Services building at 225 McGee Road.

According to the incident report, the 104-pound Frye struck the 200-pound worker about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Frye, who admits leaving her infant and 2-year-old daughter for about three minutes in a car with the windows down, walked into the DSS office to submit paperwork, never losing sight of the car, she said.

When she saw three women open the car doors and remove her children, Frye said she ran to confront them.

Leaving the children alone “was a mistake,” she said. “I should not have done that.”

When Frye reached the car, the DSS workers told Frye that the children would be put in foster care, Frye said.

“A deputy was supposed to be there” in a typical foster issue, she said, fearing that a crime was in process. “I was having an out-of-body experience. They would not listen to me and did not care what I had to say.”

When Frye confronted the woman that refused to return Frye's baby, Frye said she “pushed” her.

“She told me if I ever touched her again, she would knock me to the ground and press charges,” said Frye, who has not been charged.

“I hit her before I noticed her badge. The way I reacted is not me.”

But an investigation into the assault on the DSS worker is underway by the Anderson County Sheriff's Office.

So far, DSS has only opened a case and scheduled home visits, Frye said.

Return to “In the News”