A place to post and discuss news.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Marina

mental health

Postby Marina » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:16 pm

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/04/ ... tml?csp=34

Mental health of sect children overlooked
Joseph Beck - Cincinnati

As a retired certified social worker, I am saddened by the way Texas has removed innocent children who are part of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) from their parents and their home surroundings without specific charges of abuse being leveled ("Chaos reigns in Texas courtroom," News, Friday).

The FLDS community has been known to treat women as second-class citizens, harshly discipline children, encourage the marriage of minor-teenage girls to adult men and cast out maturing male teenagers who might become competitors for the affections of the FLDS women. This is not news. FLDS misdeeds have been known for years. Why are the Texas authorities removing the children now?

Why didn't they keep the children at home with their mothers under court and child welfare approved supervision, until a thorough investigation had been completed? This would have been better for the emotional health of the children.

What actually motivated the Texas child welfare authorities and the legal system to surge into the FLDS community and traumatize its children will be the subject of lawsuits, mental health studies and movies for years to come. I do not believe that the truth, as it emerges, will enhance the reputation of Texas as a provider of good quality mental health services for its children and adults. I think the removed children will be affected by the separation trauma they have experienced for years. The sooner they are returned to their families under professional supervision the better, and I believe all of us have an obligation to ensure that this is done as soon as possible.

Return to “In the News”