finding private providers for free assessments

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Chasia Henderson

finding private providers for free assessments

Postby Chasia Henderson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 am

hi my story is in the newcomers forum.

I have a question about assessments and evaluations.

Does anybody know how I can find private providers that don't go through the state or county that will offer free health assessments and evaluations so I don't have to just go along with the providers that my caseworker is referring me to.

Please, need advice on this.

LindaJM

Re: finding private providers for free assessments

Postby LindaJM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:21 pm

I don't know of any way to get free assessments, such as psychological evaluations. Those cost a lot of money... about $1500 last time I checked on the price, and that was a long time ago.

Let me know if you find any free sources...
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Chasia Henderson

Postby Chasia Henderson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Well for chemical health assessments where I'm from you can you do something called a rule 25 assessment which means you don't have to pay for the assessment and you go to a private organization that is contracted through the county to evaluate people.

But the same thing doesn't exist for psych evals and other assessments.

Chasia Henderson

Postby Chasia Henderson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

What about parenting assessments and classes?

Chasia Henderson

Postby Chasia Henderson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Seriously? No one knows anything?

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I have no idea where to find free parenting classes. Usually the caseworkers will send you to the person they want you to get the classes from, and that would be free, to you. Most people seem to think the classes are pretty lame. Often they don't teach much about parenting.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Chasia Henderson

Postby Chasia Henderson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Well if you count community education courses, which exist in my county and state, there are parenting classes available. I would have liked to take them with my baby - I signed up on my own - but of course cps won't honor them. I can go by myself but not with my daughter, lol. My caseworker told me I am welcome to go by myself...lol. If my case were at a dif point I would be going to them anyway.

Return to “Round Table”