GED ?

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

DesertSkye

GED ?

Postby DesertSkye » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 am

This is kinda off topic but I feel could end up in CPS hands

Heres the situation:

17 yr old formally homeschooled went to public high school thru junior yr
Wants to go to school to get a degree in criminal justice and then go on to become part of SWAT team.

So....he decided to take his GED and get going with it
Well, he just took it Oct 8th I believe and was not satisfied with it and wants to come back to school to get his diploma.

Now the law states any child under 18 has the right to an education and can take till they are 21 I believe to graduate.

He just turned 17 in July so he is a good ways away from turning 18.

The principal does not like him and is one of those judge by the cover of the book people
She was constantly suspending him for things she would let any other student get by with.

For instance there is a brick retaining wall out by the courtyard where kids gather for lunch.
Kids sit on it and jump down when getting off all of the time.

Well she saw him do it and suspended him for 3 days and its all been things like that.
He comes from a single parent household not much money and last yr he saved up to buy a certain hoodie of some rock band which is allowed
Other kids are wearing them
well she saw him with it on and said it violated the dress code
It didn't
but he didn't know any better so he told her I don't have money to buy another coat
so she gae him a voucher to the clothing closet
there were no coats there that fit him all younger kids coats
so the next day he was wearing it and she suspended him
so he realized she was just going to keep giving him grief and therefore he might as well get his GED and go to college
He is very intelligent

Yesterday he went back to school as it was the first day after fall break to get registered to come back.
She told him no he couldn't now that he had his GED
and she told him he had to leave the property immediately
He said well my mom can't come back until 8:45 to pick me up(it was 8:30)
She said walk (and ITS FREEZING OUTSIDE!! and he does not live close to the school)

So she had him arrested!
I know if we can't find some legal references she will just cause more trouble and probably call CPS I have to stay out of it as far as them knowing I am helping him for obvious reasons....

So does anyone know of a childs rights to go to school even if they have a GED I am not finding anything

Thanks!
A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with like weight of pain,
As much or more we should ourselves complain.
William Shakespeare

Marina

Postby Marina » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 am

If we knew which state it is in, then we could look up state laws.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:01 pm

a cousin of mine tried to go back into school after getting her GED and was told that she could not enter school again after getting a GED. Basically, by dropping out and getting her GED she waived any future rights to schooling. Its there in place of a high school diploma, she got it, so that was that.

This is just in the state that I was from however. I dont know what it is for every state, but I would assume the same.

DesertSkye

oops

Postby DesertSkye » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:58 pm

sorry i meant to include the state it is Tn
All i can find is that they have a ged plus 2 exit plan and either the child continues to take 2 vocational classes or is plase don a work to learn program
this kid was apparently on the work to learn one and cann't get a job so he wanted to come back and do the 2 vocational classes

and i can't find anything on that
A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,

We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;

But were we burdened with like weight of pain,

As much or more we should ourselves complain.

William Shakespeare

mrsmac

Postby mrsmac » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:07 am

My friend had problems getting her son allowed to return to school. The vice principal in our local high school was downright rude. He didnt have his highschool at all but was over 18 and they didnt want him in highschool but he was too young for the adult learning centre (age 21). We too have the law that everyone is entitled to an education and you can attend highschool til you are 21.

Now this is Ontario, Canada, so things may be way different in the USA but i emailed the principal & said what his viceprincipal had done, the school board members for our area & the area councilman and we got action.

Take it higher if at all possible......
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Galations 6:2

Marina

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:39 pm

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000001/00000147.asp

Recognizing Home School Diplomas for College Admittance and Financial Aid

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/faq.asp

Should I skip the diploma and have my student take the GED test instead?
A GED is a substitute for a diploma; it is not a diploma. A person can obtain a GED without ever having spent a day of his life in school. Many colleges and employers will treat a GED about the same as they would a diploma. However, if a student has a GED, some colleges and employers may assume the student did not have what it takes to finish high school. If your student successfully completed a program of secondary education, he deserves a diploma to prove it.

http://tennessee.gov/tccy/KCSOC4-3.pdf

The No Child Left Behind Act included high school graduation rate
as one of the measures school districts and high schools must meet.
High schools must either achieve a 90 percent graduation rate or
show they are on track to meet the 90 percent graduation rate by
school year 2013-14. Certificates of attendance, General Education
Development (GED) diplomas and special education diplomas do
not count.

Return to “Round Table”