Four tips for cleaning up your home

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Harlan Carroll

Four tips for cleaning up your home

Postby Harlan Carroll » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:31 am

I've been doing alot of thinking, and some research, and here are my recommendations for cleaning up a messy/cluttered home and keeping it clean. :)

1) Declutter your house, room by room. Take one room. Any room. And empty it out. Perhaps not all the furniture, but everything on the floor or on the furniture, and maybe some small furniture. Move it into another room. Then after a vacuum and cleanup job, move select items back into that room. At the end you should have a nice-looking room. Not perfect, but the framework is there.

Do this room by room. In the end you'll have a mass of stuff somewhere in the house. One poor room is going to have a lot of extra stuff into it. What you do here is decide what you are going to do with the rest of the stuff. I recommend the following method:

2) Create piles based on content. For example a pile of clothes that are going to go somewhere. Knick-nacks or junk. Old toys. Perhaps you wish to garage sell them, or give them to relatives or Salvation Army or Goodwill. Or put them in storage. Heck, be prepared to throw it all away. Bottom line is, you _have_ to do something with it all. It shouldn't be in your house any more. This is all stuff that didn't make the cut. If your home is cluttered. Some stuff has to go. It has to. Because otherwise it makes maintaining your house much harder. That's _more stuff_ to clean every day. THAT is what makes housework so hard.

3) Preventing a "recluttering" of your home by a) throwing away old items when you buy/are given new items. Get a whole new batch of clothes and toys? Start looking at the old items that you might want to hand down to someone else outside of your home. And b) consider buying more storage containers, dressers, etc. Anything that helps you store more items, and keep things off the floor and out of sight.

4) Lastly, everyone in the household has to assume responsibilities over certain areas. No brainer stuff like kids are in charge of their rooms, and toys around the house, parents split certain duties, etc. But I recommend a further step. Guardianship. What that is is someone will take a responsibility to oversee someone else's work in another area. They can a) positively guide the other person to finishing their work or b) help the other person in trade for upkeep in their other areas. Often two heads are better than one. And two people working together in two different areas might be more successful than being split up.

I'll give an example of the last one. My wife and I share dish-washing responsibilities. For example she loads the dishes into the dishwasher, I unload them. But countless times I'll do her job or she'll do mine. Or we'll work together and load it, put the load on, and later on unload it.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. And if you have some ideas or suggestions, post them in replies. :)

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:36 am

Research is beginning to show where different types of thinking occur in the brain, and how individuals differ in their weaknesses.

What you describe above involves

decision-making,
categorization and
memory.

Some people are weak in decision-making. Others are weak in categorizing. And still others are weak in remembering where things are and have a tendency to want to have their possessions in view.

For example, if you do a web search for

"temporal lobe" + categorization,

links will show the areas in the brain where this type of activity takes place. I came across this concept when doing research on how alcoholism affects the brain, and on brain imaging in alcoholics.

I think all people just naturally have different strengths and weakness -- we are not all actors, athletes or musicians. We don't "get" it. It is only when these weaknesses show up in basic life functions that we get in trouble, like managing money, relationships, spelling, etc.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:23 am

Yes I agree. Organization is the KEY.

What I do every 3 to 6 months, is to go One room at a time. I would tell the Kids and join and help out. We would pick out the bigger stuff, and put in two Piles. KEEP and NOT KEEPING/THROW AWAY Piles. The bigger stuff are picked up because we can't see the smaller pieces underneath it. Once the bigger stuff is picked up, we would pick up garbage, a third Pile...picking up papers, plastic, broken books, ripped cardboards, and whatever. We put all of these in garbage. Don't you always get rotten milk glasses and cookies under the bed? LOL We throw all of these in the garbage. Kids would always sneak food into their rooms when told not to but they do anyways.

Then finally, picking up smaller pieces and throw in Keep or Throw away Piles. Then when done, we would vaccum the carpet, and sweep up, and clean up. Then clean all Windows of their rooms, then make their Beds.

Done!
We bring out the Throw away Piles in Bags, and put in the halls for the next day to bring to the Salvation Army. Shoes, smaller Clothes and so forth are also brought out in Throw away piles as well. Keep Piles would be re-organized and labelled. We agreed to keep the toys that they always play, and throw away that they never played. Such as Barbies, Cars, and whatnots. We would label these and put in these in their Closets.

Then onto the next room, and the next until finally the Kitchen and Living Room would be the last Resort. Kid's Bedrooms should be first. Then put all the Dirty Clothes in the Laundry and wash. Then work your way down to the Kitchen/Living Room/Study rooms. Throw away dishes that you never used, and books you never read, and never used. and Organize them again and put it away in Cupboards, and Shelves. Then Mop up all Floors/and Vaccum Carpets. Then Dust everything else, then Clean all Windows.

Lysol all Door knobs, taps, and remote, and whereever the Kids touch. To clean all the Germs from the School and bring it home can cause more Colds and Flus. That's it.

It should total about three Days to clean all of these in your House.
REMEMBER to be CAREFUL how you clean and NOT HURT YOUR BACK. Strenous work and hard work where you push yourself can exhaust yourself and energy can be worn out.
EXERCISE FIRST BEFORE you CLEAN THE HOUSE. IT is important. I cannot stress this enough. Use rubber gloves when handling Windex, Comet, and other Chemical Cleaning Materials to clean sinks and other stuff.

Organization is the Key and TIME is also the KEY. Don't rush yourself out and learn how to enjoy cleaning the house without feeling experated or frustrated. Take Breaks in between 5 to 10 minutes and have a Coffee then get back to work. Do all of these while the Kids are in School. It just makes work easier on you and no interruptions.

When Done....Go out and have a Coffee and chat with your Friends at the Coffee Shop or go for a Fitness work out, swimming or walking your dogs. You will feel a whole lot better!!! :D

Good luck!
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:00 pm

Why concentrate so much effort on meeting
standards the agencies DO NOT HAVE????

WHY try to meet standards that do not exist?

IF there actually is a binding standard for home inspection
by the CPS idiots, THEN this discussion might be
worth having.

There are NO STANDARDS for a CPS agency home inspection.
The agencies are terrified of setting a legal precident
on standards for home inspections.

The 4th Amendment under the Bill Of Rights protects
us against unreasonable search and seizure.

The agency refusal to promulgate STANDARDS
for home inspections makes any search by them
UNREASONABLE for lack of specifics.

FOLKS! They have you trying to meet standards
that absolutely DO NOT EXIST!.

Don't accept specific notes written for you as
standards either. Official, published standards
or else the court search warrant has to be
extremely specific about every detail.

A warrant is not to be issued except on probable cause.

If your intention is to COOPERATE FULLY
and allow yourself to be bullied by caseworker demands,
then why are you on FIGHTCPS?

If the agencies can't even have the DECENCY to
create public, published standards for home inspections,
and deliberately rely on subjective judgements you
will forever be subject to the "white glove test"
kind of sickness where no home ever passes the test.

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:56 pm

This really isn't a thread about standards, but one about keeping a clean home. :)

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:18 pm

Harlan Carroll wrote:This really isn't a thread about standards, but one about keeping a clean home. :)

That is true but Greegor is partly right. There is not EXACTLY a Perfect home.

Question: How much is too clean? I was told that my house is TOO CLEAN!
Do we have to be nitpicky or laid back or "looks alright" kind of homes? Does it HAVE TO BE PERFECT 100% CLEAN HOUSE?
It is impossible! You see, they only looked at my Kitchen and my Living room as too clean. But they forget about the Kid's rooms as messy. I told them that the Kids bedrooms were too messy and I always tell the Kids to clean it up every day....

Their comments?

"Just close the Door and ignore it".

uh? :shock:

Which one is right? Too clean house, middle clean house, or downright dirty? LOL Sounds like Goldilock Story to me. Too hot, too Cold, too soft, too hard...it is THAT NITPICKY of what CPS does!

But....we would feel much better with a REGULAR, COZY "Just Right" Clean Homes. It does not have to be Perfect! :roll:

Even Hospitals are even dirty and you still get the Flu. :roll:

You see what Psch. Doctors say about Perfectionists?
He goes saying "They have just as much problems as the rest of the people".
Ha! LOL

Just RELAX! and just clean your Houses as the best as you can. You tried the best as you can. We are not always perfect and it is normal. It is CALLED BEING HUMAN!
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:44 pm

I thought you were discussing de-cluttering.

Clutter compalints are a classic "catch all" from CPS.
Insiders to CPS reported YEARS ago that Complaints
of clutter are used when they actually have NO ISSUE
but intend to COME UP with something.

There IS a difference between clutter and filth.

I do NOT believe that dishes in the sink is a problem.

If you have cockroaches so well trained they
know when to climb the legs of the kitchen table
to raid the dirty dishes, that's a problem.

Clean or de-clutter to YOUR STANDARDS.

Do not let CPS idiots give you a complex and
have you being OCD the OTHER way!

Harlan Carroll

Postby Harlan Carroll » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Just to clarify, I am not setting standards. I assume the people who read this thread want to find ways of cleaning/decluttering their home, and I provide some recommendations for dealing with it.

I'd really like to avoid tangential arguements like "what standards CPS use for cleanliness/clutter" as this thread isn't about them or their standards. :)

lostintranslation

Postby lostintranslation » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:00 am

Harlan, excellent thread!

While there may not be standards for a 'clean home', I think that anyone involved in a cps investigation/case might want to think about taking that extra step to make sure the cps workers CAN'T turn around and say, 'cluttered house at each visit' or whatever. If they see constant clutter or mess, they will assume there is an issue with hoarding and try to get something in regards to mental illness attached to any other allegation. It really is a pretty simple task. Look at anxiousmom's case. It was a hard road for her but she did get it done and it is looking like at least two of her children will be back with her.

De-cluttering and maintaining a clean home is NOT that hard, if you are motivated. And what better motivation could someone have when their child/ren are in out of home care? I'm sorry but when they have your children, they hold most of the chips and I for one am NOT willing to play poker with cps workers when my children were the ante.
Hell hath no fury like a parent scorn

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:25 am

What happens if the parent works 5 or 6 days a week, 40 to 60 hours a week and had no time to de clutter/clean the house.

I would suggest to hire a Housekeeper to clean weekly like on a Saturday. And when a parent is not working, and use Sunday off and clean the house.

Use TIME MANAGEMENT Schedule to clean your home and still work 5 to 6 days a week.

Ironically, and sometimes CPS uses Work Schedule against the Parent which is pretty absurd to me. They need INCOME to support the Children. and hence the Children are at the daycare or with the Babysitter and they are being paid to watch these Children. Not to mention most of the Children are at School.

When Parents are Stay at Home Mother or Father, can use that as an advantage to clean the house while the Kids are at school. :wink:

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:05 am

The only things that please CPS are if you grovel,
put your children completely at their mercy and
tell them how wonderful they are.

Narcissists and Megalomaniacs on a power trip.

We figured out that house cleaning and organization
was a tactic to keep us busy so we wouldn't have time
for researching laws and writing pleadings to fight them.

I asked a caseworker in our home:
"If we got rid of everything and emptied out the place
would you send the child home?"

The caseworker said no.

A week later we found out that since they hadn't yet
filed for a court removal order, that same caseworker
had absolutely no legal right to DENY the mother her child.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:03 pm

:lol: LOL oh my goodness yes it does happen varily everywhere.

Maybe we should declutter and clean CPS Files.

Anyone vote for that?

Yea for me. :wink:

:lol:

rlfroo

Postby rlfroo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 am

All of you make wonderful points. There is a way to declutter your home in 15 min per day. The web site is www.flylady.net. She is awesome. I have shared this website with many of my parents who are/were organizationaly challanged. [www.flylady.net] This web site helps keep me organized and I have 5 little ones running around. She sends you emails on the project of the day, gives you a morning and evening routine to start and end your day the best way possible. Enjoy and happy organizing![/url]

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Tue May 22, 2007 3:31 am

Has anybody seen a CPS office that isn't cluttered?
Ever looked at how much garbage is in caseworkers state cars?

Why make your home beyond complaint?

Just don't let the caseworkers in!

There is no such thing as beyond complaint.

They just lie!

The complaint is a cop out and a ruse to
put the parents in a defensive or submissive posture.

If you clean it they can also just say that
you will just go back to your bad habits
sooner or later.

Get a handle on how "makework" bureaucrats operate!

To them imagined ends justify any means.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue May 22, 2007 12:33 pm

I agree one thing is never let them in your house.

They will USE ANYTHING about your house against you. Even folded laundry basket in the middle of the room, even crayons on the floor, even pets! If you don't have enough kitchen chairs, they will say you must go get some more. They will say that you are OCD for cleaning your house too much! Even complain about too much Bleach in your home.

Don't say I clean my house every day, 24/7, they just might think you are obessive Controller whatever they label you with. What you do is none of their concerns, ONLY for Protection Concerns such as physical abuse, mental abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse and whatnots. They should be FOCUSED ON THAT, not just focusing on "how clean your house was". Just wasting Funds this way and better invested and FOCUSED on the Investigation and its Case and not to be NITPICKY ON WHAT GOES ON IN YOUR HOUSE!!!

Final point, BETTER OFF TALK TO HER OUTSIDE! Don't let her in at all, THEN she can't use anything in your house against you! Nothing because she hadn't seen it. Plain and simple.

That's why I talk to my workers outside from now on. I won't even let her in for washroom! I will just tell her to go to Wendy's since they supported CPS. Nah, that will piss her off. Just better off say you must go and cook some supper for your Children and you have work things to do. Like they are wasting your valuable time! Mention this word and they DO NOT LIKE IT!
INTERFERENCE INTO FAMILY LIFE!

They will get the message.

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Tue May 22, 2007 7:22 pm

Harlen,

What ever happened with ya'll's case? Did you all get the kids back? Are you & your wife still separated?

florida999

Postby florida999 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:49 am

another thought, take items that you dont use anymore, toys, clothes ext. and sell them on ebay. not only are you clearing things out....but making some money as well.

Return to “Round Table”