Spanking....

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Do you believe in spanking as a punishment?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

Momof31995

Spanking....

Postby Momof31995 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:23 am

Let me know how everyone thinks i do believe in spanking as punishment(with the hand and leaving no marks).
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Lorrie Shaw

Postby Lorrie Shaw » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes, I do, I tried hit the poll button but it did not work. I feel a swat on the hiney is enough to get thier attention, I do not believe in beating a child for anything. But, I do feel that sometimes a swat is ok if they are really being out of control..

JMO<

Lorrie :D
We cannot appeal to the conscience of the world when our own conscience is asleep.

Carl Von Ossietzky
1889-1938
German Pacifist and Journalist

Momof31995

Postby Momof31995 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:57 pm

not sure what happened to the poll but i am so glad someone finally agrees with me. I realize the older a child gets the less effective spanking will be. I remember when i was a teenager i would rather have had a few swats than being grounded....the swats only hurt for a minute but grounding could ruin my fun.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes.

I agree with Lorrie Shaw.
Centuries of my Ancestors used this and no one has a Criminal Record and holds a pregitous job. Most of them in the Military, Business, and so forth.
We have Religion Rights.
Children respect more on the Parents than without would cause disrespect toward their parents.

That's it.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

trappedinwreakage

Postby trappedinwreakage » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Yes, as I have recently stated, I was spanked somewhere between 6 -10 times by my mother and 2 by my father and one paddling in 4th grade

I know my daughter got about 5 or 6 when she was between the ages of 5 to maybe 10 at the oldest. Just when it was disrespect = only for bad lip service which is usually things they are taught in "school". For everything else "no" worked well becasue in my house "no" always meant "no", it never meant "maybe" She was an easy child though I must confess. She learned early and was easy to keep her hands off stuff that was not hers, becasue she was kept right after as a toddler. If she headed for something she was stopped and told "no". By the time she was 12 she began to make the change toward woman hood and I was never comfortable touching her any more. We always held hands, then one time going in the store, she wanted to hold my hand and I had to tell her, we cant do that anymore cause it will look funny to others, she understood but was not happy. That was a hard time in our life as our relationship began to change.

We never did the smack in the head or jerk of the arm like so often seen in public by bad mothers. I always hated that, said a thing or two a few times too.

then my daughter became 15 and we had the "teenager/parental control fight" and I became a registers child beater and the teenagers won ... they were even proud of themselves ... Bravo CPS ... Bravo !

brilliant absolutely brilliant

anyone else remember their big blowout teenager fight with their parents ? ........... I do and I got what I deserved and my fathers path in life went on ...... unobstructed ! and my life went on ..... unobstructed ! In fact with a more realistic and positive view of the world ......... cant say that for my daughter.

trappedinwreakage

Postby trappedinwreakage » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:59 pm

BTW - Spanking is not punishment, it is discipline

Punishment is a negitive force meant to hurt, harm or disrupt someones life. ..............{read : CPS/family court}

Discipline is a NATURAL! teaching/learning process. All species of mammals use discipline! It appears harsh, it is swift and then it is over with and everyone goes on ... lesson learned. Its older than the scriptures, its natural instinct to prepare ones offspring to be the very best and this is how its been done ............. NOT "TIME OUTS" in the bedroom with the TV and stereo and video games !

This to me is the first thing a parent needs to realize, your object in life is not to "punish" your children .... it is to "discipline" them, teach them, guide them through the early learning process of life to the very best of your abilities.

Discipline is not Abuse !

CPS is Abuse

florida999

Postby florida999 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 am

i do think that a light swat is o.k. I dont believe that any child should be hit with any sort of object though, i do think that is abuse.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:29 am

Canada has passed its Spanking Law Section 43, and now Child and Youth Services are challenging it and trying to quash the Spanking Law for Canada.

Here is a description of Spanking Law:

Allowed only for 2 to 12 yrs old
Objects not allowed to hit children
No hits on the head

Supreme Court upholds spanking law
Last Updated: Friday, January 30, 2004 | 5:47 PM ET
CBC News
Canada's top court has upheld a law allowing parents to spank their children, but also set guidelines outlining "reasonable limits" to the act.
In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada refused to repeal Section 43 of the Criminal Code that allows parents and school teachers to physically discipline children in their care by using "reasonable" force.

In its decision Friday, the court ruled that reasonable corrective force can be used against children between the ages of two and 12 years old.

The court said it was unacceptable to hit a child with an object, like a belt or paddle. Blows and slaps to the child's head would also be unacceptable.

For corporal punishment to be legally acceptable, it must involve only "minor corrective force of a transitory and trifling nature," the court ruled.

Continue Article

INDEPTH: Spanking

Ailsa Watkinson

Ailsa Watkinson, the Saskatchewan mother who began the legal challenge nine years ago, said she was disappointed in Friday's ruling. "'Don't hit a child on the head, don't use a ruler, don't use a belt.' It seems so strange to me that we have to have a Supreme Court ruling setting those parameters," said Watkinson. "That just seems to be imminent good sense."

"And that's the problem with Section 43. It still gives us outs. It still allows the idea and perpetuates the notion that children are second-class citizens."

The Canadian Foundation for Children, Youth and the Law brought the case to the top court, seeking to strike down the law.

"I am very heartened by all those narrowings and restrictions, but I am somewhat disappointed that the court did not recognize children as human beings with equal rights," said the foundation's spokesperson Martha Mackinnon.

Lawyers for the children's organization argued that the Criminal Code provision is a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedom, and makes children "second class citizens."

"This case is about the right of children not to be hit, a right that in a modern, 21st-century democracy should be unquestioned," said lawyer Paul Schabas when he argued the case before the Supreme Court.

But the federal government argued Section 43 should stay in place, saying the law strikes a balance between the needs of parents and the rights of children.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Share your thoughts on this story

The Justice Department says it does not advocate spanking, but that repealing the law could make parents liable to criminal charges each time they spank their children.

Many teachers and education officials have defended keeping Section 43 as it is.

Terry Price of the Canadian Teachers Federation, another group that had intervenor status in the case, worried that repealing Section 43 could result in teachers being charged with assault for breaking up a schoolyard fight.

"And I as a parent would certainly want to know that someone is going to intervene if my child was involved in an altercation," said Price.

Section 43 of the Criminal Code was passed in 1892 and has been amended several times.

Michael Martens of Focus on the Family, an organization that supported the law, said he was "strongly encouraged" by the decision.

"The Supreme Court has recognized the need to protect parents in their role in raising children," said Martens. "Especially that they are not criminals."

The Ontario Court of Appeal upheld Section 43 in January 2002. The court ruled that parents and teachers are free to spank children for disciplinary purposes if they limit themselves to "reasonable force."
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

trappedinwreakage

Postby trappedinwreakage » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:34 pm

:roll: children are second class citizens ?

so would this also mean this woman and organization would support a 60 hr work week for children ?

marraige ?

child adoption ?

drivers licence and the right to vote ?

how about alcholic beverages ?

how about emancipation where the parent no longer has to support them ?

I always felt that children were living in the lap of luxury and enjoying the best years of their lives, the most freedom they will ever know ...... during which time their own flesh and blood that created them is burdoned with the task of keeping them on track.

Seems strick parents have become second class citizens

at least those that fall victim to the prey of these cry babies

I would like to hear what these people feel a parent is supposed to do with the out of control teenager that is obviously over 12. They dont want us making a stand with them because they know they will come right back at us provoking a fight.

Im glad I wasnt part of the "no fear" generation when I was young. Saved my father a lot of grief and his job and his reputation and most importantly his spirit and soul.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:42 pm

My Thoughts exactly. :roll:
Then they will strike it citing that these Children has Children Rights. That may be true. They still have a voice, but they can't possibly have everything they want in this World just like you mentioned above. The right to vote, the right to drink, the right to drive...and work. These Children can't work, they go to School to learn and get their Education. They learn from their PARENTS through by TEACHING them about values of Life and how hard the World is "out there" and preparing them for the World when they get older.

But most of all, it is all about Respect to the Mother and Father.
We as Parents have the right to teach them and give them values and morals about Life. It is not easy out there and surely they can't do everything on their own. They need guidance.

Yes we do see out of control Teenagers and guess what? We are seeing them more and more in Courts now. It is flowing right in. When I was sitting in Court, I would see about five Teeangers about 15 and 16 answering to the Judge about their Crimes and the Crimes can be mischief or vandalsism and so forth.

Now Experts saying that these People that was never spanked get in more trouble than the ones that are spanked, they had no Criminal Record and had a really decent Job. Now Experts are challening to see who's right and who's wrong now.

In reality, there are no rights and surely there are no wrongs. It is calling making a mistake and learning from the Mistakes that you make. It is called being HUMAN!
It is also wrong when People point the fingers saying that you are no-gooder and judge you. Remember they shouldn't judge because look at themselves, they have their own faults! They ain't perfect either but claims they are. :roll:

Return to “Round Table”