Very Odd Behavior

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Workingmom

Very Odd Behavior

Postby Workingmom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:51 pm

Per the court order, I called cps (the only place who offers it in my city) to get myself set up for their "Protective Parenting" classes.

The woman who was suppose to be signing me up asked me questions like, is there currently an open cps case against you? What were the allegations? Who is your caseworker? What is their phone number? Have you ever been investigated for any sexual abuse?

This type of questioning just to sign up for a damn class makes me nervous about what to expect. A close friend of mine suggested that I take my recorder with me to each class, as I am nervous about attending with my lawyer there now. If I choose to record it to protect myself, and my rights, can they stop me? Are they going to press for me to talk about the case? This is a BIGGY for me. I refuse to talk to anyone about the case without my attorney. I feel like this class (and how odd it is that cps is the only one providing it now) is just another way to trap parents into getting their rights violated.....AGAIN.

I difinately plan to talk to my attorney on this one, but I would appreciate thoughts from anyone else. This site has been EXTREMELY helpful. So anyone's input on it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 am

See I never had to actually go to a class the only thing I had was a woman (social worker) who came to the house for "parenting" and we just sat there and talked about the case. Those questions you were asked sound like she is just trying to collect basic info because the woman that came to my house asked me the same questions stating that her paper work only said where she needed to be. she asked me on the first visit "Do you know what I'm here for becuase I don't see any problems" I explained and she had to call the worker and ask. she said when she goes to a house and the kids spit at her, bite her, and stab her with penciles, she knows why she is there but my kids were just talking to her politely and then they picked an apple off the apple tree for her. Which means they like her. Truthfully the person heading the class can be a great help if you show up answer questions and show her you are a protective parent. Or in home services worker was a great help to use. she had to write reports every time she came and they were positive. It kinda helped move the case along. Also she was a great support. I really have nothing but good things to say about her and the few suggestions she made worked out great.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:07 am

You wont be able to record the classes because there are other parents there and it would be violating their rights to have you record them.

The questioning is about the same I got when I signed up for the class. I was told it was so they could notify the caseworker that you had signed up and also so parents who are 'supposed to' be in the classes are given priority over parents who just want to take it. (yes there are some who just want to, or ones that are trying to fight for custody disputes with the other parent and want it as leverage, or one lady I was in class with said she wanted to adopt so was taking the class to show she had)

What got me was the fact they made us sign in every time they said so they could notify the caseworkers we had indeed been attending. (I think it was also so they could blow the whistle on people to their caseworker. One woman was there for beating her kid and had him taken away and was fighting to get him back, yet in the class she kept saying she did nothing wrong and she would do it again) Yet, even though we signed in every class, my on going caseworker the lying troll she was told me that she couldnt close my case until I showed her the letter of completion from the class to prove I had done it. I told her they were her co-workers, it was in the same building she worked in, they notified her every time I was there, she knew full well I had finished and if she wanted to see the paper she could get it from her co-workers because I threw it in the trash the second I got it.

They started the class off by going around the room and introducing yourself and telling everyone what you had done wrong to put you in the class. I introduced myself (first name only) but refused to participate in the 'confessions' by saying my lawyer advised me not to discuss my specific case with anyone. I did participate in general crap but nothing about myself, or my family.

Good luck. Its the same repetative shit just in different words the whole time! And none of it pertained to me so it was BORING!

Momof31995

Postby Momof31995 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:59 am

We signed up to the parenting class but it was a joke the teacher was new and had no idea how to run the class so we just pretty much had group discussionsand at the end of 10 weeks we both got certificates.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Workingmom

Forget that!!

Postby Workingmom » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Fortunately, I have insurance and my attorney has told the social worker that I will be seeking the evaluations, and classes through our own sources. I just don't trust anyone affiliated with cps.

Queenie08

Postby Queenie08 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:22 am

I agree with not trusting... How do you trust someone that has lied to you before.

So for Texas.... because this is the only state that I know of - If you are enrolled in Parenting Classes, then your case is still open and in FBSS stage or CVS stage. You should also have a Worker who comes to your home at least 1 - 3 times a month.

You can talk to your worker about your not feeling that you are getting enough out of the class, or you feel that the class is a waste of your time. Most often if my clients tell me they dislike the class then I send them to a community resource like a parenting center, and then address protective issues during home visits. Ask your worker about this option. You do not have to disclose personal information or specifics about your case. Just like an AA meeting - you don't have to get personal the first time, you have to warm up to people, see what they are about.

Sorry, I have to scroll down the page to read the comments and then address them here - You are more than welcome to seek resources on your own. I like it better when my clients take their own stance and participate. Just remember that when the Worker comes to the home, you may still have to address parenting and protective issues. In my casework what I do for parents who do choose this option is we talk about what they are gaining from the resource they have chosen, and then relate that to the alledged incident and what can be done should the situation present itself again.

As for recording... I agree that you can not violate the rights of others by recording their stories as well. Now if you choose you can record your conversation with your worker. Though this may harm you in the end. Another way to look at recording is that it also explains to others that you may have been unsuccessful at addressing protective issues, or refusal to participate in services. It can also show that your Worker is not interested or has a prejudice in which case the recording is a SAVIOR.

I hope this helps. If I was unclear or something let me know I really want to help.
Be Well.... Live Well

Queenie08

Postby Queenie08 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:29 am

Oooohhh forgot to say that this is primarily dependant upon the allegations for your case. An example of this would be Sexual Abuse. If the case involves sexual abuse that also involved penetration then the worker more than likely would not approve of the parents seeking an outside resource as that the outside resource would not address certain protective issues regarding sexual abuse.
Be Well.... Live Well

Marina

Postby Marina » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 pm

Queenie08,

In Texas are parenting classes regulated by the government?

Also, do teachers of all parenting classes have to be licensed or certified by the government?

Does the state of Texas have certain requirements which all service providers must meet before they can be "listed" and before social agencies can authorize payments to these providers?

I am asking this because of how it works in Virginia, as shown in the Service Fee Directory listed under the Comprehensive Services Act of Virginia.

http://www.csa.state.va.us/sfd/service_ ... ectory.cfm

"Information presented in the service fee directory was supplied by and is maintained by the service provider. It has not been verified or evaluated by the publisher or by the Commonwealth and its listing in this directory does not constitute licensure, certification, approval or endorsement of the program, services or fees by the Commonwealth. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to determine whether the provider is licensed to supply the service to be purchased and whether the fee is reasonable."

Queenie08

Postby Queenie08 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Hello Marina,

When you say Service Fee what is this, we do not have service fees here. In Texas the services that families participate in through DFPS are called Providers. This means that the State of Texas pays the provider for the services rendered to the family. No family in DFPS will have to pay for participation in services.

I am not sure if the providers are regulated by the government but I would assume so since they are licensed. All of the providers such as therapists, and such are licensed individuals with their own private practice i.e. _my town_______ Counseling Center. These individuals have a contract with DFPS to provide services for families. Although, if a child has Medicaid, then Medicaid actually pays the bill. Through Medicaid, each child can recieve counseling, psychiatric treatment and other services.

Those who teach the class, must have a license and certification. They must also take training through out the year to maintain that license. An example would be Birth to Age 5 and various other classes in order to maintian their certification and licensure.

Hope this helps.
Be Well.... Live Well

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Queenie08 stated:

"If you are enrolled in Parenting Classes, then your case is still open..."

Are you saying that all parents who enroll in parenting classes have open cases with child welfare?

Also stated:
"If the case involves sexual abuse that also involved penetration then the worker more than likely would not approve of the parents seeking an outside resource as that the outside resource would not address certain protective issues regarding sexual abuse."

Are you saying that service providers who have a contract with Child Welfare are "inside resources" and service providers who do not have a contract with Child Welfare are "outside resources?"

Are you saying that courts order parents to receive services only from service providers who have a contract with Child Welfare?

Are you saying that a service provider offers different services, depending on whether Medicaid pays on behalf of Child Welfare or whether a private insurance company pays on behalf of an individual who purchases the services for themselves? Sometimes courts order parents to pay for their own services if they can afford them.

If a parent has private health insurance that covers mental health services, isn't it Medicaid fraud for Child Welfare to bill Medicaid for those services?

Kenneth2816

Postby Kenneth2816 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:19 pm

My experience is that a third party resource is best. United Way does this stuff...and for the most part, they are unafilliated with CPS. Service providers on the Medicaid dole are about as bad as CPS-run classes.

I dont think a court can specifically tell you (if you make an issue of it) you have to attend only one certain class.

Our parenting sessions were a twice weekly class we paid $10.00 a session for which lasted 4 weeks (8 total one hour sessions), and the guy running it would ONLY report to CPS that we came, we made good progress, we did not miss any. The way he put it was:

I may not tell them what they want to hear, but I will tell them what they need to hear".

I would not attend any County Mental Health course either, as they are on the same payroll as CPS. Plus they are more likley to back the same sytem they are part of than a 3rd party. Just my thoughts.

Return to “Round Table”