Child Support Question

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

stolenchild

Child Support Question

Postby stolenchild » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:01 pm

I am in PA and our case was started ten years ago. It ended in 2000. During that time CPS collected over $35,000 in child support during a 2 and a half year period from my husband. I was always a stay at home mom but during the whole ordeal I did some temping work to stay busy and help pay the legal bills. I did not work the whole time as jobs would come and go. Anyway, CPS also started collecting money from my paycheck. When two of my children returned home I quit my job to be home with them. I now have approx. $17,000 in child support arrears. I have since started homeschooling and domestic relations just want proof that I am doing that and they leave me alone for another year. Recently I received a court document saying that I had to go to court. I sent a copy of the court order that I have stating the order has been continued generally but now they are threatening that I go to court. I have no money, my husband has left and I am still homeschooling. Is there anything I can do to stop domestic relations harassing me? I can't pay all my household bills so how can I pay the state?

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:35 am

the laws regarding child support differ from state to state and circumstance to circumstance. i do know in georgia where i from, child support, during times of foster care, cannot exceed what the state pays for the care of the child. $35000 and $17000, if that rule applied in your state would far exceed the care of the child and only pad the pockets of the system. i would try to find the laws regarding child support, take the tax returns of that year and try to do a rough calcuation. also, i would see if being together if only one parent paying would have helped cover the expense of both children. the first thing is though finding out the child support laws.

stolenchild

Thanks

Postby stolenchild » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks for responding to my question. I have been researching the laws on this, it's not easy to find information but they definitely are taking more that they should - it's just so hard to fight the government!!!

Return to “Round Table”