Presenting Yourself Well In Court

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

HappyMommyx4

Presenting Yourself Well In Court

Postby HappyMommyx4 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Obviously it is very important to present yourself well in court. I am use to speaking in front of a large crowd and I am not easily intimidated. What I would like to ask you is what did you wear to court? I like to look nice, always have my nails done and my hair done and my kids look nice too. I have recently gained some weight and do not have any dress pants that fit and all of our money is going to lawyers and plane tickets. Would nice jeans with heals and a blouse be okay? I would probably do a black blouse, black heals, and perhaps a pearl necklace. My CPI has greasy hair, a chipped tooth, and looks like she recently crawled out of the trailer park so as long as I look better than her I am sure I am in good shape. My husband will be in military uniform. I want to be sure every single duck is in a row right down to what I wear.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:59 am

Dark, well pressed jeans would probably be fine but I would, if it were me, purchase a pair of slacks.

Keep the heels low. Go very easy on make-up. Nail color should be neutral.

If the pearls add elegance, wear them. If not....stick with basic jewelry, that is, small earrings, a watch, a wedding bad. I would not wear diamonds.

You are right that dark colors are best.

Be prepared for them to really come at you in court. They are your adversaries.

Above all, remain calm. Silently count to ten if you have to.

Discuss this with your attorney:

It is best to give short answers. Do not talk too much.

Be direct and to the point.

Good luck.

HappyMommyx4

Postby HappyMommyx4 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:01 am

An inspector general from the pentagon sent a written request to the judge for no bail and maximum sentence. I had my chance to speak because I was the "victim." When I was done my husband was out on bail and at this point most of the charges have been dropped. I am a force to be reckoned with. I have gone toe-to-toe with the highest ranking men on our base. I am not loud or rude, I make a short and concise but powerful point and I am good at it (thanks to years in leadership positions in the military family support groups). This judge and CPS do not intimidate me. I am not a weak battered wife with her children living in filth who is on here saying she doesn't understand why her kids were taken. I think they don't like me because I handle myself extremely well and they do not intimidate me. I think CPS wants to see the pathetic crying mother who begs them not to take her children, it is not going to happen because I am not giving them what they want.

I am wearing black dress pants with short heels (3 inches which puts me at 6'1"), and a nice blouse. I think that should do pretty well. My husband is going to wear his class As. I am not in complete agreement with him wearing a military uniform because America is ignorant and sees a man in a military uniform and assumes he personally murdered half of Iraq.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Good for you. Stand strong.

Wishing you the best.

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 am

The way you present yourself is so important when going to court.

I think Class A Uniforms are sharp in any branch. I think the judges need to be reminded sometimes that there are people fighting for their freedom.
Parents spend so much time teaching our kids not to go with strangers or talk to strangers, and no to show your body to strangers. And this is what CPS-DHS is all about.

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:14 pm

I had 3 suits I wore to court 1 was a black dress suit with pin stripes very professional looking. I wore black heals that were about 2 inches. I also had very little make up on and it was neutral in color. The second was a black pants suit with a light pink striped dress shirt I wore boots under the slacks so mostly you couldn't tell they boots they had a 3 inch heal to them. The other was a suit with black pin striped pants and a black and white dress shirt with stripes on them. I never wore any jewlery excpt a watch and wedding band. I spoke in short direct sentances but I wasn't asked to speak much.

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Being a man I wore new blue jeans and a white dress shirt
the collar open, and I was pro se for cross examination!

I have heard conflicting stories about what to
wear into court, some say to dress sharp and
business like, but I've also heard that you
want to dress like PARENTS, much less formal.

Some women have suggested dressing a bit
more old fashioned like Suzy Homemaker or
June Cleaver as a way to look more like a Mom.

I think I even wore a t-shirt to court one of the four days.

I was pro se for cross examination but was NOT
trying to pretend at being an attorney.

Return to “Round Table”