It's over.

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM


Postby MaggieC » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Look online or in the phone book for your nearest Legal Aid office.

You can speak with an attorney there.

It may be problematic in that your name was not on the deed etc but then, depending upon your state of residence, it may not be.

At least give him a run for his money. At least try.

Please seek out Legal Aid in your area.

User avatar
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 am
Location: Georgia

Postby katgotsteve » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 pm


this is what i would do... go to the courthouse and talk to people that work there, deputies, clerk of court, etc. tell your story (a short version minus the cps thing). ask them if they know of any good lawyers willing to take a case that could be paided by the other party and maybe no retainer. sometime they will talk to you sometimes they wont. then get a phone book and either call or go by the offices. talk to secretaries about the issue. they can tell you if thier boss will take the case or refer you to someone who will.

next, you need to work on your self worth. get a job, even if it is mcdonald's becuase that will build your confidence. all the things you have said must have come from him all these years.
you have to remember that you are worth everything, you are a good person and a good parent. hang in there. it will take a little time, but you can do it.


User avatar
Posts: 3171
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: Northern California

Postby LindaJM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:03 pm

If the court clerks won't give you any lawyer names, look through recent court cases for divorce cases. They're easy to find because the last names will be the same (Smith v. Smith, Jones v. Jones, etc.)... these cases are all open to the public. You can look at them and find out which lawyers are winning cases, then talk to them and ask for help.

If possible stay at a women's shelter near where your children are. Don't be pushed aside. See if you can get a low income apartment around that area, or Section 8 help. If you're staying in a battered women's shelter you may have priority status for a Section 8 housing certificate. Then find a job, part or full time. It may be hard during the recession but take anything you can get. Make a home for the children. Section 8 might allow you to get a home large enough to get the children back. Stay in that area if at all possible - it shows you're still in the fight to get your children back.

Don't feel defeated... instead, realize you're stronger than you ever knew you could be and this test is going to prove that in many ways.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

User avatar
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:20 am
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa

Postby Greegor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm

searcher: Did you post WHY there was a CPS case in
the first place? If it was not founded, then why
was it an issue with a service plan, etc.?

You said you were not the best person.
Was this just depression talking or did you actually DO
something which caused the breakup or CPS case?

What is your husband's motivation for dumping you?

How did he kick you out of the house?

Has CPS said you are to stay away from your kids
even though you were unfounded??

The courts usually give the house to the
spouse with the kids, and that's usually
the woman.

Is the house paid off, partly owned, rented or what?

His name on things doesn't mean diddly in divorce.

Have you contacted legal aid corporation about
getting an attorney?

If he doesn't have the kids then every bit
of community property is half yours.

It's extremely common that CPS tries to
"divide and conquer" families but you never
mentioned any of that in your story.

Do you feel there is a reason that he would
get the kids in a divorce?

You were the primary caretaker to the kids, right?

Return to “Round Table”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests