Effexsor and lithium

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Katy

Effexsor and lithium

Postby Katy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:07 am

Hello all-

I am wondering if anyone has tried Effexsor for depression and if so, if it made them excessively sleepy. One of the mom's from my girl's Brownie troop said it does to her (like me) and she was prescribed lithium to balance it out. Has anyone tried or heard of this? Will speak to my psychiatrist on Monday, but I'm hoping for more info to back up this one suggestion.

Thanks all Katy

scarfyrre

Postby scarfyrre » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Did you ever find out?

I was once on Effexor and Lithium, and I admit I was draggy most of the time. There was also some nasty side effect, but I've been on so many things I can't remember if it was weight gain or what.

Why can't they make anti-depressants that help you lose weight? Just that extra 10-20 pounds. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm now on Lithium and Wellbutrin and I have never felt better. I wake up perky, my mood is stable, and I handled the last 7 months with CPS only wanting to kill them and not myself. :)

Katy

Postby Katy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 pm

thanks for replying!

When I saw the clinical psychologist he said there was a new drug out that was not addictve and used with Effexsor to combat the sleepiness, but he didn't know the name. I have been diagnosed with dysthymia- chronic depression.

Hopefully in the next week I will see the doctor and get a supplement to help me with this! And I'll be sure to ask about the lithium!

I hope you had a wonderful winter solistice! Katy

scarfyrre

Postby scarfyrre » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:02 am

I bet he's talking about that new Ambien. It's narcotic-free, but when the commercial describes the after effects it reminds me of OC sleep aids. I think it's Ambien LC or somethiing like that.

I take normal Ambien and love it. I actually sleep good for the first time in a couple of decades.

Good luck, hon. :) My winter solstice was great. :) I didn't celebrate as I *should*, but we did the usual Santa thing. Ritual will have to wait. :wink:

laceybug26

I've Tried Them Both

Postby laceybug26 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:43 pm

I am currently taking both lithium and effexor. Unfortunatly, neither helps with the tired and groggy feeling. I know that some phyciatrist are now prescribing meds like adderall, ritalin, and other stimulants with lithium. I know that most people benefit from that combination, and it helps with weight loss too. Just be carefull and take as recommended because stimulants can become habit forming.
You may have recently seen the amber alert for baby boy Mithell on television. I was put in jail because I would not give my baby to child protective services. They showed up at my door with nothing more than their own signatures, not one document was issued by a judge. The social worker informed me that my son had tested posetive in his drug screening. I reviewed the results from the two test completed, he was tested thru urine and meconium. The results showed to be conflicting, stating on one that he was posetive for only benziadipine which I was perscribed (urine), and the other posetive only for methanphedamine (meconium). Is that possable? I was very honest with my ob-gyn and made sure that every possable test and treatment had been given. I had ceased all things harmful to my baby. I did everything exactly the way I was instructed, only to discover that CPS WOULD TAKE MY CHILDREN ANYWAY. Do you have any advice on my situation. Thank you so much for your time and God bless.

Return to “Medical Issues”