Termination of Medicaid for parents

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Marina

Termination of Medicaid for parents

Postby Marina » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Medicaid termination for parents responding to ASFA

The North Carolina Courts System

http://www.nccourts.org/Citizens/CProgr ... dicaid.pdf
Last edited by Marina on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 pm

My friend had her medicaid terminated when her children were taken into foster care. At this time, the goal is return of the children. But suddenly not having healthcare is a very bad problem, since she has health problems.

DesertSkye

WOW

Postby DesertSkye » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:44 am

where did you find this?????
A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with like weight of pain,
As much or more we should ourselves complain.
William Shakespeare

Marina

Termination of Medicaid

Postby Marina » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:50 am

I found the above website the same way I found everything else. Keep doing keyword searches until I come up with something. I had homeschool for my children, without a formal curriculum, so got in the habit of taking large quantities of information and scanning it for relevance and presenting it to children in a few minutes. I don't have a record of the progression of searches, but if you have a problem, I could do a series of searches and keep a record of how it evolves.

Out of necessity I have researched many topics to the point of being passionate about communicating my findings.

Here is the letter from VA Dept of Social Services verifying this at the state level:

Reply to VA Dept of SS)
I am sorry I didn't explain the question better. The person I am talking about is a mother whose children have been taken into foster care, the goal is reunification, and she is under a foster care plan where services are being provided, such as mental health evaluation, etc. and psychological evaluation, etc. which I assume is being funded by Medicaid. However, she is told by the social worker that she is no longer eligible for the regular Medicaid which she was receiving while the children were at home.

Can she get regular Medicaid written into her foster care services plan, as long as the goal is reunification, since having adequate medical care, especially medicine for her nerves, would help facilitate her in complying with all the other requirements, such as complying with the mental health alcohol program, the psychological evaluation and recommendations, the family counseling, etc. needed for reunification of the family.

Wouldn't this fall under the Comprehensive Services Act, also?

Here is an article on this:

medicaid termination for parents responding to ASFA

http://www.nccourts.org/Citizens/CProgr ... dicaid.pdf

(VA Dept of SS reply)
"Unfortunately she is not eligible for Medicaid unless she meets one of the covered groups. She would either have to be determined disabled, or have a dependent child residing in her home. Once the reunification occurs, she may be eligible to begin receiving Medicaid again.

I would recommend contacting one of the resources I listed to find out about any services available to assist her especially with the prescriptions. The Together Rx Access Card program is a prescription program for individuals who do not have health coverage. The income limits for this program are substantially higher than the Medicaid income limits. The toll-free number for the Together Rx Access Card program is 1-800-444-4106.

You may already be aware of these resources; however contacting them will be the best option at this time. If I can be of any assistance to you please let me know. I wish there was more I could do to help.

Thanks

Sherry Sinkler-Crawley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply-To: <[email protected]>
To: ____
CC: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: Medical Assistance
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:34:07 -0500

Hello ____,

This is in response to the email you sent to the Virginia Department of Social Services citizen services regarding Medicaid policy for adults whose children have been placed in foster care.

In order to be eligible for Medicaid, an individual must meet a covered group or target population. Covered groups include individuals who are over age 65, blind, disabled, parents with dependent children, children under age 19, and pregnant women.

The Medicaid definition of “disability” is the same as the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) disability definition - a severe medical condition lasting at least 12 consecutive months, or will result in death, that prevents the individual from working. If your husband is younger than 65 years, and believes he is disabled, he can request a disability determination from SSA or through a Medicaid application with the department of social services in the locality where he lives. The SSA disability determination is binding for the purposes of Medicaid eligibility. An individual who is not in a covered group is not eligible for Medicaid.

If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid as a parent of a dependent child, you may want to reapply for Medicaid if you feel your health situation is disabling. If you are disabled but have not had a disability determination completed by the Social Security Administration (SSA), the eligibility worker who processes your application will make a referral for one.

There are some other resources available for individuals who do not qualify for state medical assistance programs. The State Corporation’s Bureau of Insurance (BOI) offers information about health insurance plans that may be more affordable than the plan offered by your husband’s employer. You may contact the BOI toll-free at 1-800-552-7945 or visit their web site at www.state.va.us/scc.

I also encourage you to contact the Virginia Department of Social Services Information and Referral Services (I&R) toll-free at 1-800-230-6977 or www.vaiandr.com. I&R provide free and confidential information on a wide variety of resources available in your area. Virginia now has the 2-1-1 telephone number to provide free and easy access to health and human services. Dialing this three digit number will allow you to quickly access referrals to local departments of social services, community action agencies, and additional organizations.

I sincerely hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Sherry Sinkler-Crawley

Medical Assistance Program Consultant

Virginia Dept. of Social Services

7 N 8th Street, Richmond,Va. 23219

[email protected]

804-726-7367(o) 804-726-7357(fax)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - --

My friend I am helping, who I don't know very well, but through someone else, called me one night and was upset about an incident with the foster care parents and the foster care worker. There was miscommunication about requirements and conditions of the week-end visit with her children. She had met the requirement, because I took her personally to have something taken care of. But the foster care parents didn't want to let her see the children until the situation was confirmed with the foster care worker.

As you can imagine, for a mother struggling with post-alcoholism, and taken off of anti-depressants from Termination of Medicaid, this was "hard," to put it politely.

In her foster care plan, she is supposed to be able to recognize "triggers" to alcoholism. Well, this is one of them. After she called me on a Sat. night, I started to recognize the similarities of her "conversation" with those of a relative who had Alzheimers. When Alzheimers patients are moved from home to a group home, or from a group home to rehab for a broken bone, or have physical therapy, they experience "Transition trauma." When I stayed with my aunt, she became "depressed" at times, and I had to push her wheelchair down to the medicine cart and tell the nurse that she didn't feel well, and the nurse would give her an antidepressant, or whatever they give.

If a person has been on antidepressants up until the present, and their children are taken into foster care, and they are expected to suddenly get a job, low income and alcoholism are factors, and there are no relatives available for support, you can imagine the struggle this is for someone.
Last edited by Marina on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

DesertSkye

Standard replies

Postby DesertSkye » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:36 am

This woman gave you a standard sorry can't help reply!
o rue! As usal

Her children have not been taken away from her so they are still her children...they are still her dependents

As has been stated many times...they ignore laws and create their own!

This is a good piece of info though and somehting most would not readily find..

Wonder if we can make a sticky for it
A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,

We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;

But were we burdened with like weight of pain,

As much or more we should ourselves complain.

William Shakespeare

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm

I guess you can do a sticky.

I am new to this site.

I need to email Dept. of Health, Dept. of Mental Health, and Medicaid to verify also.

Here are some other related links found in the process. I guess I did save some after all.

returning home from foster care – what policy makers need to know

http://www.ncsl.org/public/catalog/pubs ... ccode=xhum

National Conference of State Legislatures

(near the bottom)
Returning Home from Foster Care: What Policymakers Need to Know (This concise, comprehensive summary, prepared by an expert in the field, explores this important issue confronting lawmakers. Length: 5 to 7 pages.)
Author: S Christian
Item No. 0173022612 . . . . $ 7.00

discontinue Medicaid Poverty law
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=M ... 1&.intl=us

Medicaid to homeless
Medicaid eligibility to adults without dependent children
http://www.hrsa.gov/homeless/pdf/pa4_po ... scontinue'

Medicaid – improving health, saving lives low income adults uninsured
http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=Medi ... 1&.intl=us

Go directly to work, Do not collect health Insurance

http://www.wkkf.org/Pubs/Devolution/FUS ... _02518.pdf

Improper terminations Medicaid Virginia Legal Aid Society
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=i ... 1&.intl=us

Medicaid waivers Vermont foster care
http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=impr ... 1&.intl=us
Last edited by Marina on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greegor

Postby Greegor » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:38 am

On the subject of Medicaid the CPS agencies have
a routine problem. They rush to put kids on
Medicaid without first finding out about whether
the child is already insured through a parents
work or otherwise. My SO did have insurance
on the child and the CPS never even asked,
which made them guilty of Medicaid fraud.
They had an ulterior motive and that was to
cut the mother OUT of medical care for the child
who was in a hostile kinship care setting.
In fact, they changed the child's doctor
without permission and took her for treatment
without permission.

As part of the agencies harassment of my SO
they moved to change the child support burden
around to her also, since the child was no longer
in our home. The deadbeat Dad's amount
was reduced to like $20 a month because
of his income even though he's 30+ years old
and lives in his parents very nice home,
CHOOSING to work only occasionally.
My SO pointed out to the court that he should
not have his amount reduced because he
CHOOSES NOT TO WORK and so has low income.
My SO was ordered to INSURE the child, as her
child support since it was HUNDREDS
of dollars a month through her work place
insurance. Later her workplace got a new
insurance provider a bit less expensive.
My SO actually wanted to put me under her
work insurance, there was all kinds of stuff
about how gay "partners" could be covered so
we tried filling out the forms. The insurance company
and the workplace gave us all kinds of crap
because we were engaged but not married.
I pointed out that neither are gay people!
They wouldn't do it since we were NOT GAY!

Iowa advertizes a state "Hawkeye" insurance
for working parents who can't afford insurance
through work, and we checked that out, but
that LOW COST program will not cover a child
who is in kinship care and would qualify for Medicaid.

Return to “Medical Issues”