Childs Developemental delays

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

McKnights

Childs Developemental delays

Postby McKnights » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:36 pm

Does anyone think if they remove a child at 10 days (from birth) that it may cause developement delays, my daughter has delays in almost every catagory, some worse then others but not to bad, i did read somewhere that, a child who is removed before 6months could go into a state of depression, with that leading to a drop in the ammune system, getting sick, then multiple ear infections, which could have played a role in the issues that she has the most problems with, talking and walking? are there any findings on this? The doctors who have seen her can not explain what has caused or is causing the delays

marilee

Postby marilee » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:31 pm

It is extremely unlikely that removing a child at 10 days of age could have any impact on that child's development.

The following answers would be of more importance:

1. Was the pregnancy normal?
2. Did the mother receive adequate prenatal care, and follow treatment recommendations?
3. Was there a long labor? Complications? Was the child delivered vaginally, or by c-section?
4. How old is the child now?
5. What specifically is "delayed?" and how do you come to the conclusion that the child had any delays?
6. Is this a first child? second, third?

Please answer the above and I'll be better able to answer the orginial question ...

Peace and Blessings,
Marilee

Marina

Postby Marina » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:04 pm

If you do a web search for

psychological effects infants adoption research

and other related searches, you can find some information.

This is an article from the Federal webiste:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_adimpact.cfm

McKnights

Postby McKnights » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:23 am

1. Was the pregnancy normal?
2. Did the mother receive adequate prenatal care, and follow treatment recommendations?
3. Was there a long labor? Complications? Was the child delivered vaginally, or by c-section?
4. How old is the child now?
5. What specifically is "delayed?" and how do you come to the conclusion that the child had any delays?
6. Is this a first child? second, third?

1. Yes full term
2. Yes she did
3.no Vaginal
4. 2 and a half
5. basically she is delayed in all areas, just started walking recently, and making sounds
6. this is my fiances 5th and my 2nd
My Heart is only Cracked,
My Body is only scared,
My Mind is only scrambled,
My Soul isnt complete,

Through Him, Is The Way,
That leaves everything in Place,
and everything said above,
Shall Never Be Broken

His Will, Shall Be Done

marilee

Postby marilee » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 pm

I apologize ... I also should have asked how long was the child in a placement?

Has the child been evaluated by a pediatric neurologist? Or person who specializes in development? Without being able to view the child and/or examine her myself ... there are a number of factors that could have contributed to a developmental delay ...

But first and foremost would be to enroll the child in an "early intervention program" NOW ... these programs are wonderful!! and can do some amazing things with helping a child to catch up. My son was in a program called "Stride" when we lived in Wyoming. When he started the program he was 2 1/2 years old, but delayed to about 18 months. By the time, he was 4 years old, he was caught up and basically on track. (He was a traumatic, c-section birth to a teenage mother.)

Okay ... a little background -- when a child is in foster care, the foster parent is required to take that child to the pediatrician at regular intervals, have the child immunized, and follow all treatment guidelines etc. We (Ca.) have a team of PHN's (public health nurses) who also monitor the children ... and the social worker can at any time request the PHN evaluate a child. We (the S.W.) are also trained to be observant for physical, emotional, developmental delays, problems etc. Although, sometimes things aren't evident until the child is older ...

I don't know what may have happened with your child ... but I would not delay in doing the following (if you haven't yet done so) ... Pediatrican evaluation, followed by possible evals by physical therapist, and/or occupational therapist.

Things to be concerned about would be: Cerebral Palsy, Autism, Muscular Dystrophy, Cystic Fibrosis to name a few ... but please don't obsess about them... you need for the child to have a complete evaluation first, and then go from there ...

Another point would be ... IF there was a connection with developmental delays and removing a newborn from the birth parent and placing in foster care ... the rates would be through the sky ... and that just isn't the case ... :roll: (At least not here in the States. I could tell you lots for other countries though).

I hope this helps you a bit ...

~Marilee

Return to “Medical Issues”