impulse disorder ?

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

lynn5067

impulse disorder ?

Postby lynn5067 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:17 pm

the psychologist has said my daughter has add or adhd and she has impulse diorder
i know what add, adhd and ocd are but what is impulse disorder the search im doing is coming up with stuff that i dont feel fits her
im not in denial i agree with add or adhd but i dont understand impulse disorder
any information on this would be greatly appreciated
fighting for my family

gemgem

Postby gemgem » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:34 pm

One of my sons had adhd, odd and possible cd. I thought that adhd covered the impulse control issue? Thats what my dr explained it to me as?

Marina

Postby Marina » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:14 pm

Impulse-control disorder
http://psyweb.com/Mdisord/jsp/impud.jsp

Impulse-control disorder is on the list of Diagnostic Codes.

Psychologists use these codes for insurance purposes.

This website has free online testing.
http://psyweb.com/Mdisord/DSM_IV/jsp/dsm_iv.jsp

If you answer "I don't know" to all the questions for depression, you will still get a code.

If a child can be labeled when in foster care, the foster parents will get more money. Also the adoptive parents. Also the state for adoption bonuses.

In Virginia, mental abuse is listed under Levels of Founded Dispositions.

This fact can be used against CPS in a Statement of Facts.

- - - - - - -

Virginia CPS Policy Manual

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/divis ... policy.pdf

page 169
4.0 Levels of Founded Dispositions
4.1 A Level 1 Finding

page 170
c. For mental abuse or neglect, the child has engaged in selfdestructive
behavior, or has required psychiatric hospitalization, or
required treatment for severe dysfunction or for presenting a danger
to self or others, or for problems related to the caretaker
behavior;

4.2 A Level 2 Finding

page 171
c. For mental abuse or neglect, the situation would be one where the
child's emotional needs are rarely met; the child's behavior is
problematic at home or school;

4.3 A Level 3 Finding

page 172
c. For mental abuse or neglect, the situation would be one where the
child's emotional needs are met sporadically with evidence of some
negative impact on the child's behavior;

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In June there was an article in a professional journal about the definition of emotional maltreatment. The article has been archived and is not accessible without a password. This is all I had saved about it under the News Section.

Emotional Maltreatment of Children: Relationship to Psychopathology

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/arc ... 03534.html

According to Hamarman and colleagues, there are still no consensus definitions to guide us in the identification of emotionally abused children.

- - - - - - -

The article is quoted on another website:

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/arc ... 03534.html

The article covers two main types of emotional maltreatment:

One type, emotional abuse, the more obvious analog to physical or sexual abuse, is easier to identify and to measure. The other type, emotional neglect, is more subtle yet pervasive and possibly more damaging than emotional abuse, and poses even more challenging barriers to definition and study. Emotional neglect is often better recognized via comparison with its opposite—warm and involved parenting. ...
Despite the relatively sparse research literature [on emotional abuse] compared with that for other types of childhood maltreatment, emotional maltreatment has been shown to be associated with a wide range of Axis I and II psychiatric disorders. ...

The association of emotional abuse to numerous negative adult outcomes (eg, adolescent pregnancy, sexual problems, low self esteem, overall psychiatric diagnoses, eating disorders, depression, suicide attempts, and psychiatric hospitalization) was almost as strong as that for sexual abuse and stronger than that for physical abuse. ...

In adults with schizophrenia, dissociative symptoms have been found to be associated with a history of emotional abuse as well as physical abuse. Similarly, emotional abuse was found to be associated with substance use in patients with schizophrenia. Emotional abuse and neglect, along with other childhood traumas, represent a risk factor for suicide attempts in patients with schizophrenia.

Its important to note that typically child abuse is not out of willful decisions on the part of bad people, but rather the result of situations where a person was him or herself brought up in an environment that resulted in maltreatment (people tend to parent in the same way that they have been parented, unless they make a serious effort to study, learn and practice good parenting skills), or due to a parent having a mental illness or brain disorder (for example depression or anxiety) that causes them to parent in a way that is not conducive to healthy functioning for the child - this is one of the reasons why its so important for parents to be successfully treated for any mental illness if they have children. And of course, maltreatment of children can come from any number of sources - including baby sitters, neighbors, extended family, day care workers, teachers and parents.

lynn5067

Postby lynn5067 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:25 am

when the dr talked to me i said let me guess she is add he said yes but she has a impulse disorder
when i spoke to her she said she answered alot of the questions about depression as a yes and that she cries alot which is not true she might cry once or twice a month i have never seen her depressioned only angry and hyper
my lawyer seems to think that is good news for us i dont know how im sure they will find away to say she has problems because of us
this is all getting so out of control
fighting for my family

lynn5067

Postby lynn5067 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:03 am

marina
thanks for the info the free testing one is very helpful
i took my psyc evaluation the other day and if you do the personality test the questions are the same just not as many so i was able to test myself
now i can see what dr says after i know what the computer tests says
that would be great info to give anyone who had to do a evaluation
i had to download java which took forever but is was worth it
thanks again
fighting for my family

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:46 am

I am glad it helped you.

Know your enemy.

Return to “Medical Issues”