Bedwetting, when a Doctor recommends:

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Frustrated

Bedwetting, when a Doctor recommends:

Postby Frustrated » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:55 pm

If your child has primary nocturnal enuresis, I would not take the child to counseling to solve the problem. It is quite likely that if nothing were done, your child would wet the bed until about the same age as his father. There is no reason to wait until age nine, since effective and safe therapies are now available. The best way to pursue help is to talk with your pediatrician. If you find that for some reason she or he is not able to get your child dry quickly and effectively, I would call the closest Children's Hospital to find out who treats bed-wetting issues.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_585.html

See right there?
WOULD NOT TAKE THE CHILD TO COUNSELLING
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:13 pm

Actually, many of our patients had been previously diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, and after our bedwetting treatment, the symptoms often disappeared. The deep sleep that the bedwetting experience is derived from is an oxygen-deprived, unhealthy sleep. It is because of this that many bedwetting children have symptoms similar to those of ADD/ADHD.

http://www.nobedwetting.com/parents.htm

See right there?

Many children that has had betwetting symptoms SIMILAR TO THOSE OF ADD/ADHD.

No wonder! they must have misdiagnosed my child thinking he had ADHD/ADD, but in turn he had Enuresis. :roll:
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Q: Are bedwetters ever misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder?
A: Many bedwetters have been misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, because the symptoms, such as being easily distracted and unfocused, are produced by the bedwetters' deep-sleep disorder and are almost identical to the symptoms of ADD/ADHD.

http://www.nobedwetting.com/faq.htm#Q13

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:35 pm

The following general recommendations can be helpful:

Don't blame your child. Bedwetting is not their fault. Be understanding that they have no control over the situation.
Make urinating before bedtime a part of the normal routine. Don't allow any fluids for 1 to 2 hours before bedtime and don't allow caffeine at night. You may want to consider awakening them 1 to 2 hours after they go to bed to make them urinate.
Use plastic sheets for the bed. It is reasonable to ask the child to help you change the sheets and place the sheets in the washer, but once again, don't blame the child. Use a pull-up or thick underwear if needed, but don't using diapers is demoralizing.
To increase bladder size, one may want to try to hold urine for extra amounts of time during the day.
Don't be alarmed or irritated about bed wetting events. Casually replace the sheets or cover up the wet spot with a towel.
Don't believe quick fix hype from mail order or the internet. In general there are no easy fixes.
Some physician will try the bed-wetting alarms. These are only 20 to 40 percent effective. However, if they work, it is a permanent fix in many cases.
Another option for your child would be the medications. In general the medications, don't "fix" the problem. They just allow the child time to mature and only work if you take them on a daily basis. It is debatable when to begin these. Often, it will depend on several factors. Probably the two main factors in beginning the medications are embarrassment and frustration. However, there are few physicians that will begin these medications before 5 years old.

Tricyclics: This class of medications is actually an antidepressant generally used in small doses for bedwetting.

Advantages: Fairly effective, relatively inexpensive
Disadvantages: Daytime drowsiness, dry mouth and the fear of toxic ingestion by younger children in the household.
Desmopressin (DDAVP): This is a medication that is a synthetic form of a hormone that the body produces everyday. This drug allows the bladder to hold more urine and causes the body to produce less urine.

Advantages: Very effective, very safe
Disadvantages: Very expensive ( At least $100 per month)

Bedwetting is a very frustrating and embarrassing problem that many children have to endure. The most important thing to remember in this particular problem is that the problem is not something the child can control. For that reason, it is very important not to blame the child. Serious psychological problems can result, if bedwetting is not handled appropriately by the parents.

http://www.brentwoodchildrens.com/bedwetting.htm

I have tried pull ups, did not work.

I have tried 1 to 2 hours before bedtime, did not work.

I have tried stretching the bladder, did not work.

I have tried waking him up late at night to the bathroom, did not work.

Encouraged him to help putting sheets in the washer, did work often.

Do not hawk at him, just ignore the problem and don't worry about it too much. Washer will take care of it, it works alot. He only does it once a week. Before it was 7 times a week. Now it goes down to once a week, and often just once a month. It works alot.

Doctor advised him to do the sheets and put in the washer and ignore the problem, and the problem will diminish and decrease. It was a family hereditary, genetical. His Father has the same problem. His father would have it until early 20's.

He had extensive counselling, did not work. He had it for 8 years. He still wets the bed. Doctors agreed that he has Enuresis, and stated, it will go away once he learns responsibility to put sheets in the washer and we forget about it, and ignore the problem, the problem will go away as time goes by and it will stop. Doctor said he has no problems physically, there is nothing physically wrong with him, he has no bladder infections, no UTI's, nothing. Just a problem with bedwetting, that's all.

CAS Psch. Doctor said he had ADHD/ADD, which was the wrong diagnosis. He had Enernsis. This was a CAS Psch. Doctor who I found was NOT LICENSED by the Psch. Association! It was the same doctor who stated my son had 7 different disorders??? I went back and got private doctor who stated he only had one disorder, which is O.D.D. one of the symptoms are acting out because he is frustrated with his "problem" and wants it cured.

I can't believe these doctors don't know anything about Enernsis???? I can't believe they did make wrong diagnosis. How dangerous is that? What if they did the wrong diagnosis and wrongfully medicates the child under wrong pretenses? I can't believe that CAS Doctor was not licensed....I heard he was no longer in that office, was replaced, I heard with another CAS Doctor! :x

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:55 pm

Psychological problems don't cause bedwetting. However, how parents deal with the situation is vital. A child who has enuresis is already generally disturbed that they have the condition. A parent's disapproval only makes matters worse and may ultimately cause depression or general anxiety.
http://www.brentwoodchildrens.com/bedwetting.htm

See right there?

Psch. Problems DOES NOT CAUSE BEDWETTING.

here's another site that stated that Psch. and Emotions DOES NOT CAUSE BEDWETTING.

http://www.uwstout.edu/lib/thesis/2002/2002sanbornk.pdf

Another wonderful site on bedwetting on iparenting:

http://www.preschoolerstoday.com/resour ... etting.htm

You should educate yourself bout your child on bedwetting and often times CAS Workers do not know anything about it. When a Doctor recommends something, this is what you go by, not what CAS Worker tells you to do. Trust your Doctor as he had studied 10 or more years on medical health about children and adults. CAS Workers are not doctors. They should read up and educate themselves about this condition. If they say you cannot make your child do laundry, it has to depend on his or her age. If he is 12 or 14, then he should be encouraged to do it. If he is only 4, should not do it, maybe helping mommy carry it to the washer and that's it. No more. Everyone needs to be educated bout this condition, Often times people gets the wrong message or wrong statements. That's why I recommend everyone to do a study on it, do research on everything, before CAS Worker does a rash and wrong report writing you up for abusing your child is oftentimes the wrong and false allegations. That happens to several families so I say to them, be educated and be knowledgeable about this condition and educate the Workers about this condition. There are many people that has the problem. It is unwise for them to make threats and blame the child and remove the child as the child will see this as punishement can be devastasting to the child, emotionally and pschlogically for a long, long time. It is the best interests for the child to stay with the parent that knows more about the condition than anyone else who does not know anything about it. I challenge the Workers to be educated about this problem before they consider wrongful removals of children that can or may be harmful for the children's mental state.

4what?

Postby 4what? » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:09 am

I would agree that taking to the child to the doctor is the best option.

Off the topic, funny that unlicensed personel get to diagnose people with DSS or the courts. I would complain to the board in your state about that doctor, if you haven't already.

luvmyboyz

Postby luvmyboyz » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:40 pm

after two years of getting my oldest to the bathroom EVERY two hours I convinced my Dr to get him on some meds.. WHAT a difference. I have been told the spray is better then the pill.

I can tell it helps.

I was getting so tired by the every two hour wake call.

He has ADHD

Return to “Medical Issues”